Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Superstar Jersey Wear

Forum Readers-
    I was just reading part of a Lampson LOA for a Jeter Yankees game worn jersey on Ebay.

I find the following line to be extremely interesting, "Technically, the jersey appears to be correct in all facets, has no alterations and shows light but consistent wear, which is apropo for a superstar jersey of Jeter's magnitude"

I've had quite a few jerseys in my days, both superstar, commons and coaches. what I usually find with superstar jerseys is that they show the same or even more wear than the scrubs, commons and coaches.

Unless I'm mistaken, Jeter was not known to order extra jerseys, nor did the Yankees sell extra jerseys. As such, what is this "wear" statement based on and why would it not show wear as compared to other Yankees home jerseys from this same season?

The link is attached:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Derek-Jeter-2002...QQcmdZViewItem

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Re: Superstar Jersey Wear

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Forum Readers-
    I was just reading part of a Lampson LOA for a Jeter Yankees game worn jersey on Ebay.

I find the following line to be extremely interesting, "Technically, the jersey appears to be correct in all facets, has no alterations and shows light but consistent wear, which is apropo for a superstar jersey of Jeter's magnitude"

I've had quite a few jerseys in my days, both superstar, commons and coaches. what I usually find with superstar jerseys is that they show the same or even more wear than the scrubs, commons and coaches.

Unless I'm mistaken, Jeter was not known to order extra jerseys, nor did the Yankees sell extra jerseys. As such, what is this "wear" statement based on and why would it not show wear as compared to other Yankees home jerseys from this same season?

The link is attached:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Derek-Jeter-2002...QQcmdZViewItem

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Too bad Lou doesn't have a phone number or email address so the public can contact him and ask him questions such as the one Howard has made above.

What good is a LOA if there is no contact information of the authenticator available?

Has Lou Lampson ever gotten anything right? I'm not saying he's wrong here but it just seems like he's wrong a whole lot more than he is right.

Tim

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stkmtimo View Post
    Has Lou Lampson ever gotten anything right? I'm not saying he's wrong here but it just seems like he's wrong a whole lot more than he is right.

Tim
    Tim, here is the problem.

We do not know how many items Lou has written LOAs for. I bet he has gotten many more right than wrong over the years. The Derek Jeter jersey in this thread may be good, but that is not the issue here. The issue is that Lou gave his reasoning and there is no way to contact him to ask how he used a reasoning that an interested party, Howard Wolf, has concern about why his determination was based on a theory that appears backyards to Howard.

From what I have heard, Lou is the best on vintage NFL jerseys. Beyond that is anyone's guess. I'd theory that the users of this forum find issues with items and discuss it, but when an item is good that Lou has written a letter for you never hear about it.

Didn't The Lampson adopt a new grading scale like MEARS? 5, 6, 8, 5.5, 7.5 and so on? Correct me if I am wrong.

Was The Lampson at the 2000 National in Anaheim? Does anyone know for sure? I could not find him in Anaheim at this summer's National. I looked.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Didn't The Lampson adopt a new grading scale like MEARS? 5, 6, 8, 5.5, 7.5 and so on? Correct me if I am wrong.

Was The Lampson at the 2000 National in Anaheim? Does anyone know for sure? I could not find him in Anaheim at this summer's National. I looked.
    You should have checked the AMI booth, I hear he is often found there.

Yes, Lou now has a grading system. I believe details are soon to be released on his web site.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Tim, here is the problem.

We do not know how many items Lou has written LOAs for. I bet he has gotten many more right than wrong over the years. The Derek Jeter jersey in this thread may be good, but that is not the issue here. The issue is that Lou gave his reasoning and there is no way to contact him to ask how he used a reasoning that an interested party, Howard Wolf, has concern about why his determination was based on a theory that appears backyards to Howard.

From what I have heard, Lou is the best on vintage NFL jerseys. Beyond that is anyone's guess. I'd theory that the users of this forum find issues with items and discuss it, but when an item is good that Lou has written a letter for you never hear about it.
    Joel,

Good points. We all are interested when Lampson makes a mistake or says something curious (like Howard brought up) and I know many people would love to question him. I am especially interested in that Green St. Patrick's Day Ripken jersey that he wrote the letter for but as you said, how can someone even contact him if he doesn't have his contact information available anywhere?

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but does 100% Authentic have his contact information? Maybe someone can go that route to attempt to establish contact with Lou. To be honest, I've never even heard of anyone talking to him personally. Has anyone here met him?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    You should have checked the AMI booth, I hear he is often found there.

Yes, Lou now has a grading system. I believe details are soon to be released on his web site.
    A website, but no e-mail. Sounds about right.

people never seem to look like what you expect. why did i imagine lou looking more like this? (i know, i know, i watch too much tv).

rudy.