Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: tire kickers

Re: tire kickers

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Maybe the "Items Wanted" section of this website could be changed to "Tire-Kickers". Is it me or has any member of this site ever had any success answering a thread in the "Items Wanted" section?

Just a thought - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Jim
    I see where you're coming from. I may be guilty of this occasionally.

I'm a team collector, rather than strictly a player collector(for the most part), and I love UNC(basketball, baseball, football, and alumni from each), Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Bobcats, and numerous NBA "stars". So I collect a wide variety of players and items.

Most of the time, I do not have a specific thing I am looking for, and sometimes not even a player in mind, I'm just looking for some cool items from my favorite teams and finding these items is easiest with a broad listing in the "Items Wanted" section.

But, I'm a student, and although I manage my money very well and am able to purchase some high-end stuff, I have a pretty strict budget. I feel like the only time I "tire-kick" is when I'm on a strict budget and am pursuing many items at once. I wish I could buy everything I see from the teams mentioned above, but I obviously can't afford that. So when I am in negotiations with numerous sellers on numerous items, but I can only afford one or two of them, I find myself inevitably unintentionally "tire-kicking" in order to make my decision on which item to buy.

That's just my rambled additions to the conversation. I've also been on the sellers end, and can understand how incredibly aggravating it can be after sending 10 high-red photos, 10-15 emails over a few weeks, and all of that jazz.

I think it's good to be conscientious of this issue as a buyer but to be understanding as a seller.

I know this thread will continue to remind me to take the sellers thoughts into consideration, and I hope others will be reminded as well.

I recently responded to someone's "Items Wanted" post, and it resulted in a sale, without problems.

As far as posting there, myself - I am hesitant to do so, honestly, because on those couple of occasions when I did it in the past, items were offered to me without a stated price, and when I asked what the prospective Seller wanted for them, I got "Make me an offer"...and when I responded with something along the lines of, "It's yours, I don't know what you want for it" (not wanting to either give an insultingly low offer or potentially offer three times what the Seller had in mind) they either repeated the "Make me an offer" line, or stopped talking to me.

Am I wrong to think that, in most circumstances, the Seller should be the one to drop the first number into the conversation? As a Buyer, I don't mind a little haggling, but I just believe that it saves a lot of time and possible hard feelings if the guy who owns the thing makes the first move in that process.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I recently responded to someone's "Items Wanted" post, and it resulted in a sale, without problems.

As far as posting there, myself - I am hesitant to do so, honestly, because on those couple of occasions when I did it in the past, items were offered to me without a stated price, and when I asked what the prospective Seller wanted for them, I got "Make me an offer"...and when I responded with something along the lines of, "It's yours, I don't know what you want for it" (not wanting to either give an insultingly low offer or potentially offer three times what the Seller had in mind) they either repeated the "Make me an offer" line, or stopped talking to me.

Am I wrong to think that, in most circumstances, the Seller should be the one to drop the first number into the conversation? As a Buyer, I don't mind a little haggling, but I just believe that it saves a lot of time and possible hard feelings if the guy who owns the thing makes the first move in that process.
    I HATE that. People think you are the golden goose because they have an item from the player you collect. Courtesy is dying in this hobby and everyone is out to make every cent they can on people. In fact, had I not found the "Ignore User" button to block certain undesirably rude and self serving members, I would have simply left this site a few months ago. By blocking them, now all I see are the remaining quality members and GUU is fun again.

The downside of having a PC site is that now, people have come out of the woodwork with armbands, cleats, helmets, jockstraps, used gum, snot, whatever they can find used by my 2 players and expect me to not only beg them to buy it but pay through the nose. The other side is some collectors will NOT sell to me because they feel I have "enough items" or are mad that I wouldn't overpay for their item in the past and now won't even reply to my emails or allow me to send a Best Offer on eBay.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com