Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reyes Signs With The Marlins

Another awful day to be a Mets fan. If ownership of a New York franchise can't afford $100 million for a star player, it might be time to sell the team!!!!! Losing players that can be built around for championships is never a good thing, especially when they could have delt him last season for a few good prospects if they weren't going to sign him anyway.

PS. If anyone wants to sell their game worn Reyes jersey because they're pissed, I'll buy it for half price.

Rob

Re: Reyes Signs With The Marlins

From a fan point-of-view, even if the Mets had all the money to spend on Reyes, I don't think I would want him for six years. This has the making of being a very bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    This has the making of being a very bad deal.
    I'm not a Mets fan, but as a Yankees fan I have seen many of these. And what the hell, don't the marlins have Hanley?? Both can't play short??

Its being reported that Hanley is moving to 3B and that he isn't too happy about it
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    Its being reported that Hanley is moving to 3B and that he isn't too happy about it
    Or will get traded more likely. I don't see hanley making a move to third, especially when a ton of other teams would love to have him at short.

Is this not the worst contract in history? $106 million dollars and SIX years for a guy who lost more than just a step and has Polly-O string cheese for hamstrings!?!

I have no love for the Mets buy I feel terrible for their fans. The guy finally played to his potential for the first time since he signed his last bloated contract. It's hard to respect a guy who only seems to show up in his contract season. IMO, Jose was overrated and worshipped by Mets fans for YEARS and he repaid that love and respect by jogging to first on routine outs and brandishing his flippant attitude as if he believed his own press. Jose Reyes was a lazy half-ass player who relied on his ability to steal bases and make routine plays look spectacular.

You can't blame him for signing the contract however. If Reyes is a $17 million a year player doesn't that mean Albert Pujols should get $51 million a year (seeing as he is 3 times the player)? In a time when unemployment is high, hard working fans are living paycheck to paycheck and taking your kids to a game requires you to refinance your home, it is offensive to see someone who seems to play without heart at times, get paid as if he won something and was the best player in the game.

And hell yes I'm jealous. I'd love to show up to work three times a week, play a child's game and be paid more money every year than 99% of the world will see in their lifetime. Just another reason why sports are losing their appeal to me.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Manram View Post
    Or will get traded more likely. I don't see hanley making a move to third, especially when a ton of other teams would love to have him at short.
    Personally, I think it would benefit the Marlins to trade Hanley now. His stock is still high after that dismal 2011 season, and it would deepen their minor league depth even further if they flip him. Plus trading him is one less ego they have to deal with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Is this not the worst contract in history? $106 million dollars and SIX years for a guy who lost more than just a step and has Polly-O string cheese for hamstrings!?!
    I believe the Nationals giving Jayson Werth 7 years and $126 million is hard to top for worst contract in history.

I don't think Reyes is worth that much given his history of injury.
    BUT, I do think he is one of the best lead off hitters in the game today. If he could play 99% of the games for the life of the contract he will give the Marlins a great lead off hitter for a long time. And he will earn at least some of that contract.

I have to say not resigning Jose may turn out to be a smart move. The Mets only made it to the post season once during Jose's 9 year tenure. Additionally a 6 year commitment to a player who spent a lot time on the disabled list over the last 3 years is alot in my opinion. Yes he won a batting title in 2011 but this year was his walk year and he was highly motivated as most players try to ramp it up the year they become a free agent. So motivated that he took himself out of game after his bunt single during his first AB in the last game of the season. That certainly eased the pain of not have to seeing his face back at Citi Field for me in 2012.

The Marlins are trying to ensure they sell tickets to their new stadium and signing Reyes for 6 years certainly would help that cause. Smart move.

You have to wonder why Jose basically took the first big offer he received as he and his agent probably realized there were not a lot of teams willing to commit 5+ years to him and his iffy hammy.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I believe the Nationals giving Jayson Werth 7 years and $126 million is hard to top for worst contract in history.

I don't think Reyes is worth that much given his history of injury.
    BUT, I do think he is one of the best lead off hitters in the game today. If he could play 99% of the games for the life of the contract he will give the Marlins a great lead off hitter for a long time. And he will earn at least some of that contract.
    Werth's contract might be bad, but compare it to the other $126 million dollar man BARRY ZITO...

And the article read...

Barry Zito and the Giants reached a preliminary agreement on the largest pitcher contract in baseball history, a $126 million, seven-year deal. A source familiar with Zito's contract told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the agreement includes an $18 million option for 2014 with a $7 million buyout that could increase the value to $137 million.

Considering what he's done since signing that contract, I have just one word. YIKES.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com