Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Show off your clear shell helmets

Clear shell helmets have long been my favorite style of helmet. I've probably owned about 2 dozen since I've been collecting. I've only got four currently, but hope to pick up some more soon. I'd like to see what else anyone else has. Post em' if you got em'.

Temple and North Dakota MacGregor helmets and Florida State Kelley helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Re: Show off your clear shell helmets

Georgia Tech Kelley helmet. Both the FSU and GT were recent pick ups from the amazing Curtis at Helmet Hut.

Thanks for starting this thread. Really enjoyed seeing the ACC helmets of Florida State and Ga Tech. Nice pictures. I love the numerous 'battle scars' on the Florida State helmet. I primarily collect ACC modern helmets, and love the ones banged up and game worn the best.
    I watched for a while these on eBay and at Helmet Huts sites and just could not pull the trigger...glad they found one who will truly appreciate these gamers...if you grow weary of them keep me in mind...I have been thinking of reducing the number I have since I have some multiples from some schools to allow me funds to pick up new lids...yet each one I have is unique and it's fun to search and find out who did wear the helmet if I did not know at the acquisition point.

Very nice lids Gridiron! Happy 4th!

Tom
    Go State! NC State grad 1981

I second what Tom said. I watched several of these and bid on a couple. Glad they're in hands, and thanks for sharing photos. I bet you grabbed that Washington State one from me this week too. Hahahahahahaha.

Yes, I did pick up the Cougars helmet. That one is a beauty and I'm looking forward to it.

Tom,
    Send me an email at gridironheroes22@yahoo.com I have a trade proposition you might be interested in.

Regards, Shawn

Below are photos of the only clear shell helmet I've ever had in my collection. The helmet was worn by Paul Robinson in 1974 when he played for the league-champion Birmingham Americans of the long-gone World Football League. Robinson, the AFL Rookie-of-the Year in 1968 when he was with the Cincinnati Bengals (also played with the Houston Oilers in the early 1970s), wore this helmet until it was cracked below the left ear hole during a game in the latter part of the year (see the last photo). At that point, he switched to a Riddell for the remainder of the season.

This is absolutely my favorite style of helmet, bar none. The only disappointment about this helmet is that Birmingham put the decals and stripes over the outside of its MacGregor helmets. Most of the players wore Riddell, so I am guessing they placed the decals/stripes on the outside of the MacGregors for convenience.

I wore a MacGregor my first year of playing semi-pro football in 1977, but quickly switched to a Bike as I never felt particularly well-protected wearing the MacGregor with the criss-cross (waffle) padding. I sold my MacGregor for a few bucks to a teammate two years later, and in the opening game of the year, he suffered a bad concussion when he was blindsided covering a punt. He never played again.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Mark,
    That is one sweet helmet. You don't see many of those around! Thanks for posting.

Shawn

SMU Helmet from Bob Hope's collection. (Red clips were broken)

Oklahoma Sooners.