With the regular season winding down, I noted that the Orioles were once again having their "Shirts Off Our Back" promotion where during the last home series, every player gives their Game Worn uniform to a random fan.

It reminded me of a recent acquistion that I'd like to share, where I was fortunate enough to purchase a Game Worn Cal Ripken Jr. jersey from the fan (then only 11 years old) who rec'd it during this same promotion back in 2000.

The kid (who is now obviously 22) told me that as he entered Camden Yards that evening, he was approached by an Orioles employee and asked if he would like to go down on the field & win something. When he got to the field, all the kids were instructed to face the dugout and were told that one of the Orioles players would stand behind them & that would be the player whose jersey you would get (he was lucky that Cal chose him):

After the players "tried the jersey on the kids," they took the jerseys back to play in and were instructed that they would be mailed back to them in within a week. Needless to say within a few days, this kid rec'd a registered package from the Orioles (which I was given this padded envelope as well) that contained the jersey (signed), the "Thanks Fans" t-shirt the player wore underneath as well as an Orioles COA.

After obtained the jersey from the winner, I was able to show the jersey to Cal at the Ripken World Series last month (which I volunteer at annually), during one of the many rain delays, showed him all the provenance & asked him to please add the "2000 Game Used" inscription on it (keep in mind it was originally signed back in 2000).....He added it and subsequently told me that it was the very FIRST time he has added that inscription to any jersey, because he is aware of all the garbage in the hobby (which we discussed at length) & is extremely cautious of adding that inscription. He also showed me a couple small things on the jersey as well that I will look for in any future jersey I am offered..

The T-Shirt Cal wore underneath with his "snowman" 8 on the tag (note the round sticker on the t-shirt was the one the child wore on his own shirt that evening, noting him as a prize winner):

The jersey (size 50):

Thanks for letting me share one of the jewels of my collection...

Bill

whhp72@yahoo.com