Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

And no one will say that the Angels are buying their team or what ever like people do with the Yankees. The Angels just signed Wilson also, thats not buying a team.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    And no one will say that the Angels are buying their team or what ever like people do with the Yankees. The Angels just signed Wilson also, thats not buying a team.
    I'll say it - The Angels are BUYING a team.

And I'll also say - not that I didn't expect his true colors to come out - but AP is a liar just like Clemens, A-Rod and all the others with their '"It's not about the money" BS.

Pujols Contract Remarks

What a bunch of crap... I hope the Rangers trounce the Angels in their division AGAIN!

Wow..just last night the MLB network was saying that the Cardinals were a couple million away from a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    I'll say it - The Angels are BUYING a team.

And I'll also say - not that I didn't expect his true colors to come out - but AP is a liar just like Clemens, A-Rod and all the others with their '"It's not about the money" BS.

Pujols Contract Remarks

What a bunch of crap... I hope the Rangers trounce the Angels in their division AGAIN!

Its gonna take some astronomical good luck on the rest of the AL West and some horrible luck on the Angels for them to not walk away with the division for at least the next 2-3 years

Go Reds! Pujoles is gone, we need to make a big splash that'll put the Reds back on top of the division!

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    Its gonna take some astronomical good luck on the rest of the AL West and some horrible luck on the Angels for them to not walk away with the division for at least the next 2-3 years
    Really? Wow, I guess the Rangers being back to back AL Champs was only because the AL West was weak... they didn't beat the teams from other divisions as well in route to those titles.

Time will tell...

Angels two signings today = a higher per year salary on two players than the entire Royals payroll.

Although they were already 4 times higher before this morning.

Hunter and Wells > Royals payroll.

Abreu + Haren + Weaver + Santana > Royals payroll.

oh well... I should quit baseball. Really no fairness or competitive balance. And that looks like it will never change. If they did institute a salary cap, they would place it at something like 175-190 mil and the Royals would never have higher than 60-70 mil anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I already put in my request for Albert's first jersey. Everyone else get in line!
    I wish you luck on getting Pujols's first Angels' jersey. However, I don't think it will have nearly the monetary value as his Cards jerseys if he had stayed in St. Louis. But regardless, I hope you enjoy the shirt.

As for Albert himself, I agree with Smitty. If I were a Cards fan I would feel really betrayed. Pujols sacrificed team loyalty and went for the highest dollar. I really don't like what he did.

What really makes me mad is how he told the Cardinals' fans at the WS Parade how he wanted to stay in St. Louis. Another line from an insincere athlete going blind from the dollar signs in his eyes.

One of the qualities I admire most in athletes is team loyalty. You play the game for the fans; they are the ones who truly pay your salary. It's really sad that few pro athletes play their entire career for one team anymore.

That's why I admire people like Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. They wanted to win in Houston and could have left and gotten more money elsewhere. But they loved their town and their team and wouldn't do that to the fans.

This is a sad day for baseball. And I will make sure to make my disapproval known when the Angels come to Seattle next year.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I recently read a column (was it Gammons?) that said the Angels' leadership was furious over losing supremacy to the Rangers, and that heads had rolled because of it.

But don't overlook that the Rangers and Rays have shown that high-paid free agents aren't essential. Everyone thought that the Rangers' loss of Cliff Lee was devastating, but they finished #2 in the AL regular season, and rolled to the AL title, despite that. A group of overachievers like Napoli can be worth as much as one free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Totally shocked. I thought for sure it was to get the Cardinals to move and Albert would stay in St. Louis. Amazing fact on Pujols, he never made over $14.6 million in a season over his entire 11 year career with the Cardinals.

Most baseball players are overpaid for what they really do but in comparison to the rest of the league, Albert was one of the most underpaid players over his 11 year history compared to his WAR. I really don't blame him for leaving. At some point it has to be upsetting on why your own team won't pay you. In his last contract he gave the Cardinals a huge hometown discount.

With that said, only time will tell if this works out for the Angels on the field. Off the field and in the box office, this is as big as it gets!

My first call after hearing the news was to my friend who is a principal in Art of the Game which is the stadium store for the Angels who sells the game used.

Just think of the calls they will be getting for Pujols jerseys! I already put in my request for Albert's first jersey. Everyone else get in line!
    I initially wondered how the memorabilia market on Pujols would change with a different team.

I think Albert has a lock on his memorabilia and that is why you never see a Pujols authenticated by MLB for game use. The only way I could see no one having authenticated Pujols bats (other than the signature) is if he had a strong grip on his memorabilia. The 3HR bat on MLB's authentication page didn't even show a hologram on it.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com