Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Banned

Re: Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

Quote Originally Posted by hockeytigers View Post
    I have Eagles, Rams, Lions, Raiders, Packers, Vikings, Cardinals, and Browns jerseys that are Sand Knits...
    How about the Steelers and Jets?

Falcons and Steelers for certain since I have a few. Colts definitely as well, they wore "Sand Aire" for Super Bowl V (prototype material for warm-weather games if I'm not mistaken).

With regards to durene jerseys, here are a few that are in my collection or that I've seen first-hand in other collections that are not Sand Knit. Note that MacGregor was not associated with Sand Knit until the 1980s:

1950s Philadelphia Eagles - MacGregor
    Mid-1950s Washington Redskins - Powers
    Late-1950s Detroit Lions - Rawlings
    Late-1950s/early '60s Baltimore Colts - MacGregor
    1960s Chicago Bears - King O'Shea
    1960s Dallas Cowboys - Southland
    1967 Atlanta Falcons black jersey (1-year style with white Falcon sleeve logos) - Rawlings
    Late-1960s St. Louis Cardinals - Russell Southern
    Early-1970s Chicago Bears - Wilson
    Early-1970s San Francisco 49ers - Wilson
    Early-1970s Detroit Lions - Wilson (Lions switched to Wilson only on their white durene jerseys circa 1971 as they continued to wear Sand Knit in their blue durenes)

Most teams started wearing mesh jerseys by the early 1970s although many teams would occasionally wear durenes in cold-weather games. Sand Knit remained the dominant supplier in the 1970s, but Russell became more active and became the supplier of teams such as Atlanta, Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Miami. Wilson was the supplier of a few teams such as San Francisco and Chicago during the decade.

Also of note is that in addition to the manufacturer's tag, some of the older jerseys carry the tag of the local sporting goods store that supplied the team.

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Great information, Mark. Powers is one of my favorite manufacturers. I would really like to see an example of one of the 50s Redskins' shirts.

Not that I would completely rule out this being a college and or pro shirt, BUT a rule of thumb among distinguising unknown game worn shirts of any era from my experience is the size. Your shirt is sized a 38, which would make me lean towards it being a high school shirt. I can talk just from my personal experience in researching vintage unknown game worn shirts.

G1X - I believe that the Eagles also wore Mitchell and Ness in the either the late 50's or early 60's. Would love to see photos of the Powers Redskins as well, sounds very interesting.

I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey
    Thanks for the photos, Dewey. This is why this stuff is confusing. The Raiders jersey surely could have been used in 1970. However, the Sand-Knit tag was originally manufactured in the late 50s to the very early 60s. Recycled or "carry-over" styles should always be considered, especially football.

invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

G1X,

I wasn't aware the Eagles had a double tagged Macgregor/Mitchell and Ness shirt, very cool. I actively collect jackets and athletic garments (none jerseys) from mitchell and ness (vintage, the none throwback retro one's).

I'm sure BTPH and myself would both love to see the Redskins if you ever get permission to shoot and post it.

Good thread.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Mark - I've seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor with and without Mitchell and Ness tags. I've also seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor bearing Pearson's tags. On or around 1965, I noticed a variation of sleeve fonts on Eagles jerseys and about that time, I saw a Pearson ad in a Eagles 1965 program with Rawlings being a supplier to the Eagles.

Contrary to popular belief, Rawlings did supply game jerseys to the Eagles. Of interest is, the tags are on the back flap of the jersey and with the Rawlings tag, that may or may NOT be a Pearson's tag.

I'd like to add that the earliest Sand-knit tag I've seen on a Eagles jersey is 1970.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images