Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: tire kickers

Re: tire kickers

For those who are insulted by “low ball offers”, I have to ask why you accept are using the best offer feature on eBay? Just let the auction run its course or set a buy-it-now price?

I recently was watching a bat on eBay that started out with a $3400 or best offer price. This bat was way overpriced, but it was a bat that I wanted it with not too many on the market so I offered $1000 for it.

Well this offer set the seller off; we went back and forth a few times, personal attacks, vulgar language… Anyway I did not buy the bat, but kept an eye on it. Slowly over a period of 6-8 weeks the bat went to a buy-it-now price of $ 2800, $2400, $1800, $1600, $1400, and then back up to $1600 with a best offer option.

I ended up making a deal with the seller, using my wife’s eBay account and bought the bat for $1150. I would have been willing to buy the bat for more than my first offer of $1000, and I would have paid more than $1150, but by being patient I feel I got the bat for a good, fair price. Mike Specht was kind enough to complete a record check through his certification service and I am very happy with it.

For all of the tire kickers out there, there are just as many crazy sellers who are way out of touch with the market.

Just take a look at this thread, where I am considered a low-baller, by the same person who started this current thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=22050&page=2&highlight=ruben+sier ra+bat

I remember at the time, Sierra bats were going for the price I offered. With the market now, I am glad he didn’t accept my price!

Russell Mansfield
    batdna@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Maybe the "Items Wanted" section of this website could be changed to "Tire-Kickers". Is it me or has any member of this site ever had any success answering a thread in the "Items Wanted" section?

Just a thought - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Jim
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=41284

One of the fastest, easiest transactions I've ever completed was the sale of a beautiful 1973-75 Garvey GU8 bat to a forum member who posted in "Items Wanted."

Maybe the "Items Wanted" section of this website could be changed to "Tire-Kickers". Is it me or has any member of this site ever had any success answering a thread in the "Items Wanted" section?

Jim
    Jim -

Ask Ben (Gorilla777) about my Items Wanted post (which I just updated). I purchased a beautiful BiCentennial Larry Parrish LVS from him through my Wanted post.

- Smitty

P.S. - No Offense taken....

Re: tire kickers - sellers too

I think this goes both ways... Has anyone been "tire-kicked" by sellers?

A lot of people know I collect certain players or am shopping for certain bats, so I get solicited to purchase items quite frequently. There have been more than a handful of times somebody has approached me with an item to sell and I've been dragged along for upwards of two or three years on a couple of items. They've said they want to sell an item, I review it and make an offer, the seller agrees the terms were fair and accepts the terms, but they have just never decided to part with it. I send payment and its refunded, I ask to confirm their paypal address and they tell me to hold off. Every few months they check back in and ask if I am still interested and I indicate the offer stands and I am ready to pay and they back out of selling again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Jim
    I recently had a smooth transaction with someone who had posted they were seeking Corey Patterson items in the "Items Wanted" section....

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I recently had a smooth transaction with someone who had posted they were seeking Corey Patterson items in the "Items Wanted" section....
    I've had great transactions on Items Wanted before. I actually have worked out many deals as the result of posting Want Ads.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    i recently had a seller email me about an item i was looking for. when i asked for a price, i got the old, "i havent thought about it yet but feel free to make an offer" response. it was somewhat off-putting, so i was in no rush to do so (especially because the seller hadnt even given any specifics about the item). the next email i got was informing me that he had contacted a few people who were also interested in the item.

at that point, i asked for pictures and additional details. still havent seen them or even gotten a response back from the seller.

on the other end of things, i had one buyer negotiate a price with me on a jersey, ask for all kinds of pictures, and asking if i could mail the jersey out today. he sent me nothing short of 15 emails in a 24-hour period. after i went to sleep on saturday night, i even woke up to 3 different emails from him.

after it came time to buy, he hasnt emailed me in over a day

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post

A lot of people know I collect certain players or am shopping for certain bats, so I get solicited to purchase items quite frequently. There have been more than a handful of times somebody has approached me with an item to sell and I've been dragged along for upwards of two or three years on a couple of items. They've said they want to sell an item, I review it and make an offer, the seller agrees the terms were fair and accepts the terms, but they have just never decided to part with it. I send payment and its refunded, I ask to confirm their paypal address and they tell me to hold off. Every few months they check back in and ask if I am still interested and I indicate the offer stands and I am ready to pay and they back out of selling again.
    This has happened to me more than once from various sellers. I am led to believe that someone has a game used item to sell; therefore, I make an offer. When I give someone a price, that individual doesn't reply or says they are thinking about it, often for months. Then, in many cases, you never hear back from the "seller."

While it's fine to change one's mind, I don't like to be jerked around as to if I am getting something. I think if a buyer makes an offer, he should be given the common courtesy of a reply in a decent amount of time. Sometimes these things go on for months. In a few cases, for years. So I definitely agree that sellers aren't the only ones being tire-kicked.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

As a newbie I hope I don't sound like one. Just trying to learn a bunch of stuff. At this point I hope I am ok. I'm just try to be as up front about things as possible. Thanks for everyone being so helpful so far and look forward to establishing great relationships on here.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post

While it's fine to change one's mind, I don't like to be jerked around as to if I am getting something. I think if a buyer makes an offer, he should be given the common courtesy of a reply in a decent amount of time. Sometimes these things go on for months. In a few cases, for years. So I definitely agree that sellers aren't the only ones being tire-kicked.
    that's pretty much it. what does it take to say that i changed my mind or that im no longer interested in dealing? and in what universe do people think that ignoring emails or simply never responding is an ok thing to do?

it literally takes 15 seconds to tell someone that you're going to pass.