Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: ebay seller TheSofaSurfer + a Billy Butler issued + fake provenance

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    CampWest,
    I wanted to appologize for the suggestion that you used anything deceptive in your sell of the jersey.
    I have thought about it a lot and you are right to have been upset with me.
    I understand game/issued is the same thing. Game jersey is not game used jersey.
    I hope you can forgive my ignorance and my rudeness.
    that is a classy post +1
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

I will give that a big +2! it's not often on this testosterone driven forum that you see someone have the dignity to admit when they were wrong or overeacted. I think that took a lot to admit and I applaud you for it! There is hope after all for this place!! Lol
    Todd Ricks
    www.freewebs.com/canseco44
    Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Thanks Freddie. I appreciate it, very nice of you to follow up. I was never really upset with you, I did go through a couple reactions as I was digesting your message. It did cause me to think very carefully about what I was saying and how I was/would describe items and I see that there is always room to minimize confusion. And that there was more I could do to educate myself on jerseys as I thought my lack of experience may have led to confusion. I always welcome being challenged, its a healthy exercise and helps us grow. Thanks again for the follow up, this forum is a great place to share and monitor the hobby and the more open and honest people like you that are on the board, the better it will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Banned

I appreciate the sentiments guys, thank you.

Over on a retail jersey collectors' forum "the sofasurfer" is famous for buying up vintage blank jerseys and having them attributed as classic players and selling them as vintage originals. The only problem is that a lot of the time either he or his customizer don't bother to do their homework and his jerseys end up looking hideous. But does that stop him from pricing them like they were game worn? Not at all.
    Case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Compare his number fonts to these:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/83...y-Images-Sport

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/83...y-Images-Sport

Those numbers would've been extremely easy to reproduce properly. It's a basic NFL font found on the majority of NFL jerseys. Not to mention the lettering font is also wrong and he didn't even bother with a nameplate.

This guy's clearly a genius.

Re: Pathological Liar TheSofaSurfer

I wouldn't believe anything this guy says. I used to sell MLB and NFL jersey blanks on eBay years ago, and this guy bought a couple off me and didn't pay the required sales tax. I told him I'd ship the jerseys when I got payment for the tax or a valid resale certificate.

This was around 9/11. I kept getting "the check is in the mail" story (remember life before PayPal?). He told me to back off..he had a relative wounded in the 9/11 attacks and berated me for having the audacity to collect sales tax. When I pointed out to him that while I wished his relative a very speedy recovery, he must not have been too distraught because he spent a lot of time on eBay on 9/11 doing feedbacks, listing items for sale etc. This sent him over the edge, and he threatened to have me audited from his (probably nonexistent) relative at the IRS. I told him to bring it on, because I follow the rules. I don't care for this guy or the way he conducts business.

At minimum, he is now onto his third story regarding this jersey.... At least through several people calling his story out he has somewhet gotten closer to the truth. On this one item anyways.

"Obtained from person that believed it was donated to Royals chartiy auction after Butler possibly used it because it showed minor use like where the jersey has been tucked into pants a lot. "

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    Apparently thesofasurfer was called out on the jersey not coming from Billy Butler's neighbor, so he has changed his story on where it came from. For the record, the seller he obtained it from did not believe it to be game used as was evident in that other sellers listing.

+++
    You are looking at a rare 2010 Kansas City Royals home authentic player-issued jersey of DH, Billy Butler # 16. Jersey shows some use, has no tagging in the neck, everything is sewn-on, is made by Majestic Authentic, has player-issued wash tag, is made of the popular, "cool base" material and is a size 50. Jersey is also signed by Billy. Obtained from person that believed it to be game-used as you can see where the jersey has been tucked into pants a lot. I will provide the name of seller. Comes with Letter of Opinion as well! Shipping via Priority Mail with online tracking and delivery confirmation is $10. Thanks for looking and check out my other rare authentics in my eBay Store, if you get the chance....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Because I wear a size 46 jersey, I LOVE team-issued blanks! I have my name and number put on them and wander around like a complete geek at Orioles games.
    That being said, I do wish the teams would in some way alter the tags on 'em so guys like this one would have a harder time riding the bobotron.

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    "the sofasurfer" is famous for buying up vintage blank jerseys and having them attributed as classic players and selling them as vintage originals. The only problem is that a lot of the time either he or his customizer don't bother to do their homework and his jerseys end up looking hideous
    I was thinking the same thing...

Check out his "1986 Darryl Strawberry jersey"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Strawberry-New-Y...item4cf6b2c598

First, let me point out that the Mets did not wear this style at all in 1986. Here's a link to a card showing Strawberry in 1986; notice the completely different road jersey --

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Fleer-Slugg...item3cb9764da9

When they actually did wear this style jersey (1988-1990)... Notice the fact that there were not front numbers on the jersey --

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/25...y-Images-Sport

Altogether a complete abomination. And for only $265.00.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

"Obtained from person that believed it to be game-used as you can see where the jersey has been tucked into pants a lot. I will provide the name of seller."

Wow!