Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

All? Most? Every one except x and y? I pretty sure the Bears, Lions, Pack, Giants, Eagles and Redskins all did, but I'm looking for a definitive list if anyone knows. Swear I read somewhere that even stuff tagged Wilson was actually being made by Sand-Knit for a time, much as Ripon has continued doing in modern times. Help is appreciated!

Re: Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

I have no knowledge of the Bears ever wearing Sand-Knit.

I have Eagles, Rams, Lions, Raiders, Packers, Vikings, Cardinals, and Browns jerseys that are Sand Knits...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeytigers View Post
    I have Eagles, Rams, Lions, Raiders, Packers, Vikings, Cardinals, and Browns jerseys that are Sand Knits...
    How about the Steelers and Jets?

Falcons and Steelers for certain since I have a few. Colts definitely as well, they wore "Sand Aire" for Super Bowl V (prototype material for warm-weather games if I'm not mistaken).

With regards to durene jerseys, here are a few that are in my collection or that I've seen first-hand in other collections that are not Sand Knit. Note that MacGregor was not associated with Sand Knit until the 1980s:

1950s Philadelphia Eagles - MacGregor
    Mid-1950s Washington Redskins - Powers
    Late-1950s Detroit Lions - Rawlings
    Late-1950s/early '60s Baltimore Colts - MacGregor
    1960s Chicago Bears - King O'Shea
    1960s Dallas Cowboys - Southland
    1967 Atlanta Falcons black jersey (1-year style with white Falcon sleeve logos) - Rawlings
    Late-1960s St. Louis Cardinals - Russell Southern
    Early-1970s Chicago Bears - Wilson
    Early-1970s San Francisco 49ers - Wilson
    Early-1970s Detroit Lions - Wilson (Lions switched to Wilson only on their white durene jerseys circa 1971 as they continued to wear Sand Knit in their blue durenes)

Most teams started wearing mesh jerseys by the early 1970s although many teams would occasionally wear durenes in cold-weather games. Sand Knit remained the dominant supplier in the 1970s, but Russell became more active and became the supplier of teams such as Atlanta, Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Miami. Wilson was the supplier of a few teams such as San Francisco and Chicago during the decade.

Also of note is that in addition to the manufacturer's tag, some of the older jerseys carry the tag of the local sporting goods store that supplied the team.

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Great information, Mark. Powers is one of my favorite manufacturers. I would really like to see an example of one of the 50s Redskins' shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I have no knowledge of the Bears ever wearing Sand-Knit.
    I have heard there is an unknown period where the jerseys were made by Sand-knit and then tagged Wilson, much like Ripon does in the recent era. Factors like that make it very hard to pinpoint.

That's a helpful summation, Mark. So the Eagles never wore Sand-knit? I'm trying to determine the fate of this ca.1954(?) piece:

Correction: should have read "The Eagles didn't wear Sand-knit in the 1950's?" I missed Hockeytiger's mention somehow

Research Notre Dame before Phil Eagles for that green number 17.