Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

Donald Frangiapani was part of the Operation Bullpen sting that busted the largest forgery ring. The Marino's (the forgers) sent the majority of their items to DF for authentication because they knew he would pass the items. A second opinion is necessary in this instance.

Rob L

Banned

Personally, I wouldn't send the bat to PSA/DNA, Spence, or any of the others.

PSA and Spence both charge 150.00 plus shipping for a Ruth signature and they will tell you it is fake. GAI will charge you 10.00 to tell you what I am stating for free, plus about 35.00 to ship it back.

The autograph is not legitimate, but if you must have a so called expert tell you the same thing I am stating, do this.

When you get the bat, take a very clear photo of the autograph. Place it on eBay for a .01 starting price, this will cost you .20. Spend 7.49 to have PSA/DNA do a quick opinion. They will tell you what I have, and it will only cost you 7.70.

As per Donald Frangipani being part of the Marino forgery ring, that is entirely false.

He did issue certs for a lot of their items. but every authenticator and authenticating company in business at that time issued certs for their items.

Some only a few, some a lot.

Post Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

Hi Everyone,

At this point, I'm not exactly certain what I'm planning on doing. I agree with Sammy's point about it likely being a forgery and I don't need an expert to tell me that.

While I would love to be able to find some reason to return the bat for a refund I also don't want this item to end up back in the hobby by being re-auctioned.

As I said earlier, I will likely just hold onto the bat or destroy it.

Thank you for all the responses and help.

Tim Byington

I'm no Ruth expert but I've seen enough to say that I wouldnt bet the farm on it being the fake that everyone thinks it is.....I'd say that it looks pretty good to me. Definitely worth the $ to authenticate. I'd try JSA before PSA/DNA though.

I don't see why the seller would offer a refund. He was honest in selling it as simply a vintage bat. I would keep it for its vintage display value.

Post Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

I agree that the seller was honest in the description. As of right now I have sent two requests to the seller for additional photos of the signature and of the H&B label on the bat. They have so far gone unanswered which makes me a bit nervous.

I think the biggest concern I have with this bat is not so much "What if it's fake?" The answer to that is pretty easy. If it's fake I remove the signature and resell it simply as an old bat. I believe the much more difficult question is "What if it's real?". I'm just not sure how much money I would want to stick into it to find out.

Sammy's suggestion of relisting it on ebay and using the PSA quick opinion would be an option so I might do that. However, I'm not sure that would be conclusive evidence either way. Part of me just wants to take the easy way out and use it to warm up the house in the fireplace.

As of right now I'm open to any all opinions on this bat both good and bad. I'm extremely grateful for the knowledge and am very pleased that a forum such as this exists.

Thanks

Tim Byington

Richard Simon would be a better bet for authentication and his price is less than GAI and PSA/DNA. The signature, if fake, is close enough that it wouldn't hurt to have reinspected. The bat was not auctioned correctly if the seller was trying to sell the autograph (which he wasn't). PAAS requires that three members authenticate the signature. If one of the three is sure, they will not pass. DF is not a reliable authenticator.

Every once in a while an item will come up that is not auctioned correctly. My best pickup was a sheet from an autograph book that contained eight signatures of the 1933 Indians, including Walter Johnson. The guy who sold it knew little about baseball and had a "BIN" price of $ 75.00. I saw it, realized it was authentic, and bought it an hour after it was listed. It has since passed authentication. These deals are out there.

Just my $ 0.02.

Rob L

I agree with Rob....You should have this looked at by Richard Simon or another expert. Donald Frangipani is NOT an expert. Just don't destroy the signature or bat until you're 100% satisfied because it does look like a Ruth signature.

The fact that DF writes on the bat itself with what appears to be a Sharpie-type pen on the knob is horrible. Low class all the way.

Rob L

Regardless of what anyone tells you, do not destroy the bat! If the signature isn't legit, simply sand and refinish it. A nice hand turned H&B (assuming the stamping is early) will be worth $100-$200 easy. The only thing against "the bat" is that it's under 34". Post a clear photo of the branding here when you get it.