Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

Hi Everyone,

I decided last night to take a chance on an item that I'm hoping was lost in the listings on ebay and not an outright forgery. The item is advertised simply as a 'Vintage 1920s-1940s Hillerich & Bradsby Bat', ebay #130028753504. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130028753504)

I was the high bidder in that auction, but wanted to get some thoughts on it. What do you think of the Ruth sig? Does anyone here even think there is a remote chance it could be real? According to the answered question the bat is 33 inches long.

Thanks
    Tim Byington

Banned

Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

The seller appears to state the bat may have been looked over by an autograph authenticator who did not approve the signature since their letter comes with the item.

The bat has not been authenticated by a well known authentication company or authenticator. But it was examine by a impendent one. The letter in question will be sent with the bat to the winner of this auction.

I would say if the letter approved the autograph, the seller would have sold the item as such with a genuine autograph. Still a neat item for $100.00.

Post Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

Exactly. I figured for around $100 it was at least worth a shot. I think when I get it I'm going to send it either to JSA or PSA and have them look at it. I guess I'll hope for the best.

Thanks

Tim

The signature is well done, but PAAS is one of the better authentication companies. PAAS has three authenticators look at it and they must all agree before they deem the signature authentic. You may want to send the bat to JSA or PSA/DNA (if Mike Gutierrez will look at it) for a second opinion.

Rob L

Tim - On the bright side, there's always Coaches Corner!
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Banned

The signature is not authentic.

The examination was performed by Donald Frangipani, as per the knob.

The autograph will not pass PAAS, PSA/DNA, GAI.

Post Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

Sammy,

How did you know that by looking at the knob?

Thanks

Tim

Banned

On the knob is the following:

SEL - 184 DF

SEL are the initials of the person who sent the bat to Mr. Frangipani

184 is the 184th item Mr. Frangipani has looked at for this person

DF is Donald Frangipani

Sammy,

That is awesome information as I had no idea. Not awesome in the fact that it isn't a legit signature, but awesome in that I think we all now have something new to watch for.

Since this item was sold as a vintage bat only, and not an autographed item...and I was foolish enough to buy it any suggestions for recourse?

My first thought is that I should simply hold onto the item or destroy it to keep the item out of the hobby. I would feel good about destroying it I guess even though I would still be out the $100.

Maybe I'll just see what the rest of the bat is like and remove the sig. Maybe it will make a nice display as is.

Thanks for the help! Sammy, great information!!!

Tim Byington

Donald Frangipani probably wouldn't know a real Ruth signature from a fake one since he was responsible for thousands of fakes getting certified in the first place. I'd have a respectable authenticator check it out before you destroy it.