Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Brandon Jacobs helmet goes into the stands

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    Although, you'd think throwing something at a fan (intentional or not) would automatically have you on the bench the rest of the game via some kind of NFL rule, not just the coaches opinion.
    Thats a slippery slope. For example say player scores a TD in a home game he is celebrating and flings the ball in the air it lands in the stands. Should he be ejected for that? Let's say its a playoff game and the receiver is Randy Moss or Andre Johnson (i.e. a guy who his team would be at a competive disadvantage without).

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Each player only has one helmet. They couldn't let the guy keep it. Even if Jacobs was benched what if he had to go back in the game at some point? He can't play helmetless.
    Sounds like a personal problem!

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Thats a slippery slope. For example say player scores a TD in a home game he is celebrating and flings the ball in the air it lands in the stands. Should he be ejected for that? Let's say its a playoff game and the receiver is Randy Moss or Andre Johnson (i.e. a guy who his team would be at a competive disadvantage without).
    I agree. However, it was outside of the on field activities/plays and could've really hurt a fan. The crowd is focused on the field not on what stupid things players are doing on the sidelines. If it's during play then fair game, but in the exact instance like this (of complete player ignorance) then I think there should be some kind of recourse.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Banned

Cool Re: Brandon Jacobs helmet goes into the stands

Giving the helmet back stinks, but, unfortunately, is necessary, as a previous poster mentioned. The guy got a game ball (also indicated by a previous poster), so it isn't like he went home emptyhanded. And, with a story like he has to tell, the memory plus the ball...he could've done a lot worse.

Dave Miedema

I guess I'm not in the school that once something goes into the stands its fair play and its a fans to own.

Besides that, the NFL puts up nets for extra points and field goals, its not like the NFL has a habit of giving away stuff.

Wouldn't a reasonable solution be to give him the helmet AFTER the game? So he could play with it and then when the game is over give the helmet to the fan, and Jacobs could get a new helmet for the following week.

I'm guessing a football player breaks in a helmet for a season to fit his head just right. Its the most important piece of safety equipment a player has in his job, I still can't see why he is expected to give it away. I don't think that was his intention when he threw it in the crowd. If I leave my keys or cell phone behind, I don't think I would be out of line to expect them back and not leave them as a souvenir for someone.

I think I'm in the minority here though.

I bet it would be the same if a baseball player "accidentally" threw his fielding glove into the stands. He would be dead set on getting that back no matter what! It isn't like a ball, or even a bat where you just grab another and go on. I'm not saying I agree that the fan should not be allowed to keep the helmet, I'm just saying I can see why it was a bigger deal than a ball or something else that is easily replaced. Of course, maybe he should have considered that before he threw it. What if it had broken?

I just wanted to shed some light into this conversation as some of you don't sound that familiar with football helmets...helmets are pretty generic. Most are filled with air, add a chin strap, a face mask, and the right size ear pads, and you have a helmet that would have been exactly the same as the player would wear in the game. It would probably would have taken an equipment guy 5 to 10 minutes to make him a new one. There is a little hand pump that fills the helmet with air to the correct size when the helmet is on the players head. Equipment managers have all of this on the sidelines in cases and if you ever see them in a bind, there is a good chance the helmet could have been made quicker...these guys are like pit crews in NASCAR...

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    I bet it would be the same if a baseball player "accidentally" threw his fielding glove into the stands. He would be dead set on getting that back no matter what! It isn't like a ball, or even a bat where you just grab another and go on. I'm not saying I agree that the fan should not be allowed to keep the helmet, I'm just saying I can see why it was a bigger deal than a ball or something else that is easily replaced. Of course, maybe he should have considered that before he threw it. What if it had broken?

this actually happened to me a few years ago. I was sitting in the front row of an A's game and Frank Menechino came off the field and was pissed about a play and threw his glove. It hit the top of the dugout instead of going into the dugout and flew up into my lap. He stood there looking at me waiting for me to give it back. Had it been anyone worthwhile I may have put up a fight but since it was a "nobody" I threw it back to him. He ducked into the dugout and came back out with a bat and handed it up to me and said thanks.