Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: Reyes Signs With The Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Werth's contract might be bad, but compare it to the other $126 million dollar man BARRY ZITO...

And the article read...

Barry Zito and the Giants reached a preliminary agreement on the largest pitcher contract in baseball history, a $126 million, seven-year deal. A source familiar with Zito's contract told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the agreement includes an $18 million option for 2014 with a $7 million buyout that could increase the value to $137 million.

Considering what he's done since signing that contract, I have just one word. YIKES.
    But at least Zito had done something before the big contract.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    You have to wonder why Jose basically took the first big offer he received as he and his agent probably realized there were not a lot of teams willing to commit 5+ years to him and his iffy hammy.
    I had the same thought... it came across as "take the money and run" even after the Brewers went on record saying that they are very interested in Reyes, and they had the money to spend.

What I struggle with as a Mets fan is that:
    1. The Mets did not have a chance to make an offer (no matter how small it might have been)
    2. Jose/his agent did not go back to the Mets to see if they were going to make an offer at all. He did say he would like to stay... well, so did Pujols, and he ultimately will be going back to the Cardinals to see what they will offer to keep him.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

I agree with your point, Nick. It makes you think that Jose had no intention of staying in NY and planned on taking the highest offer as long as it was a team on the east coast. There are very few players who will take a "hometown discount" no matter what they say before free agency kicks in, which is why teams have to sign their big name players to extensions before they see $100 million contracts in front of them. The Mets were scared to sign him last off season because of injuries but they could have had him at a huge discount. Instead, they lose him and get two poor draft choices in return. A july trade would have been a much better option, even if the return wasn't tremendous. At least they would have been moving him on their terms instead of suffering the embarrassment of losing a superstar to the Marlins.

Banned

They can have him he didn't do much to enhance the Mets. He is selfish and always hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    They can have him he didn't do much to enhance the Mets. He is selfish and always hurt.
    It'll be interesting to see how healthy Jose can stay during the 6 years. The deal would look like a good one if he does and will be bust the first time he's back on the DL. I think it's no loss because the Mets don't have the current lineup to be a contender and Jose alone will not carry the team into playoff contention.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.