Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: Montero Traded from Yankees

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Guess we won't have to wait several years to see who got the better end of the deal on this one.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

How does pineda being out for the year already determine it as a bad trade? Yes it's a failure now, but in the long wrong he'll still be better than montero.

What if next year he comes back and wins Cy young or something. Montero just as expected has showed nothing great so far this year to me.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    How does pineda being out for the year already determine it as a bad trade? Yes it's a failure now, but in the long wrong he'll still be better than montero.

What if next year he comes back and wins Cy young or something. Montero just as expected has showed nothing great so far this year to me.
    Well, the type of surgery Pineda is going to have is not an easy recovery. Most pitchers don't come back from it, and those that do are not half of what they once were. Chances are he will be a 5th starter at best, of course he could break the barrier, but I doubt he will be as he once was advertised. This is a serious career altering/ending injury.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    Well, the type of surgery Pineda is going to have is not an easy recovery. Most pitchers don't come back from it, and those that do are not half of what they once were. Chances are he will be a 5th starter at best, of course he could break the barrier, but I doubt he will be as he once was advertised. This is a serious career altering/ending injury.
    They actually talked about that in the Yankees game last night with a graphic that stated the last 8 pitchers who had that surgery and 7 of them recovered without a problem. the only one who didnt match his earlier success from that list was jason schmidt

personally i had no problem with the trade. montero had no room on the team. everyone on the yankees staff said he was not a good defensive catcher when he was in the minor leagues. plus we have austin romine waiting in the helms. in addition, we have a prospect by the name of gary sanchez who supposedly is better than montero and austin romine.

i know jesus montero is a great hitterr and i am definitely not going to dispute it but why have someone like that to be our DH. Eventually Jeter, ARod, Jones, and Ibanez will serve that role now and in the years to come. We needed pitching and unfortunately it didnt go in our favor. Stuff like this happens. Dont forget we also got Jose Campos in the trade who in the coming years may show some promise as he did well in his minor league debut for the Yanks. We still have Banuelos, Betances, and Phelps who can step in and also Pettitte whenever he is ready

As a Yankees fan, I just have to wait and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by GameUsedGR61 View Post
    They actually talked about that in the Yankees game last night with a graphic that stated the last 8 pitchers who had that surgery and 7 of them recovered without a problem. the only one who didnt match his earlier success from that list was jason schmidt
    I didn't see the graphic, but was Jake Peavy on it? I think he had the same surgery, and he has fallen way off the table since his injuries. Bottom line is that this trade to evaluate is going to take a lot of time.

I agree. Only from the perspective that the Yankees needed pitching this year and this unfortunately happened. They wanted payback now but may now have to wait one year while the Mariners may see dividends from Montero this year.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

This says it all... ( and YES this is a career CHANGING injury so enough with the CY YOUNG talk)

When the Yankees and Mariners announced their out-of-the-blue swap of Jesus Montero and Michael Pineda (yes, a few other players were included, too) in January, you could find a lot of strong opinions, but no consensus.

The kind of trade that is rarely made these days (young talent for young talent), there was one person who thought the Mariners got a steal for every observer who insisted the Yankees made out like bandits.

There was great risk and reward on both sides. Yes, Montero could be locked into DHing at the tender age of 22, but he could also be an annual 30-home run threat in a league with increasingly few of them.

And yes, Pineda’s fastball-and-flyball ways may not be as effective in new Yankee Stadium as they were in Safeco Field, but how often can you acquire a pitcher who posted a 3.74 ERA while striking out over a batter per inning in 171 frames as a 22-year-old rookie?

It was a trade with so many layers, what-ifs and intrigue that it couldn’t possibly be declared a win for either side until many years down the road. That is unless, of course, extenuating circumstances came into play.

They did in a huge way on Wednesday, one that has darkened the Yankees’ short-term outlook, severely clouded Pineda’s future and made the Mariners feel all the more fortunate they’re now DHing a player who’s been ranked among Baseball America’s Top 10 Prospects each of the past three seasons.

A spring that began with Pineda displaying a noticeable loss of velocity has ended with his placement on the disabled list with a torn labrum in his pitching shoulder. It’s that kind of injury that can end careers if things break the wrong way, and will leave Pineda as a markedly different pitcher even if he’s able to complete what will be a long and winding rehabilitation.

If he is taking the hill every fifth day at some point in the future, it won’t be with the 94.2 mile per hour fastball he averaged in 2011, and it certainly won’t be with the title of “future ace” he was sometimes given as he made his way through the Mariners’ minor-league system.

So as Montero continues to settle into his new role and home, the Yankees will try to figure out if Phil Hughes or Freddy Garcia should be penciled in as the fifth starter once Andy Pettitte enters the fray in May. That would have been an undesirable reality even if the Bombers had kept their bomb/BB catching prospect. Now it’s a reminder that baseball is as fragile a game as any, and that we only know everything until we know nothing.
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Quote Originally Posted by 5toolplayer View Post
    This says it all... ( and YES this is a career CHANGING injury so enough with the CY YOUNG talk)

A spring that began with Pineda displaying a noticeable loss of velocity has ended with his placement on the disabled list with a torn labrum in his pitching shoulder. It’s that kind of injury that can end careers if things break the wrong way, and will leave Pineda as a markedly different pitcher even if he’s able to complete what will be a long and winding rehabilitation.
    The only way to really judge this is to look back at their careers in 2 years , 5 years, 10 years. Your postings on this are like watching your positions in the stock market daily, let's wait and see how this plays out....

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post

.281 BA, 2HRs, 11RBIs through 17 games and has already caught 5 games with no errors? I wouldn't call it great but I would call it pretty darn good for a 22 year old.
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ion-gone-wrong

"This is a massive decision gone wrong right now," Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com on Friday. "So all scrutiny is fair."

I have no dog is the fight but this was terribly telling of the Yankee's stance as of now.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com