Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Possible 1976 Ken Griffey Sr Playoff Jersey Photomatch?

Possible 1976 Ken Griffey Sr. game-used & signed NLCS road jersey photomatch...

What do you think?

The very unusual spacing of the letters on back is an exact match to the photo with the G & the Y going all the way into the shoulder seams & also the Y dropping a little lower than it should.

Jersey is all-original with NO alterations & shows good use BUT unfortunately it is missing the Wilson size tag(you can see the original outline of the tag underside next to the seam).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Possible 1976 Ken Griffey Sr Playoff Jersey Photomatch?

Others might disagree but it looks solid to me. Unless there is photographic evidence that his jersey from earlier in the season had the same type of spacing on the nameplate I'd say you got a winner!

Nice jersey from the Big Red Machine era!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsinvestments View Post
    Possible 1976 Ken Griffey Sr. game-used & signed NLCS road jersey photomatch...

What do you think?

The very unusual spacing of the letters on back is an exact match to the photo with the G & the Y going all the way into the shoulder seams & also the Y dropping a little lower than it should.

Jersey is all-original with NO alterations & shows good use BUT unfortunately it is missing the Wilson size tag(you can see the original outline of the tag underside next to the seam).

I would stay away from calling that a 'photo match' looks more like a style match. I think the lack of any tagging left in the shirt coupled with the fact that there is no physical alterations on the shirt which you can match with the photo make it hard to jump to any conclusions about a possible photo match. Just from a quick glance the 'Y' in the photo looks longer and has an obvious slant to the right on the upper half of the letter which is missing in your Reds jersey. It is possible that Griffey wore more then one grey wilson jersey during the NLCS that season. I'm sure because of the media coverage for a Championship Series game there is lots of press shots around if you look hard enough.

I am sure other images exist to confirm the match but to me things line up nicely. The spacing between the letters is accurate and the length of the Y looks the same to me.

Also where the letters line up with the 30 seems quite similar. Obviously when the shirt is being worn things can become somewhat distorted but usually not letter spacing which remains a constant.

I think this is a fairly accurate and highly probable photo match.

Always buying 49ers gamers!
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

It appears to be a very good match.

Does all of the thread look original, consistent and matching when you turn it inside out? I cannot imagine that there are multiple Griffey Jerseys with this unique font spacing so that weighs heavily in your favor.

I only mention this because I was duped on a fabricated photo match. The forger found the unique name plate photo and then forged the jersey to be identical. You almost couldn't tell but the thread color was off the slightest bit. I do not think that this is the case with your Jersey.....Nice find!

It is a close match. However, the Y does not match up with the 0. The Y on the jersey is further to the right than the one in the photo when you compare it to one of the points on the 0.