Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tire kickers

Re: tire kickers

While I definitely see what you're saying, cheap digital cameras can be bought for under $40.
    I remember when half the eBay auctions didn't include pics. Gotta have pics if you want to get a decent price. Especially if you're selling signed items, when players often have multiple versions of their signature.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    You know, I probably am one of those buyers you guys are talking about. For items that I think are listed for a BIN that I believe is way too high, I start low. I expect that sellers will make a counteroffer and see where we're at with prices. Sometimes I get no response, because a seller is too busy feeling insulted to come back with a higher price that I might accept. My thought is I'm negotiating and am definitely willing to up my offer.

Some people put stuff up for BIN/BO when they are just looking to get rid of something. I've struck gold with a couple of best offers, so I figure what's wrong with trying. You never know what's in a seller or buyer's mind. I once got an old all-star commemorative jacket for a great price because the seller was just looking to get rid of it after all these years. It's too huge to wear, so I just have it displaying on a wall.

I'll give a good example. I offered $150 on a $500 BIN, because I thought the starting price was ridiculous. I really did want the item, so I emailed the seller asking what he wanted for the item. If the seller would have counteroffered, I would have raised my price considerably. He wanted $350. A couple months later, I offered $200, and we worked out a deal for $250. In the end, I raised my initial price by $100.

I tried buying another item from the same seller for $25, when the BIN was $100. Had the seller counteroffered, I would have again raised my price. However, I didn't want the item nearly as much, so I didn't take the initiative to send him a message. The end result is that he let my offer expire. This person missed out on a potential sale because he wasn't willing to use the counteroffer feature.

So don't assume that every buyer is trying to get something for nothing. I don't think most would start off with their highest offer, unless someone is absolutely dying to have an item. It goes both ways. I don't sell practically at all on eBay, but I could start a thread about how I find sellers to be annoying with BIN/BO auctions. However, I don't, because I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about these types of auctions.

-Frik

running off of that, i always try to open up some kind of dialogue with people who make offers on my BINs and id say that around 90% of the time, they dont even have the common courtesy to respond. sometimes i counter, sometimes i send them a message, and sometimes i counter along with a message. very rarely do people even respond and that really p1sses me off to no end.

what irks me the most (and i might have mentioned it on the board recently) is when i send a counter offer and the buyers dont even have the common courtesy to decline. if i can counter, what does it take for someone to click the reject button?

business practices like that have also kind of left me jaded, so lately i dont even counter all the time. i figure that if someone is seriously interested in anything other than d1cking around that they will make another offer. what you're saying is that sometimes they dont. so i guess we continue to go around in circles

ive had 1 fool kicking the tire on one of my ebay jerseys since april!!! at that time, he emailed me asking if i would do it for a set price, i agreed, and then i never heard from him again. this was after he asked for details about the jersey and photos that were all linked in the item description.

at one point, i mentioned the signature on it and he responded in disbelief that it was autographed--it was only mentioned in the opening line of the auction.

he then emailed me a couple of months ago again asking what my bottom price was. when i told him that i was fine with his initial offer, he said that i would take it if i gave him a great deal for it. i told him i would knock $50 off if he saved me the ebay fees. after a few more emails involving asinine questions (he once again asked for pictures!!!!!!), he tells me that he only does transactions through ebay and wants to get my best "ebay" price. back to square one

i was reluctant to sell him to sod off because i thought he might have been a little bit slow, but i looked at his feeback and the guy deals high ticket items.

the next time he emails me, i might not be so nice. we're going on 3 months now!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ferro39 View Post
    running off of that, i always try to open up some kind of dialogue with people who make offers on my BINs and id say that around 90% of the time, they dont even have the common courtesy to respond. sometimes i counter, sometimes i send them a message, and sometimes i counter along with a message. very rarely do people even respond and that really p1sses me off to no end.

what irks me the most (and i might have mentioned it on the board recently) is when i send a counter offer and the buyers dont even have the common courtesy to decline. if i can counter, what does it take for someone to click the reject button?

