Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unnecessary Rudeness!!

I just had another run-in with a prospective buyer (probably a kid), beyond rude. Example:

I've asked you for pictures a couple times but all you do is apologize for not sending?

In the adult world, they're called tire-kickers. In the kid's world they need some personal time in the corner. I work two jobs for a living and should not have to deal with this. I am wondering if you have had the same experience.

Dave Silverbrand
    das1721@att.net

Re: Unnecessary Rudeness!!

Quote Originally Posted by EurekaDave View Post
    I've asked you for pictures a couple times but all you do is apologize for not sending?
    It may not be kind, but it's mild compared to some of the things I've heard during transactions.

I just don't see how this is "beyond rude."
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

If that's "beyond rude" I'd suggest you avoid most all internet message boards.

To me, if he kept requesting pics and kept saying he'd think about it, then that's tire kicking.

If someone is trying to sell an item but can't find the time to send/post photos, then I just categorize them as non-motivated sellers. Like about half the people (at least) selling on CL. I make a couple of photo requests and then just move on.

The assumption that the seller is "probably a kid" is a little ironic to me.

Honestly, there are tons of sellers, young and old, that are slow with getting photos are answering questions.

Often times, the younger ones are actually more motivated to sell and quicker.

Being younger myself (18), I just don't think it's a great idea to get all worked up over kids who have just as much interest in the hobby as others. Not to mention, many of the "kids" on this board, including myself, work full time and attend college.

Just my .02

Perspective makes a big difference.

Have a good one!

-Tyler Flota
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Dave, If you go into any sale expecting the buyer to just be a tire kicker, you will be doing yourself a disservice. That chip on your shoulder will be evident to them and it may cost you the sale.

Like Frik said, this is pretty tame compared to many people's response. Did the person send that after waiting weeks for the pictures, or did they send 3 emails within 18 hours asking where the pictures were? That all makes a difference.

Personally, if a seller can't respond to me in a timely manner I question if they will send the item in a timely manner...and that's about when I move on.

All good points. Thanks. The facts aside, I just think a little civility is called for.

I guess I have a thin skin, maybe too much so for the internet. The only reason I say, "kid" about the guy is because life experience builds perspective. I admire people who work and go to school, people like me who have two jobs, people with health issues, people with all sorts of reasons to be cranky -- but aren't.

Then there are people with youth, energy, and discretionary cash who think it's okay to trash people through cyber-space. I think it embarasses us as a culture.

Go to the Dominican Republic, as I have with kids' baseball stuff, and watch kids playing with sticks and rocks. They smile constantly.

I think we're all spoiled brats and I put myself in that category.

Dave Silverbrand

Quote Originally Posted by EurekaDave View Post
    All good points. Thanks. The facts aside, I just think a little civility is called for.

I guess I have a thin skin, maybe too much so for the internet. The only reason I say, "kid" about the guy is because life experience builds perspective. I admire people who work and go to school, people like me who have two jobs, people with health issues, people with all sorts of reasons to be cranky -- but aren't.

Then there are people with youth, energy, and discretionary cash who think it's okay to trash people through cyber-space. I think it embarasses us as a culture.

Go to the Dominican Republic, as I have with kids' baseball stuff, and watch kids playing with sticks and rocks. They smile constantly.

I think we're all spoiled brats and I put myself in that category.

Dave Silverbrand
    Well said. I completely agree.

-Tyler
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

I say lol get over it.... This was important enough to start a topic, ugh, c'mon

Todd Vernon

toddman26@sbcglobal.net

I think some of the responses here are indicative of fact that people have now come to expect people to be caustic, rude and snide. We are building thicker skins, sure but at the cost of common courtesy. Message boards have created an entire generation of "internet tough guys" and it is spilling over into the real world.

While the example Dave gave wasn't the worst any of us have seen, it's a perfect example of the instant gratification, give me what I want, whiney culture we live in now. I for one am glad he started the post, it's nice to know I'm not the only person fed up with this attitude problem.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Thank you so much for that affirmation. You got my point, exactly.
    Eureka Dave