Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Santo finally makes the HOF

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    On the bright side though, I now know that Dale Murphy will get in one day by some "commitee".
    I had this exact thought. Now that Santo is on, how far behind can Dale be? Frankly, being the best player in the NL for 5 straight seasons and 2 batting crowns should have got him in. Shame on the HOF committee for using the fact he wasn't a stat compiler as a reason. He played way past his prime because of his value as a leader and a professional which tanked his BA. If he retired in 1986, I have no doubt he's in the Hall by now.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

One thing that nobody seems to bring up is position!?! Santo played 3B, the most under-represented position in the Hall.

Quick: think of a good-hitting and great-fielding 3B, all time. Can you name 8 better than Santo? 5?

What about slugging 1B? How many before you come to Bagwell?

Quality OF, does lots of things very well, but not one better than anyone? You can list for half an hour before Murphy.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Banned

Ted Simmons should be in the Hall Of Fame before Santo or Rice!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    He would have if not for Joe Morgan and his pals on the old living HoFer Veterans Committee that went out of their way to ensure that no one joined "their" club. Santo deserves it, he's now got it; his ability to enjoy it was taken away by Morgan and his elitist cronies already enshrined.

Dave Miedema
    How many times was a ballot cast and he wasn't elected, 18? 20? 22? Can't blame all of those strike outs on Morgan.

This certain appears to be nothing more than a rigged election. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the selection criteria questions (if there was one that is) was "would you vote for Ron Santo?"

I don't see why the Veterans Committee even still exists. These players have been well vetted by the Writers. The original purpose of the Veterans Committee was to enshrine players the Writers never saw play. Not the case any longer.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Nice. Poo poo on a collective birthday cake. Have you seen Santo play? In person or on TV ? If you have, then my sincere apologies.
    Do you think Santo knows that he got in?

Of course. I'm sure he just played a game of catch with John Kinsella.

I think people take the Hall of Fame's qualifications too seriously. Basically, they need to add players to continue to make it interesting... It'd be nice to walk into a gallery with 30 plaques limited to the true legends of the game, frankly, it'd be kind of boring. Who's going to make that pilgrimage with their family more than once either? "Look, there's Babe Ruth's plaque... again."

I like the idea of breaking the HOF into the best players of each era. In that sense, Santo deserves to be enshrined. It's also called the Hall of FAME: growing up near Boston, there was almost nobody in New England sports from the late 70's thru mid-80's as famous as Jim Rice. I'm sure it was the same in Chicago for Ron Santo, I'm sure it was the same in Minnesota for Puckett, Gossage in NYC, etc. That's "fame". These guys were great players and became famous, either in certain regions or throughout the country, as a result. Were they the greatest the game had ever seen—no—but that totals about 35 guys and leaves a pretty short Hall to wander through. You'd only need to visit about once every 20 years or so to see who the new inductee was...

When you're an athlete and become well-known enough that a large number of people who don't even follow sports know your name for decades over a large region, you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Side note: They really need to decide to either drop the steroid era players off the ballot or just allow them in. The ballot is going to get messy in the next decade and alot of great players will be lost to the McGwires or Palmeiros who linger on the writer's ballots in some sort of purgatory. Either ban them outright, vote them off or vote them in. Again, Hall of FAME to me, I think McGwire deserves to be in (ill-gotten fame though it may be).

[Not a Cubs/Santo fan BTW... just thought he deserved it and sad to see it come posthumously for him.]

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    Again, Hall of FAME to me, I think McGwire deserves to be in (ill-gotten fame though it may be).
    I don't think McGwire would be a HOFer, putting the whole PED issue aside. He was a one-dimensional player; he could hit home runs. But could he do anything else?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Is this going to become a debate about life after death?

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I don't think McGwire would be a HOFer, putting the whole PED issue aside. He was a one-dimensional player; he could hit home runs. But could he do anything else?
    No, I agree with his limited skills, he wasn't a top tier player... but I'm stating that his level of "fame" should probably qualify him for a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Same with Jim Rice et al, who were not exactly Babe Ruth but achieved that upper tier of fame. I think Dale Murphy is also long overlooked and for the same reason, he deserves to be in the HOF.

Maybe they need to break it up by that top tier of 35 or so absolute greats and then the rest.