Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steiner issues again !!!!!!!!

In a thread a while back regarding Steiner Sports, I expressed my feelings on how I felt Steiner Sports has really no idea of the origin of use on the majority of it's items (bats clearly taped on barrel for BP sold as game used etc.) Still if it does not have Steiners seal of approval, most collectors won't even touch the item....sad !! The recent closed thread on A-Rod sizes clearly is another indicator that Steiner is no different than anyone else in my opinion on obtaining game used items. The fact that the jersey in question is not a Yankees item, and Meigray claims Steiner has never purchased A-Rod gamers from them, makes Steiners seal on this item no different than any other seal of approval, yet I am amazed how collector's are still wanting Steiner on this item....just my opinion.

George

Banned

Re: Steiner issues again !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JETEFAN View Post
    In a thread a while back regarding Steiner Sports, I expressed my feelings on how I felt Steiner Sports has really no idea of the origin of use on the majority of it's items (bats clearly taped on barrel for BP sold as game used etc.) Still if it does not have Steiners seal of approval, most collectors won't even touch the item....sad !! The recent closed thread on A-Rod sizes clearly is another indicator that Steiner is no different than anyone else in my opinion on obtaining game used items. The fact that the jersey in question is not a Yankees item, and Meigray claims Steiner has never purchased A-Rod gamers from them, makes Steiners seal on this item no different than any other seal of approval, yet I am amazed how collector's are still wanting Steiner on this item....just my opinion.

George
    George, can you post a link to the discussion about the A-Rod and Meigray jersey that Steiner had?

Joel,

Here is the link:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=3642

George,

I understand and share your valid concern. Maybe some honest and authentic Steiner representatives can chime in here.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

So this post is based on Jason once stating he had a jersey to Reid and then retracting the statement when questioned about it?

Where is the real issue that this thread is asking about?

Joel,

My dissapointment with Steiner is the total lack of knowledge about the who, what, where and when of their game used items. They have little to no information when you call and ask about a game used item. Their trade mark response is that it came from the Yankees. That's great, but don't label something "game used" when you do not know this for a fact. Game used is one thing and cage or BP use is something else. Clearly a barrel tapped bat is for BP or cage use. Even when asked if these bats were used in games and later in BP, you get the tipical "it came from the Yankees" that is the only info we have response. This to me, is not acceptable cosidering the outrageous prices they demand for their items. I would think the Steiner rep. who labels this stuff "Game used" should have at the very least a notion of product info. Does anyone know if George identified and marked each item before he hoarded them away for years? Was it left up to Steiner to rummage through a banged up bat and "assume" it was a gamer and not BP? Can someone from Steiner fill us in?
    George

Personally, I've never had a problem w/Steiner..While I agree prices are high & would welcome additional info ref items purchased, I think you are asking a bit much if you expect them to know if a bat was used in a game, then taped for BP use..You are talking about literally thousands of items over several years..If you are concerned at all about the legitamacy of an item, err on the side of caution & purchase something else..If you are purchasing for yourself, why would it matter either way?..I can see if you were purchasing to make a profit or investment why it would be a concern. While most teams do a good job of labeling equipment this day & age, remember this wasn't the case years ago..Sometimes I think the newer generation of collectors think labeling & authenticity has been going on forever, believe me it has not, & how many times on this board has someone said "LOA's aren't worth the paper they are printed on."..Bottom line-do your homework, don't be afraid to do some legwork as well & ask for assistance from other collectors, that's a great part of this forum. Just a sidenote, I attended the Reds Riverfront Stadium sale/auction a few years back. They had barrels full of bats that came from the bowels of the stadium. They grabbed a handful at a time, sold them as game used..No one called them on the carpet, questioned whether each was BP, gamer, store model, etc. None came w/ a letter from Dick Wagner or Marge Schott stating they were game used..You had to inspect the bats, gather info, make a decision on the purchase. Every bat sold. Jay

Jay,

When you charge what Steiner does, and you make the claims they do with regards to Yankees items, the homework should be handed to you on a silver platter, and should be straight A's !!!!!!!!

George

Banned

George, we have discussed this since day one.

Steiner often doesn't know what jersey goes to what player or year.

The David Wells World Series jersey is a great example.

I always say, if you don't like what they offer, go to Mr. Steinbrenner yourself with a better deal and do it yourself.

The Melido Perez jersey was another example, just Steiner labeling what they feel an item is to the best they can. You and I have a better system, but we are not in contract with The Yankees.

Just a quick look at the theads on this forum alone should tell you that "Straight A's" is an impossible concept..Over the past few months look at the number of questionable items presented by auction houses & listed for sale by dealers that have been brought up..And we haven't hit on them all..Like the rest, Steiner does its best, but mistakes will be made. I'd feel differently if they were blatently trying to deceive collectors, but that's not the case. Jay

We do a lot of business with Yankees Steiner and was invited to their New Rochelle main office. We took advantage of this a month ago. The office was clean and organized with amazing memorabilia hanging on every wall.

Then you go from the office atmosphere to their warehouse which you have to pass through a security door where you need a keycard. In the warehouse area is the framing center, shipping receiving, photo shop, and what they call the Yankee cage.

The cage had shelving floor to ceiling and filled with bases, balls and tubes filled with bats. Everything was marked clearly. They had racks with jackets and jerseys too and then a smaller area in the cage for Mets items. I wish my warehouse looked this good!

Sean M. and his staff seem to run things well in my opinion given all the inventory they handle. The day I got there they had received 100's of game used bats that they were inventorying.

The problems we have had with Steiner were not getting COAs and an occassional disagreement on an invoice, but we haven't had any disputes on item authenticity.

My suggestion to anyone having a problem is to maybe request a new sales rep as it isn't acceptable to get the "It came from the Yankees".