Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Show off your clear shell helmets

Quote Originally Posted by yosef777 View Post
    Michael,
    Warner's MaxPro looks like the Kineomatic model, which the Seahawks could then have been painted over using his Penn State MaxPro or it could be an impregnated model that may have been painted.

Cyclone nation you can send me an email at abbaistereo@hotmail.com
    Yep, I would venture to guess that if Curt wore the Kineomatic clear shell at Penn State, then that would be an exterior painted clear shell. Question is, are you sure he wore a MaxPro clear shell while at Penn State? Just don't see that trademark front forehaed pad that you usually see peaking out?

Quote Originally Posted by princip View Post
    Yep, I would venture to guess that if Curt wore the Kineomatic clear shell at Penn State, then that would be an exterior painted clear shell. Question is, are you sure he wore a MaxPro clear shell while at Penn State? Just don't see that trademark front forehaed pad that you usually see peaking out?
    Being you are talking about my all time favorite player from my youth, I decided to help out and load the following images .
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    Being you are talking about my all time favorite player from my youth, I decided to help out and load the following images .
    Ah yes, thanks Shipp! That top right image is the money shot, and pretty much shows Curt wearing the MaxPro clear shell Kineomatic. So, albeit brief, there was a high profile Seahawk who actually wore the MaxPro clear shell model, although with exterior paint and decals.

Shipp_96,
    Fantastic photos thank you! You took a page out of aeneas01 page with that documentation : )

Michael,
    I agree decals are on the outside surface on the Seahawks while the Penn State is definitely a clear shell.

Quote Originally Posted by princip View Post
    Ah yes, thanks Shipp! That top right image is the money shot, and pretty much shows Curt wearing the MaxPro clear shell Kineomatic. So, albeit brief, there was a high profile Seahawk who actually wore the MaxPro clear shell model, although with exterior paint and decals.
    Shipp_96,
    Fantastic photos thank you! You took a page out of aeneas01 page with that documentation : )

Michael,
    I agree decals are on the outside surface on the Seahawks while the Penn State is definitely a clear shell.
    Well everyone from Penn State wore the MaxPro clear shells back then - they had all their players wearing the same helmet model, and they wore the Kineomatics from at least the John Cappelleti days (1973 - with side numbers) on until the middle 80s (maybe even as late as the 1987 Fiesta Bowl) before they replaced them with Riddell and AiR/Schutt helmets.

Now for Warner's Seahawks helmet could it be a clear shell painted silver on the inside but with exterior decals? Was that "MAXPRO" logo in between the facemask mounting screws typically on the inside or on the outside of the shell? I have to admit the only Kineomatics I've seen in person were older ones that did not have the "MAXPRO" logo on the front.

John from KY,
    That is a good question in regards to the Seahawks / Warner helmet it could have been painted silver on the inside but I assumed Warner brought it with him as no other Seahawks that I know of wore MaxPros plus I believe the Seahawks were quite 'frugal' with their EQ (as they were a Riddell team).

I didn't think Penn State wore MaxPro (which would have actually been a Marietta in the early 70's before they became MaxPro) back in the days of Cappelletti I can't tell 100% from photos but I thought it was still Riddells.

Also, when Marietta was sold (around '75-'76) and became MaxPro they didn't add the MaxPro logo between the helmet clips until years later.

BTW, the MaxPro logo was on a piece of plastic which was screwed into place on the outside of the shell in between the top helmet clips. A few players who wore two bars (Staubach and Cliff Harris of the Cowboys) had a sticker there as they didn't have top helmet clips on their helmets.

Stop the press, maybe this is a MaxPro, check out the hole through the center stripe. I doubt the EQ manger was cutting holes in the center stripe for the entire team.

John in KY,
    You are correct sir, Marietta/MaxPro on Cappelletti!

John from KY,
    That is a good question in regards to the Seahawks / Warner helmet it could have been painted silver on the inside but I assumed Warner brought it with him as no other Seahawks that I know of wore MaxPros plus I believe the Seahawks were quite 'frugal' with their EQ (as they were a Riddell team).

I didn't think Penn State wore MaxPro (which would have actually been a Marietta in the early 70's before they became MaxPro) back in the days of Cappelletti I can't tell 100% from photos but I thought it was still Riddells.

Also, when Marietta was sold (around '75-'76) and became MaxPro they didn't add the MaxPro logo between the helmet clips until years later.

BTW, the MaxPro logo was on a piece of plastic which was screwed into place on the outside of the shell in between the top helmet clips. A few players who wore two bars (Staubach and Cliff Harris of the Cowboys) had a sticker there as they didn't have top helmet clips on their helmets.
    Looks like were were both right for the Cappelletti era - he has a Kineomatic (would have been Marietta then - I forgot to clarify that) but the o-lineman #54 has a Riddell suspension helmet. I'm fairly certain the Riddells were gone by the time they dropped the helmet numbers, then it was all Marietta/MaxPros until pretty late in the 1980s (I suppose once these were discontinued they didn't move on to the newer MaxPros).

Thanks - I had no idea if that "MAXPRO" logo on the later ones was inside or outside the shell; it makes sense that if they could be attached outside then they would do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by John in KY View Post
    Looks like were were both right for the Cappelletti era - he has a Kineomatic (would have been Marietta then - I forgot to clarify that) but the o-lineman #54 has a Riddell suspension helmet. I'm fairly certain the Riddells were gone by the time they dropped the helmet numbers, then it was all Marietta/MaxPros until pretty late in the 1980s (I suppose once these were discontinued they didn't move on to the newer MaxPros).

Thanks - I had no idea if that "MAXPRO" logo on the later ones was inside or outside the shell; it makes sense that if they could be attached outside then they would do it that way.
    I'm quoting myself since you can't edit here. It appears the Marietta/MaxPro years for Penn State were 1973 (Cappelletti's Heisman year) through the end of the 1982 season (Penn State's National Championship season). I was going through the Sports Illustrated vault and noticed that at the Sugar Bowl in January 1983 (or was it December 31, 1982 that year?) they were still in MaxPros. However, there was a feature on their game with Nebraska in the 1983 regular season and it appears they are back in Riddells. Of course there could be some overlap (like that one photo of Cappelletti shows him with the Marietta but a teammate with a Riddell while the color photo shows not only him but 2 other teammates with Mariettas) and I haven't found any good shots of Penn State from say the 1983/84 seasons that happen to show a player with a MaxPro but you never know. Any shots I've turned up from the 1975 through 1982 seasons show all Penn State players wearing Marietta/MaxPro clearshells.