Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Reality tv helped or hurt the hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    I will say, having discussed these shows with friends, the guys on Pawn Stars catch the most scorn. I think they are generally pretty up front with collectors on their assessment and generally tell them that they are willing to pay somewhere close to 50% of retail. Depending on the industry, a 50% mark-up is pretty standard.
    This surprises me a bit. My husband and I watch that show all the time and think that many of the people who bring stuff into the store are expecting WAY too much for their items. And some of them clearly are doing it just to get on tv, not to maximize the value of their goods.

In fact, we yell at the tv a little more than we probably should. It's a pawn shop, not an auction house. If you think Rick is undervaluing your item, consign it somewhere and see how much you get.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
    If you think Rick is undervaluing your item, consign it somewhere and see how much you get.
    Exactly. That is why it always surprised me that my friends found them to be less than upstanding.

Just remember there is not too much reality in these reality TV shows. I always find it funny just how everything ends up being a great deal and all happy endings.

For every good deal, I am sure there are 10 times as many that hit the cutting room floor.

Just my 2 cents....

I think Pawn Stars does more to hurt than help our hobby. Now keep in mind I've not watched it a lot, I don't really care for the show or the people on it.

The episode where someone brings in a Lou Gehrig signed jersey was a classic case of doing damage to our hobby. First, the autograph on the jersey was a fake, it looked a lot like his wife signed his autograph. And second, every COA they touted that went with the jersey was a bunch of CRAP! I may be off here, but I seem to remember a STAT coa and an AAU coa. Stat puts out nothing but fake items. They even said they would buy it because of the "solid" paperwork...UGH!

Now if some newbie saw this episode, saw the STAT coa and went out and purchased ANY item with a STAT coa, they are going to be severely disappointed when/if they sell it. And that is going to turn them off to our hobby.

Now I've read stories they use fillers, or clips of items that are not actually purchased by the store. If this was a filler, the LEAST they could do is their homework and bring in something that has a coa that carries a lot more weight.

Same goes with Storage Wars. A recent episode had one guy finding a large box of sport cards. He was saying how this was a "$100 card" and this was a $50 autograph.....only most of what he was showing were $5-10 cards. This gives people the impression that most of the stuff out there is worth a fortune. If he has a buyer at those prices, I have a bunch of cards I will sell at HALF those prices.

It's nice seeing items we don't normally see be brought out into the light, but they are doing the public a disservice by giving them unrealistic prices and portraying bogus coa's as legit companies and opinions.

In case you can't tell, my vote is bad for the hobby.

I'm not going to lie..I love Pawn Stars..I just take the prices with a grain
    of salt since the show does have to be entertaining..

My favorite is...

Rick's "expert" : This would go for about $4000-$5000 on auction.

Rick: (to seller) Ok so how much do you want for it.

Seller: Well he said $4000-$5000 so how about $3500?

Rick: Well $4-$5K is best case and then you have to factor in auction fees,
    etc..I can do $500..I have to display it, it takes up a lot of room, it will
    sit here for months

Seller: Ooooh.. how about $3200?

(after some back and forth)

Rick: Ok I will do $2400..that's the most I will go..

Rick and seller agrees to deal..

The low ball offers Rick makes is the most entertaining part of the show!!

Goh Nishiyama

Anyone know what a seller gets paid for appearing on Biggest Loser...I mean Pawn Stars?

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Anyone know what a seller gets paid for appearing on Biggest Loser...I mean Pawn Stars?
    Those are some big boys. I love the Subway product placement. Once they got those DVD residual checks, they all packed on some LB's.

Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Hardcore Pawn, Storage Wars, Storage Hunters, and Auction Hunters are the best things on TV.

I am in the process of pitching my reality show idea to some network honchos: "Paranormal Hoarders". Going thru the collection of obsessive collectors and contacting the kindred spirits of past owners of their items.