business practices like that have also kind of left me jaded, so lately i dont even counter all the time. i figure that if someone is seriously interested in anything other than d1cking around that they will make another offer. what you're saying is that sometimes they dont. so i guess we continue to go around in circles

ive had 1 fool kicking the tire on one of my ebay jerseys since april!!! at that time, he emailed me asking if i would do it for a set price, i agreed, and then i never heard from him again. this was after he asked for details about the jersey and photos that were all linked in the item description.

at one point, i mentioned the signature on it and he responded in disbelief that it was autographed--it was only mentioned in the opening line of the auction.

he then emailed me a couple of months ago again asking what my bottom price was. when i told him that i was fine with his initial offer, he said that i would take it if i gave him a great deal for it. i told him i would knock $50 off if he saved me the ebay fees. after a few more emails involving asinine questions (he once again asked for pictures!!!!!!), he tells me that he only does transactions through ebay and wants to get my best "ebay" price. back to square one

i was reluctant to sell him to sod off because i thought he might have been a little bit slow, but i looked at his feeback and the guy deals high ticket items.

the next time he emails me, i might not be so nice. we're going on 3 months now!!

I am not sure what everyone else is selling, but when I do sell on ebay very rarely, I do try to sell some measure of higher end game used which is rare but on occassion I do this.

I will be honest, I really, really get annoyed when I have a BIN or BO and lets say I have a BIN price of $5000 and kid you not, I get BO of $500 - $800.00. I am not even going to waste my time countering on that ridiculous offer. It is one thing to put in a reasonable offer up front that is negotiable but if you are stupid enough to think anyone is going to accept a price at 15 - 20% of your BIN you probably should not be left out of your cage. Again, I don't know everyone else's selling practices, however I price my items even at BIN competitively with all other items of that type which have sold via major auction and or ebay over the past 12 - 18 months. I know some sellers way overprice items, I do not. My items are all premium highly graded and authenticated and quite frankly it is ridiculous to me that you as a buyer do not understand the market that you would insult a seller with offers like that.

I find that probably about 50% of the time, I actually get very competitive offers on premium items and often I am able to work something out when we are not far apart.

It really is as simple as you cannot account for stupidity and some people are either misinformed, trying to be funny, or just as mentioned kicking the tires and wasting their time and yours.

Joe

Joe,

I just listed a bunch of stuff on ebay and, when I do a BIN, you can set the auction to automatically decline offers under a certain amount. I always use that.

But, tire kickers are everywhere. You either deal with them or you don't. I think Craigslist is to blame for some of it. It's like an online flea market. I've had so many people tell me about back and forths on Craigslist. I haven't sold on there so I'm not sure how it works.

Kyle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by intheminors View Post
    Joe,

I just listed a bunch of stuff on ebay and, when I do a BIN, you can set the auction to automatically decline offers under a certain amount. I always use that.

But, tire kickers are everywhere. You either deal with them or you don't. I think Craigslist is to blame for some of it. It's like an online flea market. I've had so many people tell me about back and forths on Craigslist. I haven't sold on there so I'm not sure how it works.

Kyle
    Great point Kyle I forgot about that one.

I tried Craigs list once or twice complete waste of time as I was getting spam emails for male enhancements and the like and I am not making that up.

I guess the more anyone tries to avoid the major auction houses and fees that go along with that the more of this type of thing you are going to attract. Although going that route is infinitely more costly, if you are selling anything of real value, I would suggest going that route or be prepared to simply deal with all the nonsense that goes along with this thread.

Using all the additional features on ebay as suggested is another route although I still find I get hammered with a bunch of absolutely stupid questions. I always try to take as many detailed photos when selling as I can along with a very detailed description. I try to really eliminate the need to be questioned to death on everything but there is only so much one can do.

In the end, I probably sell anything on ebay about 4 - 6 items per year so you just deal with it and move on.

