Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Yankees Lineup Card Question

I own 2 Yankees Lineup Cards, one from 08, the other from 09 (Both Games I attended) and as you can see on both, the handwriting differ. Was curious if anyone knows who, at least in the Yankees dugout, is the one who writes the changes. Is it the Bench Coach, Pitching Coach or one of the kids?

Re: Yankees Lineup Card Question

It's traditionally the bench coach. I've read this stated in books, plus I've seen the Braves' bench coach do this on TV. However, it could be anybody the manager wants; there's no rule.

In should add that the Yankees seem to use a lineup card that's different from the ones issued by MLB and used by most clubs. The standard MLB cards have both teams listed for the given date at the top.

Thanks Coxfan! Will keep an eye out on Tony Pena in the next few broadcasts and see if he's doing the writing!

I noticed during the postseason that Jim Leyland was marking the dugout lineup card himself. This differs from the probably more common practice of having the Bench Coach responsible.

These dugout cards are not required by the rules, as opposed to the official batting-order cards given to the umpire, which are required and must be authorized by the Manager (or acting Manager, if the Manager's ejected.) So any team can use the dugout lineup cards as it wishes.

Jim Leyland is one of the few, if not the only manager who does not have a bench coach. Many times I've seen him fill out the tigers lineup side & have Belliard fill out the visitors side.
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

so perhaps it is Rob Thomson on your 2008 card and Tony Pena on your 2009 card.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.