Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Melky Cabrera ruled ineligible to win batting crown

MLB and the Player's Union make the right call - no thanks to the Commissioner...

SAN FRANCISCO – In an unprecedented agreement between Major League Baseball and union officials, suspended Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera will be ruled ineligible to win the 2012 NL batting title, sources told CSNBayArea.com.

Cabrera asked to be removed from consideration on Wednesday, when his representatives sent a letter to union officials. The Players’ Association worked out a one-time amendment to Rule 10.22(a) with MLB officials on Thursday, one day after Commissioner Bud Selig said publicly that he was not likely to take action on the matter.

Cabrera, who is hitting .346, will finish one plate appearance short of qualifying for the batting title. Rule 10.22(a) permits a player to be recognized as the official winner if extra hitless at-bats are added to his average and it remains higher than any qualifying player. (Cabrera’s average would fall from .3464 to .3456 – still .346 when rounded up.)

Under terms of the agreement, Rule 10.22(a) will not apply to suspended players.

Cabrera’s request to refuse the extra at-bat is a clear attempt to rehab his public image and market value, both of which were tarnished by his Aug. 15 suspension for testing positive for testosterone. The 27-year-old switch hitter sustained further damage to his reputation through subsequent revelations that a liaison paid by his agents, the Levinson brothers, created a phony Web site and product in an attempt to persuade the league that Cabrera inadvertently took a banned substance.

In a statement to be released shortly, Cabrera said he had “no wish to win an award that would be tainted,” and that he “believe[d] it would be far better for someone more deserving to win.”
    Read more here:

The funny thing to me is that Cabrerra has no wish to win an award that would be tainted... but he doesn't want to give back the AS MVP Award? In my humble opinion, that award is just as tainted.

Thoughts?

Banned

Re: Melky Cabrera ruled ineligible to win batting crown

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    MLB and the Player's Union make the right call - no thanks to the Commissioner...

Read more here:

The funny thing to me is that Cabrerra has no wish to win an award that would be tainted... but he doesn't want to give back the AS MVP Award? In my humble opinion, that award is just as tainted.

Thoughts?
    I'm proud of what Melky did making it so he won't win the batting title.

Anything that happened at the All-Star Game is worthless to me. The game has become a joke similiar to the Pro Bowl and I don't care who is All-Star Game MVP as it isn't a real game.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post

Anything that happened at the All-Star Game is worthless to me. The game has become a joke similiar to the Pro Bowl and I don't care who is All-Star Game MVP as it isn't a real game.
    So you're proud he's a cheater?

Or you're proud he stepped up to refuse to take the Batting Title? It only took him a little over a month to get there...

As far as the Pro Bowl - I agree. Any type AS Game played after the season has no significance.

That said, others like myself still enjoy the MLB ASG and ever since it became the deciding factor in WS Home Field Advantage, it has become a much more serious event for both the athletes and the managers. Where managers once played everyone, just to play them, now they are looking at the match-ups and playing to win.

Either way, without knowing Melky's 'testing schedule' - he may not have been tested at all since Spring Training - it's possible he was using during the ASG and that makes his MVP Award tainted as well. We'll never know for sure unless proof comes out that he was tested and was clean at the time of the game.

So, if you're proud of him, the I'm guessing you support Giambi, A-Rod, McGwire and every other athlete that has owned up to his use.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post

I misread your 1st statement, so apologies about the cheater comment... but I stand by the rest of my post.

Banned

Problem is I'm the guy who doesn't care what anyone puts in their body. I don't like people knowingly putting crap in their body that is against the rules of the sport, but I feel if you can drink a potion and hit ten extra home runs, but the side affect is you may die at 48 of heart failure, you know the risks and you can make your own decisions.

No one cares about players in the NBA smoking marijuana and it is excessive the number of players who use it in this sport. It isn't tested for in NBA drug tests (smart choice) but no one cares because it doesn't help you jump higher.

To me a drug is a drug and the fact that people want to risk health and happiness for a paycheck or glory is sad but it is their choice. If they get caught, then let's punish them but how may are getting away with no punishment.

I think what has happened to Lance Armstrong in the last week is a joke and an embarrassment to sport - Weather he used or not, it doesn't matter - They are using sworn statements by other drug abusers against him? Good grief, Charlie Brown.

I don't believe any in season All Star Game or post season ASG is a recognizable game. It is played for the fans, but records are worthless in such events. Now, give me a 1950's through 1970's MLB ASG and I'll give you a different tune but these modern games are for the fans and not recognizable achievements.

I do not care who won the award for best player at a mid-summer classic that isn't a real game anymore. People should spend their time on more important topics than worrying about if the caught cheater gives back his All Star Game MVP Award because there is much more useful things to do with our time. Don't ask me what, I just wrote a book about the topics.

I agree with Joel that a drug is a drug. I will also add that marijuana would have many performance affecting abilities. There is a big mental side of sports and we see it all of the time; a goalie gives up an early goal and everything goes downhill from there, a pitcher who doesn't get a call and then throws a meatball the next pitch, or basketball player who gets nerves and can't hit a free throw.

Give each of those players a few tokes before the game and they are much more relaxed and carefree.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    I agree with Joel that a drug is a drug. I will also add that marijuana would have many performance affecting abilities. There is a big mental side of sports and we see it all of the time; a goalie gives up an early goal and everything goes downhill from there, a pitcher who doesn't get a call and then throws a meatball the next pitch, or basketball player who gets nerves and can't hit a free throw.

Give each of those players a few tokes before the game and they are much more relaxed and carefree.

According to Dock Ellis 90% of the players were using dexamyl back in the days.

interesting and hilarious interview imho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOqHLeKGH0
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.