Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Team Logo Question

MLB has apparently decided that reporters covering its games needed some guidance in the clothing area.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/...bers-1.3371969

Fair enough. Major League players and coaches are held to a pretty strict off-the-field dress code while on the road; it's disrespectful, and doesn't reflect well on their own professionalism, for reporters to be shuffling around wearing t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops...particularly when those media types are team employees.

What I really don't understand is the prohibition against the wearing of any article of clothing with a team logo on it. Is a (for example) Mets broadcaster or reporter, employed by the Mets, supposed to be keeping his preference for the team that pays his salary a secret?

This brings up a question that has been bugging me for years - since I found out that the players are also not supposed to be wearing the logo of the team that they play for, while off the field. I'm sure that I've seen team Presidents, GMs, etc, wearing golf shirts with their team logos on them; so what's wrong with the players doing it? This is completely inexplicable to me.

Re: Team Logo Question

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    What I really don't understand is the prohibition against the wearing of any article of clothing with a team logo on it. Is a (for example) Mets broadcaster or reporter, employed by the Mets, supposed to be keeping his preference for the team that pays his salary a secret?

This brings up a question that has been bugging me for years - since I found out that the players are also not supposed to be wearing the logo of the team that they play for, while off the field. I'm sure that I've seen team Presidents, GMs, etc, wearing golf shirts with their team logos on them; so what's wrong with the players doing it? This is completely inexplicable to me.
    Could it be because of IP laws? I mean, if a team logo is in a Getty Picture of a social event, the clubs don't get any revenue? No idea how the laws work, but just a guess.

Could it also be if something "unsocial" happens while in public (fight, late night drinking ect), then the club image could be all over the news...

Mark.

To be honest, neither one of those possible explanations strikes me as all that likely.

Hey, Mark...you are watching the Oeltjen bat auction, aren't you? I was thinking about bidding, if no one else did, just to have it as trade bait, in case I ever came across somebody with a DBacks Oeltjen bat...but I see that there's a bid on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    To be honest, neither one of those possible explanations strikes me as all that likely.

Hey, Mark...you are watching the Oeltjen bat auction, aren't you? I was thinking about bidding, if no one else did, just to have it as trade bait, in case I ever came across somebody with a DBacks Oeltjen bat...but I see that there's a bid on it now.
    Sure am but thats not my bid. Am still tossing up on it. Have found a very similar photo match but sellers details don't match up. Says he got it 2011, but it's from 2010 (Brewers). It is hammered, so would make sense that its a year old...and Trent does love his LVS. I'm probably going to go for it (unless you do) and hoard it till I get an MLB Holo one...

Seller reckons a lot of interest from Aus, doubt it as no one will pay the shipping but stupid old me

No, I won't be bidding on this. Have cut way back on my "other team" buying. Except for a very few, most favored players, if it's not a Diamondbacks bat, or at least something Arizona-related, I will usually pass.