Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anybody bidding in Vintage Authentics Auction

I have items consigned with Vintages. Some of which are still up, some of which are no longer available. One of the items, a Pujols bat, had a PSA/DNA GU 9 letter, came from a clubhouse source, and has been taken down. Does anyone have any insight as to how to get these items back?

I also have items consigned to the latest VA auction. Some of the items have been "withdrawn" while others remain open for bidding. I understand that those items that have been identified as "withdrawn" on VA's website were seized when federal agents executed a search warrant of VA's facilities. There does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to what was seized vs. not seized. I understand that VA will continue to auction off those items that remain in its possession and will process payments in a manner consistent with past practice. I don't know (and I don't think anyone but the attorneys prosecuting the case know) when the seized items will be released to VA or consignors.

Quote Originally Posted by harleighb View Post
    I also have items consigned to the latest VA auction. Some of the items have been "withdrawn" while others remain open for bidding. I understand that those items that have been identified as "withdrawn" on VA's website were seized when federal agents executed a search warrant of VA's facilities. There does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to what was seized vs. not seized. I understand that VA will continue to auction off those items that remain in its possession and will process payments in a manner consistent with past practice. I don't know (and I don't think anyone but the attorneys prosecuting the case know) when the seized items will be released to VA or consignors.
    All the Twins jerseys Brian, on this forum, had issues with are pulled. Wonder if the FBI is tapping into this site for help in getting tips from knowledgeable collectors about questionable items.

Just a few days ago I was asking about one of their jerseys (Rigby/Rigney) and now it sounds like the FBI is. Wow.

One of the jerseys I had seized was a Francisco Liriano jersey with a MLB hologram that was photomatched to three separate games. The jersey was signed by Liriano and inscribed "2009 Game Used". I've got pics of Liriano and I at the signing holding up the jersey together. Tough to imagine someone with much background in this stuff identifying it as problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    All the Twins jerseys Brian, on this forum, had issues with are pulled. Wonder if the FBI is tapping into this site for help in getting tips from knowledgeable collectors about questionable items.

Just a few days ago I was asking about one of their jerseys (Rigby/Rigney) and now it sounds like the FBI is. Wow.
    Hi Mark,

Three of the items still remain; the Killebrew hat, the Mauer jersey, and the Puckett jersey. And in my opinion those are the biggest question marks. Why pull the Bruno jersey? My criticism was more tongue in cheek, as they said a 1986 jersey was used in 1985, which would be impossible. But the jersey itself was correct as a 1986. And why pull the Liriano? Isn't the MLB hologram near the gold standard for authentication (other than the certain teams labelling all jerseys as game issued. But that is a different discussion). And the so called team letter on the Puckett and letter on the Mauer is good enough but the hologram on the Liriano is not?

I will say it again:

• On the Mauer jersey, show me a single legit Twins LOA without the store manager's signature. And the use on the tag is completely inconsistent. It would be impossible in a game situation to smear the numbers and yet not wrinkle the tag fabric.
    • On the Killebrew jersey, show me a photomatch.
    • On the Puckett jersey, show me where the Twins letter mentions any use of that particular jersey. It says the Twins ordered size 44 jerseys. It does not say he wore them. Nor does it say he wore that specific jersey. The letter proves nothing and it is misleading to insinuate that it does.
    I don't understand the reasoning why the Feds are looking at some items and not the others but that isn't important. Just glad they are looking into the issue.

And while I am rambling, in my opinion this is one of the biggest stories to come along related to game used collectibles but the issue really hasn't garnered much attention on this forum. Nor has the story received much negative criticism here. Other forums related to baseball collectibles have had harsh words for anyone intentionally selling fakes. Not here though.

Is it because many others here would sell off an item they buy that later turns out to be fake. Maybe put a caveat in the listing such as "I bought this as such but can't prove it". Or perhaps no one wants to anger the auction companies because they rely on them to build and dispose of their collections.

More so that any other area of sports memorabilia collecting game used relies on ethics and morals. We are seeing that someone who we thought could be trusted has allegedly engaged in activities that are anything but such and yet this community remains silent. Go figure. Makes you just want to give it up and move on to something else. Because others in the hobby either don't care about its integrity as much as you do so why bother.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Mark,

By the way, those comments were not directed towards you. Intended to reply to your post that not all of the items I pointed out were pulled and then I just started rambling. Completely forgot I had even addressed you in the beginning.

I think the fact that there's a seven page forum on the arrest at the National indicates that a great many people on this board care about the integrity of the hobby.

I probably wouldn't buy anything of significance anymore unless it had a hologram or unless it came from a trusted member of this board.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
    I think the fact that there's a seven page forum on the arrest at the National indicates that a great many people on this board care about the integrity of the hobby.
    Yes... and so does the show me your Pirates items thread.

Paragon Auctions has a lot of items pulled as well and they just went live.

All I gotta say (for now) is that they better pay the consignors!