Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Montero Traded from Yankees

What makes you say montero will be this elite 30+ home run player. I'd rather take the chance on a pitcher then a DH that can be replaced easily. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to keep montero. But I can see this as a huge move.

Yup you guys are right. Montero is a bum and the Yanks did the right thing by moving him for a pitcher who had a few good weeks. Every FA year the TOP HITTER gets the 180 million contract (Tex) 250 Pujols, 214 Fielder, Werth, Crawford and so on!! I only see LEGIT aces get the big money. CC, Lee, Doc. Very good to good get AJ type money. So this pitching crap doesn't hold water with me. Cardinals had rock solid pitching? Come on man. IMO it was a bad trade. I follow the Yanks and every single move they make. I just don't collect G/U stuff and read about stuff here and there so I do know what i'm talking about. Montero was the best hitting prospect since Jeter and most NY fans are tired of the same old broke down players not getting it done. It was time for a change. And Pineda was not the answer we were looking for.

And b4 you write a long post telling me about greating pitch, look up Cashmans interview about this being the hardest trade he's ever had to do. Middle of the order monsters don't grow on trees or come cheap in trades.
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 5toolplayer View Post
    Yup you guys are right. Montero is a bum and the Yanks did the right thing by moving him for a pitcher who had a few good weeks. Every FA year the TOP HITTER gets the 180 million contract (Tex) 250 Pujols, 214 Fielder, Werth, Crawford and so on!! I only see LEGIT aces get the big money. CC, Lee, Doc. Very good to good get AJ type money. So this pitching crap doesn't hold water with me. Cardinals had rock solid pitching? Come on man. IMO it was a bad trade. I follow the Yanks and every single move they make. I just don't collect G/U stuff and read about stuff here and there so I do know what i'm talking about. Montero was the best hitting prospect since Jeter and most NY fans are tired of the same old broke down players not getting it done. It was time for a change. And Pineda was not the answer we were looking for.

And b4 you write a long post telling me about greating pitch, look up Cashmans interview about this being the hardest trade he's ever had to do. Middle of the order monsters don't grow on trees or come cheap in trades.
    The value of a contract does not determine if something is a good trade or not. Pitchers get less because 1. They only pitch every five days while hitters play every game and 2. They are riskier investments because they tend to get more serious, long lasting injuries as a group than hitters do and 3. Pitchers are less consistent and their performances often vary wildly from year to year. However, pitching does win titles. Look at the last few World Series winners all had at least one ace type pitcher who came up big in the postseason:

2011: Cards: Carpenter
    2010: Giants: Timmy L., Cain
    2009: Yankees: CC
    2008: Phils: Hamels
    2007: Red Sox: Beckett, Schilling

Without the pitchers listed above, it is likely that most of those teams would not have won. Will Montero come back to bite them? Who knows but in the past the Yankees have come out on top when trading position guys pretty much everytime: Some killed the Jackson for Granderson trade at the time and for a year after but today how does that look? Granderson is a star and Jackson is a singles hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by 5toolplayer View Post

Montero only had acouple good weeks also, don't see how it's different then what Pinada did. What if next year Montero hits .200 with 2 home-runs and sent back down. While Pinada wins more that 12 games. I'm guessing you haven't seen that Pinada had the second highest K's per 9 innings this year, he was in front of Verlander.

No, he's right, pitching means nothing. It is truly overvalued and I now see the light. And this pitching crap was not requested!

Also how do we know that Pinada won't become one of those aces. Say he becomes the next Verlander, Timmy or Doc. That would do more good for the team in the long run, then having a power hitting DH.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Montero alot and would have loved to see him play longer for us. But when we need pitching more than a full-time DH right now. So I think it's a good move.

His game used value has just gone down, as the Yankee mystique adds a TON. So if you just bought his Yankee game used road jersey for 2K (Steiner offered it to me for that), you just saw the value fall. Look at the hit Pujols Cardinals stuff is taking right now. People want what is current. Granted, a Yankees Montero jersey is nice, but if he wins ROY or becomes a big star, it is the pieces from the team he becomes that star with that will be most sought after.

2011: Cards: Carpenter
    2010: Giants: Timmy L., Cain
    2009: Yankees: CC
    2008: Phils: Hamels
    2007: Red Sox: Beckett, Schilling

Yup again you experts on here are correct. Those teams listed above had no GREAT hitters at all. It was all pitching and no hitting. I'm done going back and forth about it. We will see in 5 years what a great trade this was. I along with tons of real yankee fans think this was a bad move. Montero has been followed by true fans for many years in hopes of finally having another young hitter in the lineup that was a homegrown stud. Pineda has done nothing but have few good weeks to start the season then totally tanked to the tune of a 5.12 ERA. I guess young .300 hitters with 30+ Hr power are a dime a dozen. Maybe Miami will trade Stanton to the yankees for Nova. Seems like a good trade considering the numbers Nova put up last year. Sounds pretty stupid huh? Talk to me in 2017 about this same topic. Worst trade in the Cashman era.
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

True Yankee fans? Don't know where to start with that one....So the call is to wait until '17 to pass judgment, but at the same time call it the worst trade of the Cashman area immediately? And then downplaying pitching again, always a great call. It may be influenced by owning a great deal of NY items for Montero, yet still sounds rambling.

Time will tell. this convo is over
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET