Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Royals 2012 Fantasy Camp!!!

In January 2012, I will be fulfilling a decade-long promise to myself to attend and participate in a Royals Fantasy Camp. I purchased my spot in the Royals Fantasy Camp through the silent auction at a charity fundraising event (the price I couldn't pass up).

My participation is a bit tenuous due to some old injuries and ailments. As a child I had Perthes Syndrome, which essentially is a loss of blood supply to the hip which resulted in a weak and somewhat under-sized femural head. In high school, I fractured a piece off of my femoral ball and I have been living with pain and arthritis ever since. I have recently been consulting with surgeons on a full hip replacement. After the hip replacement, my doctor is strongly recommending I not play softball or baseball. Therefore I am kind of looking at this as my one chance to fulfill my desire to play in a baseball fantasy camp.

Also, I have what is referred to as a "snapping scapula" in my throwing shoulder. Basically the shoulder blade grinds, pops, snaps and there is significant loss of strength and range of motion to go with the pain and discomfort. I have been to two doctors so far and neither has been able to determine the cause for my snapping scapula. A third doctor is scheduled and hopefully we'll find a good treatment.

So now you know I am a 37yo with the hip and shoulder of a 65 year old. With luck (cortisone injections and pain killers), I hope to be able to hobble and limp my way through a week of baseball and not embarrass myself too bad.

Stay tuned. More to follow as I will track my progress in this thread from today through Camp which runs January 30 - February 3.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Re: Royals 2012 Fantasy Camp!!!

Good luck! I have always wanted to do one of those with the Pirates, or Steelers. I used to play sports up until my junior year in college, then "retired" from competitive scholastic sports. Though I continued going to the gym and lifting & swimming, age sucks!

I am now at the end of my 30s, much like yourself, and found out after joining a summer baseball league and a company softball league that being strong and fit does not account for: A) Older reflexes B) Trying to compete with guys who could be your kids C) PAIN.

It's not so bad now as the season/s progress, but before that I got skinned/blistered hands from hitting, a ball off the infield that bruised my calf and a bruised thumb and knee. All within the first month !

Like Indiana Jones said, "It's not the years, it's the miles".

First order of business is going to be deciding on a couple bats.

I am disappointed to see a lack of customization options from Louisville Slugger. I do not see a way to order a personalized and customized pro-stock bat. The personalized bats in the gift shop would not be suitable for what I want to take to fantasy camp.

Therefore, I am leaning towards Phoenix bats. Their bats are used by one of my favorite players can order specific models and sizes and they offer two lines of free engraving along with several finish options. And they offer both Ash and Maple at far better prices than the others I've looked at.

Leaning towards the W241, 33" 31oz, probably one ash and one maple. The maple will be royal blue handle and an unfinished barrel. Ash probably flame barrel and clear-finish handle. Custom engraving "Wes Campbell {} 2012 KANSAS CITY ROYALS FANTASY CAMP".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

If you need/want Hoosier bat company info let me know and I will forward it onto you. The bat orders take about 2 weeks to fulfill and bats are available in 3 different types of wood (I think). For an additional $1 or 2 you can get a name laser engraved on the bats.

wade

Banned

Congrats to you! And I hope that your health improves in the future.

Congrats Wes on the fantasy camp.

awesome, man...and dont feel bad. im 31 and my body is so screwed up, i couldnt even attempt to try one of these anymore. if i fall into money, maybe ill show up and be a 1st base coach or something

does brett show up for these? if so, that would be worth the price for me. he was my elvis growing up

Best of luck to you Wes!

I couldn't wait to turn 30 (the required minimum age) to attend Red Sox Fantasy Camp. Just never got there. Now 51 and can't wait till I'm 60 so I can attend, without so many damned distractions in life lol.

You're a great guy. How's about I send you a complimentary fresh game issued Jim bat to take along in your bat bag. Just lemme know!

Joe

Wes do me a favor. When Kansas City sends its scouts to this camp and signs you as their new utility infielder, make sure they spell all your ailments correctly. Nothing annoys me more than seeing Perthes Syndrome spelled wrong on the 15 day DL.....

Stretch as much as you can from now until then, keep the cortizone close by and breath deep when the experience becomes painful. Weeks later, all you will remember was how sweet the feeling of being a Kansas City Royal felt.

My father had a great comment for things like this. Rather than overstate or put pressure on me when great things happened, he simply whispered in my ear:

Enjoy this.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Enjoy every minute...for sure!! I was lucky & went to the tigers camp in 1995...in my young 30's. It is still one of the best weeks I ever had!! Its your camp...your fantasy...play as much or as little as you wish. Do go there in some type of shape, as many people showed up & went all out & blew out there hammys from being inactive all winter & out of shape. The guys in there 60's has as much fun as guys in there 30's. Pick out your batting gloves, wristbands..everything!! I even bought my own tiger helmet to wear so I could bring home that memory too!! You will have a GREAT time!!!
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net