Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tire kickers

tire kickers

perhaps i may have done this at some point but i don't remember.

i don't know about some or most of you, but if i don't have the money for an item or is more than what i want to spend, i am not going to waste someone's time nor mine sending emails and asking stupid questions that are easily answered with photos and or descriptions.

it is happening quite often, more than usual i see, and it is frustrating. i just caught myself answering someone's question about an item i am selling, that they "really" had interest in, 25 times! in the end, the person didn't answer back and in this case, again, didn't want it. i don't expect a lightning answer, but if you ask and ask and ask 25 times about items, your intentions aren't to buy, they are to waste someone's time!

some people i see there intentions from the first email that they aren't going to buy anything so i cut them off. i see it from people here as well as other places.

to say the item is great and original and has good use and then want it for pennies on the dollar is insulting and i don't have nor will give time to people like that. pretty ignorant if you ask me.

Re: tire kickers

Quote Originally Posted by momen55 View Post
    perhaps i may have done this at some point but i don't remember.

i don't know about some or most of you, but if i don't have the money for an item or is more than what i want to spend, i am not going to waste someone's time nor mine sending emails and asking stupid questions that are easily answered with photos and or descriptions.

it is happening quite often, more than usual i see, and it is frustrating. i just caught myself answering someone's question about an item i am selling, that they "really" had interest in, 25 times! in the end, the person didn't answer back and in this case, again, didn't want it. i don't expect a lightning answer, but if you ask and ask and ask 25 times about items, your intentions aren't to buy, they are to waste someone's time!

some people i see there intentions from the first email that they aren't going to buy anything so i cut them off. i see it from people here as well as other places.

to say the item is great and original and has good use and then want it for pennies on the dollar is insulting and i don't have nor will give time to people like that. pretty ignorant if you ask me.
    just last night, i had a person ask about an item and we went back and forth for a while and in the end, they didn't like the price and didn't want it. what's up with that?

Banned

Unfortunately these types of people dominant this "hobby." I call them the weekend dealers the guys that act like they are doing you a favor buying an item for pennies on the dollar so they can try to resell it immediately for several times what they paid for it. They naively think everyone is a cash starved dupe. A few weeks ago I had someone send me an email inquiring about a Revis jersey I was selling with a JO COA and offering me $800 for it and to add insult to injury he wanted shipping included for that price. Such jersey cost me $2,750 in January of this year. Then when I told him his offer was an insult he responded and how much i paid for it he responded by saying that since I had another jersey priced at that price he thought i would accept such an offer for revis though my bin was 3x his offer. mind you the other jersey was of a much lesser player whose stuff is not worth very much.

Unfortunately these types of people dominant this "hobby." I call them the weekend dealers the guys that act like they are doing you a favor buying an item for pennies on the dollar so they can try to resell it immediately for several times what they paid for it.
    Just look how many times a 'pickup' post is followed by, "if you ever want to sell it...". My neighbor just bought a new car. It would seem kind of goofy if I asked him if he was interested in selling it. But it's the norm here, because you have at least as many flippers as collectors. Obviously, in order to make any money on a flip, you need to get a swell deal when you buy.

Great points here. What scares me more is tire kickers who want to know irrevelent stuff about a jersey, for example. I can have a jersey MLB certified and they will want to know,
    1. Measurements from armpit to armpit and collar to tail and chest size. If it means they are going to wear it---forget it. I am a purest and hate to think of someone spilling beer and hot-dog on a game used jersey.

I also understand about concern over fakes but that's out of hand, too. One guy accused me of selling him a fake but then refused a refund offer because he wanted to keep "the evidence."

All things considered, I love this forum and write something almost every day. On the other hand...people will drive you crazy if you let them.

I now never sell unless I do not care about the outcome. I will lose money and scalp hair.

Dave Silverbrand

Banned

Angry Re: tire kickers

My own "favorite": placing an item for sale on C2C, making mention (as I normally do) to have no means of sending pictures (I do not have a camera), and getting replies asking me "can you send pictures?" If I could post them, I would.

If not seeing pictures in advance is a deal-breaker, then that's OK. I wouldn't
    make specific mention of not being able to send pics in the description if I could send some...HELLO?

One guy a few years ago asked me for pics three times, apparently expecting that my answer would be different the third time than it was the first or second time.

Again, if a buyer wants pictures before buying, and I am unable to provide nthem, no harm done...if that's their motus operandi, they're entitled to buy in the most comfortable way they choose. But, please...DON't ask for pictures when the last couple of lines in my post say that I am unable to send them!

Dave Miedema

My opinion...If it wasn't for the so called..."tire kickers"... most of the items up for sale would go unsold.

I have seen most of the time a high price asked for an item and then after awhile...if the seller "really" wants the item gone...lowers the price to a place both buyer and seller are happy...

just my .02...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    My own "favorite": placing an item for sale on C2C, making mention (as I normally do) to have no means of sending pictures (I do not have a camera), and getting replies asking me "can you send pictures?" If I could post them, I would.

make specific mention of not being able to send pics in the description if I could send some...HELLO?

One guy a few years ago asked me for pics three times, apparently expecting that my answer would be different the third time than it was the first or second time.

Again, if a buyer wants pictures before buying, and I am unable to provide nthem, no harm done...if that's their motus operandi, they're entitled to buy in the most comfortable way they choose. But, please...DON't ask for pictures when the last couple of lines in my post say that I am unable to send them!

Dave Miedema
    Yeah....it's always best to try to get pictures when dealing with Dave! Not sure he knows what he is doing or talking about....

You know, I probably am one of those buyers you guys are talking about. For items that I think are listed for a BIN that I believe is way too high, I start low. I expect that sellers will make a counteroffer and see where we're at with prices. Sometimes I get no response, because a seller is too busy feeling insulted to come back with a higher price that I might accept. My thought is I'm negotiating and am definitely willing to up my offer.

Some people put stuff up for BIN/BO when they are just looking to get rid of something. I've struck gold with a couple of best offers, so I figure what's wrong with trying. You never know what's in a seller or buyer's mind. I once got an old all-star commemorative jacket for a great price because the seller was just looking to get rid of it after all these years. It's too huge to wear, so I just have it displaying on a wall.

I'll give a good example. I offered $150 on a $500 BIN, because I thought the starting price was ridiculous. I really did want the item, so I emailed the seller asking what he wanted for the item. If the seller would have counteroffered, I would have raised my price considerably. He wanted $350. A couple months later, I offered $200, and we worked out a deal for $250. In the end, I raised my initial price by $100.

I tried buying another item from the same seller for $25, when the BIN was $100. Had the seller counteroffered, I would have again raised my price. However, I didn't want the item nearly as much, so I didn't take the initiative to send him a message. The end result is that he let my offer expire. This person missed out on a potential sale because he wasn't willing to use the counteroffer feature.

So don't assume that every buyer is trying to get something for nothing. I don't think most would start off with their highest offer, unless someone is absolutely dying to have an item. It goes both ways. I don't sell practically at all on eBay, but I could start a thread about how I find sellers to be annoying with BIN/BO auctions. However, I don't, because I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about these types of auctions.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post

Dave Miedema
    While I definitely see what you're saying, cheap digital cameras can be bought for under $40. I've found there to be an expectation that everyone can provide pictures - or knows someone who will take them for him. Plus, some only skim the Classifieds section. So I am not surprised that someone asked three times for you to provide pictures. He probably thought that you could just have someone in your family or a good friend snap a few photos for you, if he asked another time.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408