Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Research Notre Dame before Phil Eagles for that green number 17.
    That would be awesome as well, turns up Jim Morse, ND halfback from 1954, 55, 56 seasons. Irish wore Wilson in 1950's though no? I'd think my manufacturer alt. tagging statement not relevant back in that era...

Yes. Wilson in the 50s. I doubt that is ND, but I would still research late 50s early 60s.

Regarding my previous post, the dates I listed are for the specific jerseys in my collection and jerseys I have seen in other collections. For example, the Eagles jersey in my collection is from the 1950s, but I am unable to pinpoint the exact year. My intention was not to imply that the Eagles wore only MacGregor in the 1950s as they could have been supplied by other manufacturers during the decade.

Hope this helps to clarify the dates I listed.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Thanks Mark and BTPH for the help on the specific piece I'm trying to ID. I know in all likelihood it's an amateur piece, but it'd be nice to find out for sure what it is.

Please keep the Sand-knit data coming for any other teams that roll in!

Not that I would completely rule out this being a college and or pro shirt, BUT a rule of thumb among distinguising unknown game worn shirts of any era from my experience is the size. Your shirt is sized a 38, which would make me lean towards it being a high school shirt. I can talk just from my personal experience in researching vintage unknown game worn shirts.

G1X - I believe that the Eagles also wore Mitchell and Ness in the either the late 50's or early 60's. Would love to see photos of the Powers Redskins as well, sounds very interesting.

I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey
    Thanks for the photos, Dewey. This is why this stuff is confusing. The Raiders jersey surely could have been used in 1970. However, the Sand-Knit tag was originally manufactured in the late 50s to the very early 60s. Recycled or "carry-over" styles should always be considered, especially football.

invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

G1X,

I wasn't aware the Eagles had a double tagged Macgregor/Mitchell and Ness shirt, very cool. I actively collect jackets and athletic garments (none jerseys) from mitchell and ness (vintage, the none throwback retro one's).

I'm sure BTPH and myself would both love to see the Redskins if you ever get permission to shoot and post it.

Good thread.

Sorry it took so long to take photos and make this post. The Holidays kept me on the run!

The first photo is the Powers tail tag on the mid-1950s 'Skins jersey that several of you requested to see. The remaining photos are of jerseys with tail tagging that includes the local sporting goods suppliers (including the Eagles jersey with both the MacGregor tag and Mitchell & Ness tag).

A few more photos coming in a second post.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

MID-1950s WASHINGTON REDSKINS
    Name:  IMG00410-20111102-1344.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  46.2 KB

1950s PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
    Name:  image0001.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  266.6 KB

MID-1950s DETROIT LIONS
    Name:  image0006.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  305.7 KB