Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    Gregory Polanco Game Used helmet also from opening weekend last year:
    Attachment 89550
    Attachment 89551
    Polanco wearing it here:
    Attachment 89552

Great looking batting helmet. Players go thru a bunch of bats and game used jerseys in a year but the number of batting helmets in a season is limited and that's why they're one of my favorite items to pick up....Nice job!!!

Jakbauskas Jaramillo Pirate bats

Name:  CHRIS JAKUBAUSKAS JASON JARAMILLO barrel block letter signatures bats Pirates 2010 game used Lou.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  90.0 KB

All you Pirate and baseball fans out there need to Google "Jakbauskas Pirates" and select videos. Youll see a horrific play against the Houston Astros in this pitchers one and only start for the Bucs. Jamarillio is important as well as he was the catcher during the play. You probably need to rerun it in slow motion to see what really went on. If Jamarillo was only an inch taller. The unbelievable part of this story is very next time out he was pitching for the Oriorles it happened to him again. Watch both videos and you ll know what defines a hard luck pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by jojac View Post
    Great looking batting helmet. Players go thru a bunch of bats and game used jerseys in a year but the number of batting helmets in a season is limited and that's why they're one of my favorite items to pick up....Nice job!!!
    Thanks for the compliments, jojac!

I agree, I have a full size curio filled with batting helmets. Half game worn, half retail signed. I think visually helmets display the nicest as well. As far as even return on investment, I have always got more out of worn helmets that jerseys, bats, caps or cleats.

I also feel matching a helmet is so much easier as they have more use as you stated and thus, more distinctive markings as well.

I will say my only beef with MLB used helmets is some of the 3M decals start to peel, which has actually made me sell off some lids I would of normally kept.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    Thanks for the compliments, jojac!

I agree, I have a full size curio filled with batting helmets. Half game worn, half retail signed. I think visually helmets display the nicest as well. As far as even return on investment, I have always got more out of worn helmets that jerseys, bats, caps or cleats.

I also feel matching a helmet is so much easier as they have more use as you stated and thus, more distinctive markings as well.

I will say my only beef with MLB used helmets is some of the 3M decals start to peel, which has actually made me sell off some lids I would of normally kept.

The decal issue can be a bit of a problem but for the most part that hasn't been to much of an issue for me. I thought part of the peeling issue may be due to the heavy wear and use on the helmet.
    I also found they are by far the easiest item to photo match because of the distinctive markings as you stated.
    The other thing that was nice about helmets is that they seemed to be reasonably priced compared to bats and jerseys. From what I'm seeing that's changed the past few years and the helmets took a jump in price for some of the recent players I've collected.

Quote Originally Posted by jojac View Post
    The decal issue can be a bit of a problem but for the most part that hasn't been to much of an issue for me. I thought part of the peeling issue may be due to the heavy wear and use on the helmet.
    I also found they are by far the easiest item to photo match because of the distinctive markings as you stated.
    The other thing that was nice about helmets is that they seemed to be reasonably priced compared to bats and jerseys. From what I'm seeing that's changed the past few years and the helmets took a jump in price for some of the recent players I've collected.
    I will say I at one time had my full curio with all game used helmets and even another corner curio filled with them. Maybe it was the climate where I used to live, but I had numerous helmets that were fine upon purchase start to have decals (numbers on the back, MLB logo, or even the front team decal) peel. Vinyl ones like the Pirates and Tigers use were less of a problem and seem to hold up well.

However the A's are a great example (my other favorite team) and I sold all but one used helmet off because all the 3M "A's" started to peel badly. The one I kept is so used and pine tarred up that the logo is almost encased like a mosquito from Jurassic Park haha.

I also have an Orioles tri color one (from former Pirates Pedro Alvarez) that I repurposed to get Cal Ripken signed on. The Oriole bird was coming off so bad I had to use Gorilla Glue to keep it on there. It has also happened with Twins retails helmets, the 3M logos they use on those are the worst! I have had to either out right replace the retail "TC" logo with a thinner older version or again, use Gorilla Glue on them.

Obviously for an unaltered game worn helmet I won't do that so my solution has been to sale them off when they got to that point. I sold lots of helmets from players I kind of wanted to keep based off those issues (Nelson Cruz, Adrian Beltre, Khris Davis, Brandon Moss, Josh Donaldson) to name a few.

As for your last point, I agree at one time used helmets were a steal price wise. You can still get lucky and get some great deals, even on decent players. But I have also got into bidding wars and lost a couple Pirates used helmets the last couple years that IMO 5 years ago I would of got cheap and easily before.

Been awhile, added a couple more Pirates items, also saw a great game at PNC from the Hyundai Club before the All Star break and the seasonal Hurdle led collapse.

All Star Josh Bell GU Rookie Memorial Day jersey. Even though washed, still some nicely embedded dirt stains on here!
    Name:  IMG_5931.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  98.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5933.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  Bell GU Memorial Day jersey game 5.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  93.2 KB

Josh Bell Double vs AZ, Greinke pitching:
    Name:  img-2659428-f.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  94.0 KB

One of my favorites, who of course the braintrust gave away for a player to be named later SMH. Corey Dickerson 4th of July GU jersey. I got this at the Kiosk at PNC for a great price!
    Name:  IMG_5895.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  93.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_5896.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  96.1 KB
    Name:  gettyimages-1001781286-2048x2048.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  87.8 KB

These were some prize items for me! I am also getting him to sign these in person at a show outside of Philly next month, so really thrilled with getting them. 2013 NL MVP Andrew McCutchen GU camo jersey from 2017!
    Name:  McC GU camo jersey 1.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  103.2 KB
    Name:  McC GU camo jersey 3.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  98.6 KB

Though not with the Pirates, McCutchen Game Used bat while in SF with unquestionable photo matches!
    Name:  Cutch GU bat photomatch.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  93.7 KB
    Name:  Cutch GU bat match 2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  95.3 KB

Lastly, a couple photos from the game my wife and I went to while visiting my family back home. It was the game Josh Bell got his All Star jersey and he also hit a 3 run HR in the bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs down 6-2. Jung Ho Kang came after and hit back to back HRs to tie it at 6-6. Most thrilling comeback I have ever seen in person.
    Name:  IMG_5799.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  88.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_5801.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  82.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_5820.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  95.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_5891.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  86.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_5866.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  99.2 KB

Picked up a RARE 2012 PIRATAS jersey today, which is the grey road jersey with the Pirates (in Spanish) instead of the traditional Pittsburgh font. This was worn by Pedro Alvarez, who had a metric climb and equally metric fall within a 4 year span once he developed the yips as a fielder. This jersey is from a 30 HR, 85 RBI season. They only wore these once in 2010 and again in 2012 for this game, so nice to add this. Plus I always liked Pedro.

Name:  Pedro Bucs Spanish away jersey.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  100.3 KB
    Name:  Pedro 3.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  97.0 KB
    Though not El Toro, one of the few photos I could find from this game, a screenshot of Cutch wearing one.
    Name:  Screen-Shot-2012-06-02-at-19h16.29-1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  24.1 KB