Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1970 NFL Football

Looking for a 1970 NFL game ball; this was a style of ball only used that year, and is the last football I need to round everything out. Date code on either side of the air valve will be CC, and it looks like this ball that cohibasmoker posted a while ago (the inked "Eagles" is, of course, not necessary):

There have been a couple sold on eBay recently; I was a losing bidder in both (I work in manufacturing, so accessing a computer/smartphone during the day to update your bid is a no-go, sadly). If you have one, my offer will be competitive.

Thanks, and let me know at dcipher[dot]art[at]gmail[dot]com!

Re: 1970 NFL Football

A quick bump. I know these are hard to come by, but I'm hoping for the best.

Yeah, those CC 1970 footballs are tough to get! I, too, saw the last listing on Ebay for one.....I also saw a CC Wilson NFL ball with the smaller NFL cursive script, not the block style letters for that 1970 ball......did they use both letter style for 1970? I thought I saw a photo from the 1970 playoffs using the block style and then in Super Bowl V that year, they had the smaller cursive script.

Yeah, you're right; definitely used the 71-75 ball for the playoffs in 1970. Never noticed that, and after going back through Getty a ways, can't really pin down the exact point they switched. Guess the league figured the typesetting on the ball was so ugly that they wanted them gone fast...

Yeah, that block style lettering was almost like someone got a permanent marker and wrote NFL on the ball...

Should the seller of the 1970 ball on eBay right now happen to read the forum, I apologize if my offer was misconstrued; I am in fact a serious collector and do know what I'm looking at when I see a football. I wasn't attempting to lowball, I was making a very fair offer considering past sales of the same balls. Should you ever wish to negotiate further, my e-mail's at the top of this thread. I'm in no hurry.

i have a 1970 game presented ball from claude humphrie excellent condition have other game balls to from steve ramseys collection broncos quarter back in the 1970,s let me know thanks mark

what ever you want to know about game footballs and there codes let me know ill tell you thanks again mark

Thanks for the reply; e-mail sent.

I picked up this 1970 NFL game ball recently. I had a really hard time tracking one of these down. This ball basically rounded out my NFL football collection out.....glad I found one in this shape!
    Attached Images Attached Images