For those who are insulted by “low ball offers”, I have to ask why you accept are using the best offer feature on eBay? Just let the auction run its course or set a buy-it-now price?

I recently was watching a bat on eBay that started out with a $3400 or best offer price. This bat was way overpriced, but it was a bat that I wanted it with not too many on the market so I offered $1000 for it.

Well this offer set the seller off; we went back and forth a few times, personal attacks, vulgar language… Anyway I did not buy the bat, but kept an eye on it. Slowly over a period of 6-8 weeks the bat went to a buy-it-now price of $ 2800, $2400, $1800, $1600, $1400, and then back up to $1600 with a best offer option.

I ended up making a deal with the seller, using my wife’s eBay account and bought the bat for $1150. I would have been willing to buy the bat for more than my first offer of $1000, and I would have paid more than $1150, but by being patient I feel I got the bat for a good, fair price. Mike Specht was kind enough to complete a record check through his certification service and I am very happy with it.

For all of the tire kickers out there, there are just as many crazy sellers who are way out of touch with the market.

Just take a look at this thread, where I am considered a low-baller, by the same person who started this current thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=22050&page=2&highlight=ruben+sier ra+bat

I remember at the time, Sierra bats were going for the price I offered. With the market now, I am glad he didn’t accept my price!

Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net