Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1967 Phillies Don Lock

I posted this in the "May Pickups" as it's my first vintage piece, but figured posting here may help me get more insight. Below is a 1967 Phillies jersey for Don Lock (#23). He played with them from middle of 67 to beginning of 69 (hence 100th Anniversary patch to my understanding).

However, that is as best as I know. Would love any/all opinions. Is this authentic, is it a sales-man copy, is it a minors jersey, or is it a generic type (and I got duped on).

Thanks in advance for any insight guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

Re: 1967 Phillies Don Lock

Quote Originally Posted by cliffjmp33 View Post
    I posted this in the "May Pickups" as it's my first vintage piece, but figured posting here may help me get more insight. Below is a 1967 Phillies jersey for Don Lock (#23). He played with them from middle of 67 to beginning of 69 (hence 100th Anniversary patch to my understanding).

However, that is as best as I know. Would love any/all opinions. Is this authentic, is it a sales-man copy, is it a minors jersey, or is it a generic type (and I got duped on).

Thanks in advance for any insight guys.
    Looks good. Not at all a salesman samp. May have been recycled to the minors. Did you find this on the second-hand market? I ask this because you seem surprised to have discovered this.

Sweet jersey with those chain-stitched letters and numbers.

Jersey is good and 100-year patch a major bonus. Jersey was sent to minors and then restored to "Phillies". Apparently, virtually all home jerseys went down to minors. Wish I could find someone who can do this kind of restoration work. Lon Lewis said that he can't do it. It may be impossible these days.

Lock was a decent centerfielder with some power. Struck out quite a bit.

Banned

Looks like a winner to me.

Dave Miedema

Thanks for the input guys, I can't tell you how much I truly appreciate it! As I said before, I am a novice as far as "vintage" stuff goes, so I'm happy to hear this is the real deal.

BTPH - I actually ended up getting it via Craig's List. The seller was very pleasant to deal with, sent me a ton of photos and talked to him on the phone and through e-mail for probably a month before things finally panned out.

And not fully surprised, just cautious. I didn't invest very much into the jersey (in case it wasn't authentic I didn't want to be duped out of a lot of money), but did my homework and am happy and shocked in the end.

I know members say it all the time, but doing your homework, educating yourself with the archives here and getting lucky (I have to be a little lucky right?) really paid off!

And truly thank you guys! (Now to put it on eBay for $5,000!!! JUST KIDDING!)
    Cheers,
    Jack

[quote=cliffjmp33;250191]Thanks for the input guys, I can't tell you how much I truly appreciate it! As I said before, I am a novice as far as "vintage" stuff goes, so I'm happy to hear this is the real deal.

BTPH - I actually ended up getting it via Craig's List. The seller was very pleasant to deal with, sent me a ton of photos and talked to him on the phone and through e-mail for probably a month before things finally panned out.

And not fully surprised, just cautious. I didn't invest very much into the jersey (in case it wasn't authentic I didn't want to be duped out of a lot of money), but did my homework and am happy and shocked in the end.

I know members say it all the time, but doing your homework, educating yourself with the archives here and getting lucky (I have to be a little lucky right?) really paid off!

And truly thank you guys! (Now to put it on eBay for $5,000!!! JUST

Can't tell if the 100th patch is a repica or not. If it is, then it was handed down to some Phillies farm club. All teans, includuing the minor leagues wore those patches in '69. chain sticthed #'s and front lettering. The one who would really know Is Howardc Wolf, the guru with the Phillies jerseys. Unfortunately, one of the flake founders of this site banned him for remarks made off of the forum through emails.

[quote=cliffjmp33;250191]Thanks for the input guys, I can't tell you how much I truly appreciate it! As I said before, I am a novice as far as "vintage" stuff goes, so I'm happy to hear this is the real deal.

And truly thank you guys! (Now to put it on eBay for $5,000!!! JUST

Can't tell if the 100th patch is a replica or not. If it is, then it was handed down to some Phillies farm club. All teams, including the minor leagues wore those patches in '69. chain stitched #'s and front lettering is correct. The one who would really know Is Howardc Wolf, the guru with the Phillies jerseys. Unfortunately, one of the flake founders of this site banned him for remarks made off of the forum through emails.

Can't we urge forum powers to unban Howard. As a Phillies fan, he woud be invaluable to me and the site. Bought a number of jerseys from Howard back in the day. Wish I had bought more. Howard was a huge Von Hayes contrary to most Phillies fans who thought Von was a disappointment given the 5-1 trade involving Julio Franco.

Marichal27, thank you for the thoughts and insight. I wish i knew with 100% certainty about the patch, but sadly I don't. I, like DeacDoug, would love to have Howard's expertise on this piece, but I don't know what transpired and don't want to turn this thread into something it shouldn't be.

Thanks again to everyone who has commented!
    Cheers,
    Jack