Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Game Used v. Game Issued

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    I have come across a situation recently which involves a jersey that shows a decent amount of use but the seller admitted to having "worn the jersey and laundered it." The question it brings to mind is how does one know that the apparent use that he sees on a game used jersey is in fact game use and not "collector use"?
    Good question.

I don't think you can ever really tell 100%. First factors are correct tagging, lettering, etc. If all that falls into place, then wear and tear should be a pretty decent sign that the game use is genuine.

Of course, as a rookie in this great GU hobby, that's just my opinion. Advice from the pros is appreciated.

Game Used vs. Game Issued Jerseys

I know the definition of both, but my question is..........

I am collecting to just collect. I am not looking to try and make money off of my collection. I am in this for the fun of it, and that's all. So for me would it make that much of a difference if I had game issued vs. game used jerseys? My gut opinion would be that, for me, either one is ok. I just would like other opinions to help guide me since I am still a newbie.

Thanks

Re: Game Used vs. Game Issued Jerseys

Since my collection centers on University of Hawaii players, most of my jerseys are considered commons and for the most part won't make me any money. I try to get game used jerseys first but would buy game issued if the price is right. I also buy practice used jerseys. The main thing, I collect what I enjoy.

The question is whether it's important to you to know that your jerseys were worn by the players on the field, court, ice, etc. For game used collectors, that is the key, and there is something very special knowing that these exact jerseys and other equipment were the very items that were on field and a part of the game. That's why photo matches are so cool and why many of us like to see lots of evidence of wear (particularly hockey jersey collectors, who like their jerseys to be "hammered" with use).

Of course, some folks would be just has happy owning jerseys that are just like the ones worn by the players, but which were never actually worn in games. If that's all your collecting interest requires, then by all means save some money and buy those because they'll usually be much cheaper.

Bottom line is that each collector has their own particular collecting preferences. Collect whatever appeals to you.

I personally like unwashed game used NFL stuff. The hit marks,mud,repairs,grass stains all make it unique and different.It also tells a little story about the game or the player that game. I have a Justin Miller Raiders that is pretty covered in mud, now i am the biggest Jets fan but that jersey is one of my favorite b/c of all the mud.

Game issued is something but not for but everyone. The only difference in them as you know is that it wasn't on the field. This could be good for a rare jersey per say a pro bowl or super bowl jersey if it issued over game worn b/c they will be cheaper.

At the end of the day collect what you like and only what you like. Most of the collections won't be worth half of what you paid for it anyway(not many things are), so buy for yourself and if you see a game worn you like more then an issued but for a bit more money, go for it.

As many have touched on this post already, the main difference is price. But sometimes that price is minor. For an "average" NFL player, you may only pay $25-50 less for an issued jersey than a worn one. But if you collect that player (or in my case a University), it is well worth it.

Bigger name players are one way to go for the issued jersey, as say you may not want to shell out 12k for Ichiro, but might pay 3k for his issued jersey (I would not personally, but for instance...).

Also, game worn can carry a much deeper significance depending on how and when that player wore those jerseys, cleats, helmet, etc.

I think for framing and potentially getting them signed, game issued is the way to go. But if you are into the torn, grass stained, mud, stink and rips then game worn is for you.

Banned

whats the difference between, game used, player issued vs team issued

Is team issued not specific final cut to jersey for player

and game issued is the players exact cuts to jersey, just he never wore it.

and game used is worn in game or on sideline during a game

I ask because I just bought a Game Issued Pennington jersey from 09 season when he was listed on IR the whole season, but I'm pretty sure he wore the jersey on the sidelines with no pads on sometimes. So whats this considered?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins23 View Post
    whats the difference between, game used, player issued vs team issued

Is team issued not specific final cut to jersey for player

and game issued is the players exact cuts to jersey, just he never wore it.

and game used is worn in game or on sideline during a game

I ask because I just bought a Game Issued Pennington jersey from 09 season when he was listed on IR the whole season, but I'm pretty sure he wore the jersey on the sidelines with no pads on sometimes. So whats this considered?
    i would still consider that game worn, he did technically wear it during a game, just didnt play.

"Team issued" gets bounced around here alot. The best way to think of team issued is being a jersey that was made for the player, but not used for some reason. The reasons can vary greatly; player injured, player gets trade, jersey made up for a minor league player who never gets the call up, or even jerseys in different sizes for the player to chose from. Regarless of the reason, a team issued jersey should have all of the proper tagging, patches, etc.

It get's tricky when you consider that MLB will not authenticate anything as game worn unless they SEE the player in the jersey. So if the authenticator is not there, or the team chooses to have everything authenticated at the end of the season.....then they are all codes as team issued, even though it may have tons of wear.

The next issue is like with the Pennigton...where does it do from game issued to promotional use to bench use? There are strict collectors out there who will deem a one game TBTC jersey as game issued if it is a player (often pitchers) who didn't pitch in the game. Is there really a big difference between a jersey worn for an inning of work and one that was worn by the player, just on the bench?

Next is pricing....in the case of lower end players, there is not going to be much difference because the gamers are so cheap themselves. On the higher end, there is not much difference in price because there is a big enough demand for that player. Somewhere in the middle though, the prices of team issued jerseys can be as much as half of the price.

I consider any jersey that was worn in the game, regardless if the player played or not, game used.

Lets say a special teams player is on the field for one play, but they call a time out before the play starts, and then he is taken out of the game and does not return-is that game used? He saw the field but didnt participate in a play. I think if someone is suited up and ready to go then it is game used.

Also from a baseball standpoint, lets say a pitcher comes out of the bullpen and is about to throw a pitch and the batter calls time out. Then the manager comes and makes a pitching change before the pitcher has thrown a pitch. Is that shirt game used? He was on the mound, ready to go but the manager took him out before he could throw a pitch. How is that different from just sitting in the bullpen ready to go?

People may disagree with that and think that a player has to be actively involved in the game for a shirt to be game used. I think that if a player is suited up the shirt is game used. It may not show any use but that is something for the collector to take into account when buying the jersey.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 shirt. Paying up to a 500$ finders fee
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com