Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teams Pre-selling game-used

I've just noticed MLB clubs (eg Braves and Red Sox) are allowing people to order game-used items, like balls and bases, before the game's played. The Red Sox site says that owners, players, managers, coaches, and the Hall of Fame can override a pre-order (such as, I suppose, if a no-hitter occurs) in which the buyer gets a refund.

Re: Teams Pre-selling game-used

I know the Brewers did that with their St. Pattys day spring training jerseys. I think they dabble in it with regular season. I know they bring up balls, bats, etc up to their game used kiosk around the 6th inning. I think you can preorder some bases but not sure you can preorder a specific players stuff. Kind of crazy that people are willing to pay for something they've never seen before actually receiving. Doesn't quite float my boat. But I suppose it does for some.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    I've just noticed MLB clubs (eg Braves and Red Sox) are allowing people to order game-used items, like balls and bases, before the game's played. The Red Sox site says that owners, players, managers, coaches, and the Hall of Fame can override a pre-order (such as, I suppose, if a no-hitter occurs) in which the buyer gets a refund.

The Vancouver Canucks do this too. Plus, they have the added bonus of reserving the right to, for any reason charge more for an item that has already been paid for in full. How the hell that is legal? Selling something, having someone pay for it in full and then deciding that even though our financial transaction is complete, you can just add upcharges?

Reason #72734 why their game worn program is almost as as Mickey Mouse as Steiner.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

A ton of teams do this, most notably teams that really advertise game used memorabilia. A lot you can per order a ball or base and I think the Reds will even deliver you your item halfway through the game. I like the idea as you can watch your item during the game and get good pictures, but other than that the positives are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    The Vancouver Canucks do this too. Plus, they have the added bonus of reserving the right to, for any reason charge more for an item that has already been paid for in full. How the hell that is legal? Selling something, having someone pay for it in full and then deciding that even though our financial transaction is complete, you can just add upcharges?

Reason #72734 why their game worn program is almost as as Mickey Mouse as Steiner.
    They should be giving away stuff this year lol.

Rockies pre-sold Charlie Blackmons opening day 6 for 6 jersey and cant deliver because it is being retained by club/mlb.
    Always looking for Noah Syndergaard, Charlie Blackmon, Jordan Pacheco & Kenneth Faried items, thx!

MLB and the teams are definitely a large group of capitalists.

I will presale a game used baseball from the Padres series against the Tigers right now if someone wants to buy one for $35.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

I will also be preselling the event worn sox I will be wearing during the entire game. They will come unwashed with field dirt on them. They will be utilized for walking through the tunnels and grabbing items from the authenticators.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    The Red Sox site says that owners, players, managers, coaches, and the Hall of Fame can override a pre-order (such as, I suppose, if a no-hitter occurs) in which the buyer gets a refund.
    That's bullshit. If you pre-order and pre-pay, the item should be yours, regardless of whether or not something significant occurred during the game. That gamble should be an incentive of using the pre-order program.

- You pre-pay $10,000 for the jersey of a guy who has 2,999 hits...and he goes 0 for 5.
    - You pre-pay $100 for the jersey of an unknown...and he hits 5 homers.

In both cases, the item is yours. Win some, lose some...the teams would probably come out better in the end.