The current AMI auction contains a lot (8891) which is described as a "1976 Dennis Martinez Game Worn Jersey (Rookie)"

The main thing wrong with this jersey is that it is a number 30 which Dennis did not wear until 1977 (his second year). I have photographic evidence of Dennis wearing number 61 after his Septemeber call up which is easily backed up by an Orioles program I own as well two reference books (Stang & "Now Batting...."). The number 30 was worn by two Orioles players in 1976, the first being Ken Holtzman and after he was traded to the Yankees in June, it was worn by Dave Pagan for the rest of the year (who was one of the players they rec'd in return).

The auction copy reads in part "this size (42) knit was worn by El Presidente in 1976 when he was a 21 year old rookie in Baltimore....the reason "D" was added was because the team also rostered Tippy Martinez
in '76. Dennis Martinez made his first appearance in May (my emphasis) while Tippy was on the roster Opening Day (again, my emphasis)."

Obviously that passage has nothing to do with the jersey's physical qualities but it is just so erroneous due to that fact that Dennis was recalled by the Orioles after the Rochester season was over on 09/09/76 and made his debut on the 14th of that month (pitched in four games). Tippy Martinez was not on the Orioles Opening Day roster that year since he was part of that Yankee trade that was mentioned earlier (06/15/76). These aren't simple "errors" as people like to refer to, but rather in my opinion just sloppy background work.

Interestingly, this same jersey was on eBay about a month or so ago & I contacted the seller with the same concerns and asked if there was a number/name change, etc. & he told me that there wasn't but that he would pull the auction & look into the situation. Obviously, he then consigned it to AMI.

Eric, I did contact AMI with these concerns on Friday evening and to be fair I gave them the weekend & all day Monday to respond and obviously they did not provide with me a courtesy of a reply.

And yes, for you at home keeping score, the jersey does come with a COA from Lou Lampson.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=32346