Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Show off your clear shell helmets

FSU Seminoles. Greg Allen & Bobby Bowden signatures. (Red clips were broken & no facemask) Supposedly Greg Allen's helmet.

SMU Helmet in Bob Hopes house.

Wow, this thread is starting to be very cool! Jacuzzi, nice to see you posting on GUU again! Thanks for sharing those awesome photos of Bob Hope's collection! You might want to post that last photo of Bob Hope's collection into the Show Me Your Memorabilia Room thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingshelmetguy View Post
    Wow, this thread is starting to be very cool! Jacuzzi, nice to see you posting on GUU again! Thanks for sharing those awesome photos of Bob Hope's collection! You might want to post that last photo of Bob Hope's collection into the Show Me Your Memorabilia Room thread.
    Thanks. I mostly lurk All the photos except for the last one in Bob Hope's house are helmets in my collection. The SMU helmet used to belong to Bob Hope, but now it's mine!

Those are some sweet clear shells. That's one of the very, very few SMU clear shells I've seen out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacuzzi View Post
    Thanks. I mostly lurk All the photos except for the last one in Bob Hope's house are helmets in my collection. The SMU helmet used to belong to Bob Hope, but now it's mine!
    Jacuzzi, that's pretty incredible to not only own a Maxpro clear shell SMU helmet, but also to have acquired it from the personal collection of Bob Hope. That's incredible! Just curious, how did you get a helmet from Bob Hope's collection? Was his sports memorabilia collection auctioned off to the public at some point?

Hate to be a dumbass and ask this but what is a clear shell helmet exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by mad87man View Post
    Hate to be a dumbass and ask this but what is a clear shell helmet exactly?
    Hi Mad87man, your question is a very good one (and not dumb at all). Clear shell helmets are football helmets that have the paint, stripes and logos applied to the helmet beneath a clear outer shell, so that the logos and stripes stay intact and do not have to be replaced. Only a few helmet manufacturers made them in the 70's and 80's (Maxpro and Kelly brands, I believe), and they are very rare and very desirable to many football helmet collectors. Here are two links that you can read that gives great background on clear shell helmets. The first link is from the incredible Helmet Hut website that features an amazing Cincinnati Bengals Maxpro clear shell helmet and a great history of clear shell helmets:

http://www.helmethut.com/Bengals/Simmons.html

This next link is a story on Uniwatch featuring my friend and Seahawks helmet collector, Mike Princip, and his amazing creation of a Seahawks Kelly clear shell (which is also featured on Mike's www.greenglare.com website):

http://www.uni-watch.com/2008/04/07/...gton-monument/

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingshelmetguy View Post
    Hi Mad87man, your question is a very good one (and not dumb at all). Clear shell helmets are football helmets that have the paint, stripes and logos applied to the helmet beneath a clear outer shell, so that the logos and stripes stay intact and do not have to be replaced. Only a few helmet manufacturers made them in the 70's and 80's (Maxpro and Kelly brands, I believe), and they are very rare and very desirable to many football helmet collectors. Here are two links that you can read that gives great background on clear shell helmets. The first link is from the incredible Helmet Hut website that features an amazing Cincinnati Bengals Maxpro clear shell helmet and a great history of clear shell helmets:

http://www.helmethut.com/Bengals/Simmons.html

This next link is a story on Uniwatch featuring my friend and Seahawks helmet collector, Mike Princip, and his amazing creation of a Seahawks Kelly clear shell (which is also featured on Mike's www.greenglare.com website):

http://www.uni-watch.com/2008/04/07/...gton-monument/
    Curious, are these helmets faked very often? Is it hard to replicate this style/design? Or if you see one on the market are you pretty safe?
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

To follow-up on Vikingshelmetguy's fine post, MacGregor was another major manufacturer of clear-shell helmets during that era. Also, while the intent was to put the decals and stripes under the clear shell, this was not always done (see photos in my post #7 in this thread).

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.