Joe

dont even get me started on craigslist. id say that for every 10 emails from people telling me that they will take an item, that maybe 1 or 2 actually come through. that's how bad it has become.

it's kind of a necessary evil for large items or for items that simply cant be shipped economically.

after my grandmother passed, i helped my family get rid of some of the contents of her home because they're not very computer savvy an it turned into a poop show. her house was about 15-20 minutes from mine, so whenever someone would set up a time to go over there and not show up, id basically wing up killing like 2 hours between travel time and hanging around.

one mook called me en route telling me that she would be there in 15 minutes and simply never showed up after that, and stopped answering her cell phone. this was after she begged me to sell her the item.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSportsFan View Post
    I am not sure what everyone else is selling, but when I do sell on ebay very rarely, I do try to sell some measure of higher end game used which is rare but on occassion I do this.

I will be honest, I really, really get annoyed when I have a BIN or BO and lets say I have a BIN price of $5000 and kid you not, I get BO of $500 - $800.00. I am not even going to waste my time countering on that ridiculous offer. It is one thing to put in a reasonable offer up front that is negotiable but if you are stupid enough to think anyone is going to accept a price at 15 - 20% of your BIN you probably should not be left out of your cage. Again, I don't know everyone else's selling practices, however I price my items even at BIN competitively with all other items of that type which have sold via major auction and or ebay over the past 12 - 18 months. I know some sellers way overprice items, I do not. My items are all premium highly graded and authenticated and quite frankly it is ridiculous to me that you as a buyer do not understand the market that you would insult a seller with offers like that.

I find that probably about 50% of the time, I actually get very competitive offers on premium items and often I am able to work something out when we are not far apart.

It really is as simple as you cannot account for stupidity and some people are either misinformed, trying to be funny, or just as mentioned kicking the tires and wasting their time and yours.

Joe
    Being I try to clear the closet once a year, take a loss on some stuff and buy new items in my ever redefined collection, I see ebay also as a necessary evil. I share your point of view as well.

I had a GU helmet on there, and I paid $325 for it, had a BIN for $275 with free shipping, and honestly would take $230. I am very flexible with best offers, if someone comes close I will also work with them. Some clown out the gate offered me $99. I mean, I cannot make that up! WTF? I will not even amuse contacting someone like that, either.

Then I get the inevitable "why won't you pay customs, fill out a 6 page form and ship it overseas for me FOR FREE?" Even though I state do not even ask me to ship out of the USA. Again, why waste my time with the emails? Alot of time, they get testy, asking what is my justification for not selling to them in Japan, or the UK? I do not need to tell you my reasons!

I really loathe ebay, and am happy I only use it as little as I do these days.

Everyone loves to make a fast buck, and I think that more often than not these tire kickers are going for the quick flip (I'm talking about the ones who give ridiculous offers). They scan the eBay countryside, finding the GU items that catch their eye, and might toss offers to many sellers at the same time -- playing a numbers game (we all knew guys in high school like that.... Put yourself out there to 30 girls and maybe one will take the bait!)

So when you don't take their insulting offer, they're already contacting the next batch of sellers. They weren't really serious about your item in the first place.

As bad as this sounds, I do continue to hear stories about how this plan gets results for these lowballers from time to time. Another scenario is the serious collector who simply does not have the money for the item, but decides to go for the "hail mary" just to see what happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    Then I get the inevitable "why won't you pay customs, fill out a 6 page form and ship it overseas for me FOR FREE?" Even though I state do not even ask me to ship out of the USA. Again, why waste my time with the emails? Alot of time, they get testy, asking what is my justification for not selling to them in Japan, or the UK? I do not need to tell you my reasons!.
    not too long ago, i had a guy send me a long email wondering why i wouldnt send an item to canada. he made it sound like him buying the item was only a formality and that me not shipping to him was the only thing holding him back. he even made it a point to tell me how he lived in the town that the player grew up in so that it would be the perfect place for the jersey. it was a failry high-ticket item, so i didnt want to risk getting ripped off. we went back and forth a few times

finally, i relented and said that i would send it global priority with tracking and cover half of it. at that point, i never heard from him again.

Banned

Maybe the "Items Wanted" section of this website could be changed to "Tire-Kickers". Is it me or has any member of this site ever had any success answering a thread in the "Items Wanted" section?

Just a thought - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Jim