Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Upper Deck Game Used Bats on eBay

Game used bat/uniform cards is the single dumbest thing ever done in the sports memorabilia hobby. It still blows my mind that people thought this was a good idea. Now seeing all of these auctions pop up on ebay this week with great bats chopped to pieces just pisses you off more, Upper Deck should be ashamed of themselves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upper-Deck-U...item4cfc5e6423

Re: Upper Deck Game Used Bats on eBay

That definitely sucks. That Pujols bat doesn't look to be used at all though.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

The dude who got these posted these on a couple of websites...I guess UD was/is moving and needed to sell a lot of stuff, so he bought 500+ lots like these.

I don't know if it was public or he had a in with the company, but either way some really nice stuff here.

Banned

The stuff is worthless.

As they're so plentiful, modern bats and jerseys doesn't bother me so much. The Ruths and Cobb items is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    The stuff is worthless.
    I doubt the lots are worthless. Matter of fact, they are an interesting commentary on a fad that will probably be laughed at by our grandchildren:

"You collected what, gramps?"

"Pieces of a game used bat! I've got so many of these worthless 'pieces of history' that I took them out of cases for my dog to enjoy."

"At least the dog got some use out of them."
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I doubt the lots are worthless. Matter of fact, they are an interesting commentary on a fad that will probably be laughed at by our grandchildren
    Interesting, yes; not interesting enough to be worth 150 bucks.

You know, years ago, when I first heard about those "relic" cards, my first thought was of the way for many centuries - and, I suppose, to some extent, even today - some pious Catholics have treasured tiny bits of what were supposed to be pieces of "the true cross", or of some saint's thighbone, or whatever. And, of course, now we see cards with tiny swatches of movie stars' clothing glued to them - making the "new religion" of celebrity an even closer parallel.

"If you nail together two things that have never been nailed together before, some schmuck will buy it." - George Carlin

I'm surprised they didn't sell them to Topps or to one of the companies that produces game used photomints like Highland.

You have to wonder who much impact the FBI investigation into fakes affected the market on this type of stuff.

What other uses are there for small pieces of bats "supposedly" used by star players?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Well seeing that a number of these have been taken down be cause they are no longer available (including the pujols in the first post), i have to say that someone out there thinks they are worth some money. I mean this is a part of our hobby, like it or not.