Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Comments on Albert Pujols hat up for auction?

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Spartan -

No disrespect to you or Jeff, but that last line leaves me scratching my head...

In a hobby where we have just seen 6 dealers charged and where everyone says they need 'iron clad' proof, do you really think it's wise to say,

"it's probably safe to assume that when you see the word "issued," the item probably was used"

I understand these items are from the Cardinals, etc, but the argument has been made that even if it looks Used and MLB tags it as Issued, you can't just claim that it was GU.

Just my opinion....
    No I agree,

But unless you want to trust a bat with just characteristics today, or something that has some source of documentation, signed by him etc. Im going with the second option... as we have seen with anything, almost any company cares little to less on when/ how a bat was used in case of ball players. Do you think every bat that steiner distributed of Jeter was used in the "regular season", doubt it. I doubt they ever kept track of anything before MLB. The question becomes minimize your chances of a bogus item, and for Albert, this was as close as it got next to the PFF... The reason Im currently selling my item is I really cant stand the comments his wife made on the radio, off the record.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    The reason Im currently selling my item is I really cant stand the comments his wife made on the radio, off the record.
    You want to keep it off the record, then keep it to yourself. On the record, I think your comment is pathetic.

The bigger issue is the disorganization of these signings or companies that distribute items. I have had at least 3-4 instances the past year where I have purchased an Item I was contacted about.... sent photos, called, confirmed a purchase... and was sent the wrong item in which, when I sent the other item back... it was no longer available. No joke, 3-4 times this year...

Nothing surprises me anymore.

-Tony

Spartan -

No disrespect to you or Jeff, but that last line leaves me scratching my head...

In a hobby where we have just seen 6 dealers charged and where everyone says they need 'iron clad' proof, do you really think it's wise to say,

"it's probably safe to assume that when you see the word "issued," the item probably was used"

I understand these items are from the Cardinals, etc, but the argument has been made that even if it looks Used and MLB tags it as Issued, you can't just claim that it was GU.

Just my opinion....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    You want to keep it off the record, then keep it to yourself. On the record, I think your comment is pathetic.
    Did you read it?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/73...ouis-cardinals

If you sympathize with this hardship then god bless you. I had my family doctors wife die of a sudden heart attack at the age of 50 yesterday, and then I read this? Please.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tony Servitto

back on topic: does anyone know how to get ahold of the seller, 13alexrodriguez? when I attempt to send him a message I get some BS standard FAQ form. help is appreciated

-Mike
    **ALWAYS looking for game used/issued Nike/Air Jordan sneakers**

Spartan -

Just my opinion....
    You're taking this out of context. Of course, in a broader sense, you shouldn't assume "issued" means "used" just because use is evident. My blog comment pertained only to items being offered by the Cardinals in silent and live auctions at last year's Winter Warm Up, nothing more. I know the "store" at the Warm Up has sold many issued jerseys through the years, but those items selected for the auctions have historically been hand picked for a reason. The point of my comment was to tell Cardinals collectors that they're no longer going to receive letters from the team saying items were game used (as was the practice for years), but that the items will have holograms that match to a database that will likely tell them the item was "issued"... and here's reason the database won't say "used." This practice was very confusing to people when it started. I was simply trying to explain that those items once labeled "used" would no longer be called "used" because of the new practice -- so don't freak out when you enter the hologram number and see your bat or jersey is "issued."

Guys, lets try to keep this on-topic as this is a useful conversation for collectors. If you guys want to dispute the comments made by Albert's wife, feel free to open a thread in the General Sports discussion or take it up online. Again, the purpose of the forum is to help collectors educate eachother, let's leave it at that.

Also Spartanservitto, do you think the hat being a size 7 3/8 is no reason to worry? Just curious because most hats I have seen were size 7 1/2 or 7 1/4.
    I go through no less than 3-4 Yankees New Era fitted a year and I never
    buy them online since each one fits VERY different even if its the same size.
    I either buy a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8. I will buy a bit bigger in the summer since when
    sweat dries the cap tends to shrink a bit.

I was told by the workers at LIDS that because they are hand-stitched so no
    two fit exactly alike.

Hope this information helps.
    Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    Credit Jeff Scott for this info... (www.birdbats.com)

January 11, 2011. The mystery is over. The company behind the 12/4 Pujols signing is KLF Sports Investments out of Florida, which is run by Kevin Freistat. I spoke with Kevin on the phone last night and he helped clear up the confusion shared my many collectors. For example, KLF is not MLB licensed, so Kevin uses Steiner Sports as his conduit to MLB -- that's why Steiner's name is attached to every item in the MLB database instead of KLF's name. Other tidbits from our conversation:

The new Pujols hologram belongs to Albert and his agent, not KLF (or the Pujols Family Foundation, as discussed yesterday). Not sure who will manage the database of hologram numbers or how that person can be contacted if collectors want to confirm authentication using the hologram number.
    KLF's name and contact information is not on any of the LOAs from the signing, which Kevin admitted was an oversight on his part. He also agreed that including the two URLs directing people to the PFF could be misleading.
    According to Kevin, the game-used items were supplied by Albert and are now owned by KLF.
    Kevin wouldn't confirm amounts, but said there were far fewer than 35 game-used bats signed during the session (so not every bat from FJ 293635-71 is a gamer). He also said the two jerseys were not worn, but that one fielding glove (already sold) was used for an entire season.
    KLF is primarily a wholesaler, which is why most of the items signed on 12/4 are being distributed by companies like sportsmemorabilia.com and sportsintegrity.com.
    KLF will be doing another session with Albert, though Kevin says that will be mostly balls and photos; no bats.
    I assume that should answer most collectors' questions about the signing... The auction items from the upcoming Winter Warm Up have been posted on the Cardinals' website. No Pujols-used jerseys or bats in the live auctions this year. The big-ticket auctions seem to have moved away from high-end memorabilia toward experiences, like "broadcaster for a day" and "guest of the GM." Also interesting how no item is described as "game used," even though many surely are. As we've discussed here before, the team doesn't do LOAs anymore, opting for MLB authentication on everything. And, unless a MLB representative sees the item in use, he cannot call it "game used." So, when you look down the list of auction items, it's probably safe to assume that when you see the word "issued," the item probably was used.
    Does Kevin have an email where he can be reached? I need to ask a question about a current eBay item but can't get past the generic FAQ form. Thanks

-Mike
    **ALWAYS looking for game used/issued Nike/Air Jordan sneakers**