Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Any Josh Hamilton fans here?

...or at least willing to admit it?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...pse/ar-BBi1SqL

This guy is a case study as to why any professional team should never take a chance on a known addict. No matter what level of talent the player possesses, he is always one day away from implosion.

Yeah, I know...it's a "disease" and we should all give support and help to ones inflicted with these terrible diseases.

Maybe....it's just a character issue? Maybe a guy who signed a $125 MILLION contract should exercise good judgement and actually earn that trust by acting responsibly, keeping himself clean to warrant that kind of pay, show the kind of character that would justify it? Acting accordingly as a professional would be choosing to build a support system around yourself, with friends and family that support his efforts to stay clean.

Before you say "He did...he turned himself in!" Yep, he sure did. Because he knew he was about to be busted for a failed drug test (cocaine) taken after a recent binge.

What about Josh's team, who took a 5-year bet for his services? What about his teammates who he has let down tremendously? What about their chances of winning now with the burden of his contract and his vacancy in the line-up due to his most recent transgressions?

"But he just had shoulder surgery, he was depressed!?"

$125 MILLION for 5 YEARS. Would that "depress" you? That's guaranteed pay, not some pipe dream. Athletes get hurt. They get well too, a lot faster than we would because of the care they receive.

Then there are those dang intangibles. What about the effect it has on Pujols, who just lost protection in the line-up? Add Hamilton's loss now for a good chunk of the season to Howie Kendrick jumping zip codes, and the Angels are hamstringed defensively even with the amazing Mike Trout. A team can't just change a player of his Hamilton's ability with another pair of socks.

So who is to blame? Hamilton, or the Angels? He's an addict. He has done this before (relapsed and turned himself in). The Angels knew that. They signed him for BIG bucks anyways.

Maybe if he is suspended the Angels at least won't have to pay the portion of the suspension. But basically the Angels have rolled the dice on a known addict, and as easily predicted, they crapped out. Whatever happens from this moment forward, the Angels lose. They gambled big on a loser. What else could they have expected? It doesn't matter how much money you throw at a problem when there is an addiction involved.

Josh has much bigger problems on his hands than a suspension. He has the rest of his life to deal with. And most addicts don't do well with that. As a human being, I wish him well in his attempts to get it right. As a baseball fan, I SMH at the Angels for making this poor decision. I think it will be a long time before you ever see another MLB team roll the dice on another known addict, no matter what his talent level. And if they do, then they get what they paid for.

Anyone have an opinion?

Steve

Re: Any Josh Hamilton fans here?

I'm a Hamilton fan. Not a huge die-hard but a fan.

You have a lot of sense in your writing but I saw you key in on money and money just doesn't buy everyone happiness.

He's an addict and he's admitted that. I haven't seen anywhere that he had failed a test but maybe he did. Some people just can't seem to shake that kind of addiction. Sad. But he's definitely not alone.

I personally wish him the best. He's had a few good years after going off a much farther deep end than this recent trip. Maybe he can pull out a few more good years...who knows?

Since you seem to be an Angels fan, you probably take it much harder than a person who is a fan of players. In the rare occasion that my team signs a player and then that player is hurt or whatever reason that they don't perform, I just write it off to the game off baseball. It's out of my control so I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

It was a love-fest when he was here in Cincy, I really wish it had gone better for his sobriety. If I were an Angels fan I would be really disappointed, and probably pissed too. Baseball is laden with a lot of bad contracts. But don't let bad contracts get confused with bad people. Josh has problems I will never understand. I have never been an addict. Unless you have, it would be tough to understand what he's going through or how/why his relapses have occurred.

Steve -

1st, welcome back.

2nd, I am a fan of Hamilton. Having gotten to meet him on multiple occasions, he has always appeared humble and accessible to the fans, regardless of his stature in the game or how much money he was making.

I was very saddened to hear of his latest lapse. If you haven't read his book, I would suggest it as Josh barred his soul in it and he does lots of work off the field to try and keep others - especially kids - from taking the path he took.

Unlike many players, he owns his addiction and admits it. Did he 'fess up' because he knew he would fail his next drug test? Maybe. But maybe it's also because he is a stand up guy and takes responsibility for his actions unlike may other players who I won't name here.

I have no doubt that he feels terrible for what he ahs done and what it will do to his team - but I believe he feels worse about what it will do to his family.

I wish the best for him and his family and hope he gets the help he needs.

Just my .02

- Smitty

P.S. - I have ZERO doubt that their are 'fans' of Hamilton that have or will turn on him because this latest issue causes their collection to lose value.

Those aren't real fans of the player, those are bandwagon fans looking to make a buck off the flavor of the day/week/month/year.

For me personally, I lost more respect for Derek Jeter a couple of weeks back than I did for Josh with this relapse.

Josh is a known addict (as you stated) who did what many have been expecting would happen eventually.

Jeter - who I have no doubt will go into the Hall 1st Ballot - has been signing HOF balls under the HOF logo already. To me, that is disrespectful to those who are actually IN the HOF. Show the class you've been known for and wait until you're there. My guess is he's getting paid to do them. If so, then he is about the money. Just sayin'.

Hell, last year at Spring Training, Greg Maddux wouldn't do HOF inscriptions because (as he stated), 'although I have been elected, I have not yet been inducted into the Hall of Fame.'

I'm done now.

Not a Hamilton fan, but I feel sorry for him. This is something that he will struggle with his entire life. It is just a sad situation and I hope he can get pointed back in the right direct again. He certainly isn't a loser.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    P.S. - I have ZERO doubt that their are 'fans' of Hamilton that have or will turn on him because this latest issue causes their collection to lose value.

Those aren't real fans of the player, those are bandwagon fans looking to make a buck off the flavor of the day/week/month/year.
    Agree! Happens way to often! Been an Arod fan since day one! Yes, a true fan!!!

Unfortunate for the relapse, but I wish him the best!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

At least for the short term Hamilton's return to the Rangers has been successful. He was out of the line up last night with a sore leg muscle, so we'll see how it goes with injuries and any other issues.