Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tampa Bay Bucs Collectors -- Prepare for Heart Attack

We know how tough it is to find early Buccaneers jerseys. Where are they? Well, in a Sports Collectors Digest from early 1981, Hartel Sports ran an ad where they were selling well over 100 jerseys from the Bucs' first five seasons. Someone somewhere bought quarterback Steve Spurrier's inaugural 1976 orange jersey for under $60! Early LeRoy Selmon and Ricky Bell jerseys were the most expensive, at $200 each.

You have to wonder if one person with some cash made a deal and purchased ALL of these (or most of these). Oh, to go back in time...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: Tampa Bay Bucs Collectors -- Prepare for Heart Attack

Not many on this Forum remember the senior member of Hartel Sports, Mr. Floyd Hartel who was one of the early pioneers of this great hobby and a fine gentleman to deal with. His greatest legacy, his son Bruce, carried on his father's tradition of being fair and honest to deal with. Both men of great integrity. Now that Mike has taken over most of the inventory one would think that he is a "missing" Hartel son as he is equally fair and great to deal with. If you have a chance to deal with anyone in this hobby, you may want to consider Hartel Sports as a great resource and fair dealer in my opinion.
    I have a few of these Tampa Bays, Ricky Bell, Mike Boryla and Terry Hanratty and they are among the favorite things I have in my collection.

Larry Pelliccioni

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Pelliccioni View Post
    Not many on this Forum remember the senior member of Hartel Sports, Mr. Floyd Hartel who was one of the early pioneers of this great hobby and a fine gentleman to deal with. His greatest legacy, his son Bruce, carried on his father's tradition of being fair and honest to deal with. Both men of great integrity. Now that Mike has taken over most of the inventory one would think that he is a "missing" Hartel son as he is equally fair and great to deal with. If you have a chance to deal with anyone in this hobby, you may want to consider Hartel Sports as a great resource and fair dealer in my opinion.
    I have a few of these Tampa Bays, Ricky Bell, Mike Boryla and Terry Hanratty and they are among the favorite things I have in my collection.

Larry Pelliccioni
    Congrats Larry, I would love to see photos of those shirts. The Boryla would be from the inaugural year of 1976, while the Hanratty would be from 1978. The Bell must be incredible, too. I'm not a Tampa fan, but I can appreciate how incredible these jerseys are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

the prices you quote are preinflation. in todays money its alot more. 200 bucks was alot back then.

Thanks so much for sharing that. As soon as that time machine is available......

Larry has an amazing early Ricky Bell that I hope he leaves me in his will.

Meantime, here's a 1981 Bell I'm proud to own. This was his last season with the Bucs.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    the prices you quote are preinflation. in todays money its alot more. 200 bucks was alot back then.
    Pre-inflation? The inflation rate in January of 1981, based on the Consumer Price Index, was 11.83%, one of the highest inflationary rates in our nation's history.

But I do agree that $200 was quite a bit for a jersey 30 years ago. I'll gladly take the Spurrier for $60.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

$200 bucks in 1981 is roughly equivalent to $486.93 today. Oh and those jerseys are awesome!!
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Banned

Love looking at the old ads in SCD and other sports magazines. The prices just make me drool.

Let me chime in on Hartels.
    Both were always answering the phone, knew their stuff and indeed were fair.
    Always had great Cardinal jersies.
    And while we are remembering, Dick Dobbins of SF Giants Memorabilia, was a great teacher of the hobby and always had fair deals and always had time to talk on the phone- long distance from East coast!
    Russ Barmmer

I will get some pics out and amend my will but I would like to add kudos for the late Mr. Dick Dobbins as well.
    And also to the nicest man I have ever met in this hobby, Mr. Murf (we used to call him Allen Denny) of Brule Wisconsin.
    For my generation, he was undoubtedly the standard by which all others were judged, he and wife Pat were and are a total class act. If ever their was a collector/dealer hall of fame, I would consider him to be the cornerstone of it.
    The Hanratty is also from 1976, road white in which he played his only game, a loss to his former team the Pittsburgh Steelers. I also have his helmet.
    My favorite item in a collection that totals more than 2000 items is a Tampa Bay Buccaneer helmet of Hugh Green.
    I very rarely have overpaid for items that I have in my collection. Others may not see the same value in it but that doesn't affect the way that I feel about it.
    We went about collecting these things a lot differently back then.
    As a sidelight, the person who sold these jerseys I believe spent time in jail for selling them.
    Larry Pelliccioni