Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Who's going into HOF?

Eric, if you don't feel this is appropriate for here, feel free to delete. I was wondering who everyone thinks is going to go into the HOF from the Vet's committee.

While I think several on this list deserve to be in the HOF, I can't point at any one player and say that I feel they WILL be chosen, especially since the big pushes for Minoso and Santo fell flat in the last few years.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

2007 VETERANS BALLOTS FINALIZED AS
    SCREENING COMMITTEE COMPLETES SELECTIONS
    27 players, 15 managers, executives, umpires featured on two ballots for Feb. 27 Election
    (COOPERSTOWN, NY): Twenty-seven former major league players and 15 former managers, executives, and umpires comprise two ballots for the 2007 Hall of Fame Veterans Committee election, on which Veterans Committee members will cast their votes, with results to be announced on February 27. Any candidate(s) named on 75% of ballots cast will earn election and be honored in Cooperstown on July 29, during Hall of Fame Weekend, along with any candidate(s) named in the 2007 Baseball Writers’ Association of America (BBWAA) balloting, results to be announced January 9.

The final Players and Composite Ballots, to be voted upon by living Hall of Fame members, as well as the Ford C. Frick and J.G. Taylor Spink Award winners, currently a voting body of 84, as of today:
    PLAYERS BALLOT (alphabetically)

Dick Allen
    Joe Gordon
    Roger Maris
    Tony Oliva
    Cecil Travis
    Bobby Bonds
    Gil Hodges
    Carl Mays
    Al Oliver
    Mickey Vernon
    Ken Boyer
    Jim Kaat
    Minnie Minoso
    Vada Pinson
    Maury Wills
    Rocky Colavito
    Mickey Lolich
    Thurman Munson
    Ron Santo

Wes Ferrell
    Sparky Lyle
    Don Newcombe
    Luis Tiant

Curt Flood
    Marty Marion
    Lefty O’Doul
    Joe Torre

COMPOSITE BALLOT (alphabetically)

Buzzie Bavasi
    Charles O. Finley
    Bowie Kuhn
    Walter O’Malley
    Bill White
    August Busch Jr.
    Doug Harvey
    Billy Martin
    Gabe Paul
    Dick Williams
    Harry Dalton
    Whitey Herzog
    Marvin Miller
    Paul Richards
    Phil Wrigley

Banned

Re: Who's going into HOF?

I mean maybe some of you might not agree with me on this but I will say I think should be at the top of this list to go in. Should be Roger Maris, for obvious reasons. Even though his playing did decline tremdously towards the end of his career. I personally think the fact that breaking such a cherish record set by Ruth, puts Maris on a petistal, but thats just my opinion.

Sure other players on the list might of had better overall seasons then Maris, still he made a huge accomplishment which wasn't even touched untill over 30 years later by artifically induced results.

I bet Gil Hodges will make it.
    While Roger Maris and Curt Flood have been in my "personal" Hall of Fame for years.

My choices?

Gil Hodges - no brainer- should have been in 20 years ago.

Jim Kaat - a .544 winning percentage is not so hot but 283 wins for some lousy teams over 25 years deserves some merit.

Rocky Colavito - another no brainer

Thurman Munson - Munson, Bench, Fisk.....3 of the best catchers in the 70's, easy choice.

Ron Santo - solid ballplayer, fan favorite. A slider perhaps but deserving.

Banned

I've always wondered why Thurnan Munson is not honored with the other greatest ballplayers of all time. He has been ignored for years.

I'll say that Billy Martin would be a perfect choice, but he'll stay with Munson on the outside looking in.

I also think Gil Hodges should get the nod... I don't agree on Munson or Maris... but that's what makes the world go 'round.

I'll add to the list Wes Ferrell (he was great in the movie "Elf")

Seriously, I don't see any of the others getting in. There are some great players there -- Newcombe, Kaat, Santo to name a few... but I don't think their lifetime stats are of the caliber of the others who have made it over the years.

I hope this thread continues for awhile. Too many people are left out for who knows what reason, but it really does not seem to add up. Of non pitchers, here are some thoughts.

Statistically if Kirby Puckett is in, so should Tony Oliva. 5 time Hit champ, 3 time Batting Avg. Champ, also was Slugging Average & Run champion for a year. He was a very solid all-around player plagued by bad knees that caused him to retire early.

Dick Allen is another. 3 time Slugging Champ, 2 time Home Run Champ, 1 x RBI champ. Portrayed as a jerk in his day by the media (I have never met the man), but someone who was always feared at the plate.

Ron Santo is yet another. Continually amongst the leaders in On Base Percentage, slugging, and RBI's, he was also a fantastic 3rd baseman only bettered in his day, by Brooks Robinson in my opinion. Point.....what percentage of all HOF's are 3rd Baseman? This needs to change! Name a National League 3rd baseman who outplayed Santo annually offensively and defensively.

Last, one which was not on the list below, Ken Williams. One of two men to interupt Babe Ruth's hold as the yearly A.L. Home Run Crown in the 20's (1922, the other was 1925, an injury riddled year for Babe I believe). Regardless, lifetime .319 batting avg., .393 OBP, and .530 slugging avg., but had only 6 seasons of over 130 games played. I personally would like to learn more about him.

I'd say Santo.

As for Dick Allen, I believe it was Bill James who referred to him as the biggest locker room cancer to ever play the game with the exception of Hal Chase (if you're not sure how extreme that is, read up on Hal Chase sometime).

I am not going to help this one out - but I think Will Clark deserves more than 4% of the vote.

Blyleven needs to get in too...

Dave

I always felt that Blyleven should go in as well. The negative is he just missed 300 wins, which both Niekro and Sutton did get to. Blyleven is somebody that probably will make it with the Veteran's committee someday.

It will be interesting to see how many votes Tim Raines gets with his first appearance. I consider him to be borderline yes, but we will see.