Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Follow us on
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger
Page 6 of 87 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Wink Re: Random crazy trivia fact

A Major League Baseball first, according to a Facebook post by MLB:

For the first time ever, the hit leaders in each league are named M. Cabrera.

Dave Miedema

Re: Random crazy trivia fact

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    A Major League Baseball first, according to a Facebook post by MLB:

For the first time ever, the hit leaders in each league are named M. Cabrera.

Dave Miedema
    I appreciate these posts, Dave. I learn a lot from them.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Exclamation Re: Random crazy trivia fact

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I appreciate these posts, Dave. I learn a lot from them.
    Thanks, Leslie:

A MLB first occurred in the White Sox 9-8, 14-inning win in Kansas City Friday night. The Sox used 9 pitchers in the game. That in and of itself wasn't the first; rather, it was the fact that 8 of the 9 were rookies. (Thanks to Fred Huebner of WMVP-AM1000).

Dave Miedema

Cool Re: Random crazy trivia fact

Bigtruck, Birdbats, etc., you'll like this one.

In the game just completed, the St. Louis Cardinals scored 12 runs in one inning at the expense of the Cubs. That tied an 86-year-old team record, first reached on 9/16/26 against the Phillies.

Dave Miedema

Dirtyla2000, this one's for you:

21 years ago toady, Montreal's Dennis Martinez hurls a perfect game against the Dodgers.

Dave Miedema

Exclamation Re: Random crazy trivia fact

Tonight, Kendry Morales of the Angels became the third player in MLB history to hit home runs from both sides of the plate in the same inning. The trick was previously turned by Carlos Baerga (Indians, 1993) and Mark Bellhorn (Cubs, 2002).

Dave Miedema

Greg Maddux faced 20,421 batters during his career and only 310 saw a 3-0 count. 177 of those were intentional walks
    WTB or Trade for LSU GU Jerseys and other LSU GU items email me at gaytorhater703@gmail.com

Here's one...Willie Stargell is the only player in MLB history to score the winning run in two World Series Game 7's. Pops scored the winning run in 1971 & 1979.

Hank Aaron still holds several major records, including most total bases, RBI's, and extra-base hits. He's also # 3 all-time in base hits, more than 3000 of which were NOT home runs. But many don't realize that he's exactly tied with Babe Ruth for fourth place in career runs scored, with 2174.

But for a base-running blunder in one of the weirdest games in history, Aaron would have passed Ruth in runs scored. On May 26, 1959 Harvey Haddix of the Pirates pitched 12 perfect innings versus the Braves at Milwaukee, but was still pitching in the 13th with a 0-0 score. Mantilla reached on an error, preserving the no-hitter though the perfecto was blown. He was sacrificed to second, and Aaron was intentionally walked.

Then Joe Adcock hit one over the fence. Aaron thought it landed short of the fence, so he touched second when the saw the lead run score for a walkoff win. He then headed to the dugout, passing Adcock on his HR trot. Adcock was called out for passing Aaron, and Aaron thus missed scoring a run as the final was 1-0 instead of the 3-0 it should have been. Aaron sheepishly describes his blunder in his autobiography, " If I had a Hammer." He doesn't mention there that his blunder left him ultimately tied with Ruth in runs scored.

I think Haddix's effort was called a perfect game for years, because of the 12 perfect innings, before being reclassified as a one-hitter. But it was still called "the greatest game ever pitched." That caused Lew Burdette, who also went 13 innings but yielded 12 hits in his shutout, to say he "won the greatest game ever pitched."

Imagine that...

The brothers Upton, Bj an Justin, BOTH connected for their career 100th home run minutes apart from each other today, 8/3/12.

Wade
    (I love this thread)