Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Banned

Cool Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Way too early to even discuss this. Though I am guilty of chiming in I admit. There are so many players so close in these categories that if someone misses a few games due to a minor injury or gets cold for a week it could drastically alter the current stat leaders. Plus there are vultures all around. Prince Fielder or Adam Dunn could win the homer title. Infante could win the BA title.
    Don't forget Starlin Castro for the BA crown.

Dave Miedema

Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Don't forget Starlin Castro for the BA crown.

Dave Miedema
    Dave -

Unless Starlin turns it on, he's got a LONG road to take the BA crown. He's at .317 right now - .023 behind Cargo and .002 behind Votto and still even behind Infante (.339).

He an Infante are both in the same boat - looking to be short on PAs unless they play every day for the rest of the season and they will take an 0 for XX for any PAs they are short of 502.

That said, I'm hoping you were being funny...

All the best -

Chris

Dave -

Update to my last post (oh for an EDIT feature!)

Castro 'should' get there. He needs 70 more PAs (2.9 per game IF he plays every game).

Here are the current TPAs (Total Plate Appearances) per player in the running...

Pujols - 594

Votto - 558

Cargo - 542

Castro - 432 (70 shy of qualifying) - he should get there w/ 2.9 PAs per game

Infante - 398 (104 shy of qualifying) - losing ground on getting there. last week was avg 4.9 PAs a game. now 4.3. If he gets 4 PAs a game, he will take an 0 for 8... if he drops to just 3.5 PAs a game he takes an 0 for 20 and if he drops to Castro's needed avg of 3 PAs he takes an 0 for 32.

That said, Castro and Infante are both LONG shots at the Batting Title.

After seeing that Cargo has 52 less PAs than Pujols and 16 less than Votto, I am even more impressed that he is within 1 RBI and 4 HRs going into tonight.

Good luck to all of them!!!

- Chris

Update:

Carlos Gonzalez: 32 HR (T3rd NL), .341 AVG (1st NL), 100 RBI (1st NL)

Joey Votto: 32 HR (T3rd NL), .321 AVG (2nd NL), 98 RBI (2nd NL)

Albert Pujols: 35 HR (1st NL), .310 AVG (5th NL), 97 RBI (3rd NL)

Infante - 398 (104 shy of qualifying) - losing ground on getting there. last week was avg 4.9 PAs a game. now 4.3. If he gets 4 PAs a game, he will take an 0 for 8... if he drops to just 3.5 PAs a game he takes an 0 for 20 and if he drops to Castro's needed avg of 3 PAs he takes an 0 for 32.

- Chris
    Doesn't that mean he is gaining ground not losing ground? Last week he needed 4.9 plate appearances per game, now he only needs 4.3. He has been leading off every game and averaging nearly 5 a game. I no longer think his plate appearances are going to be the issue as much as Cargo's torrid pace.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by skier14 View Post
    Update:

Carlos Gonzalez: 32 HR (T3rd NL), .341 AVG (1st NL), 100 RBI (1st NL)

Joey Votto: 32 HR (T3rd NL), .321 AVG (2nd NL), 98 RBI (2nd NL)

Albert Pujols: 35 HR (1st NL), .310 AVG (5th NL), 97 RBI (3rd NL)
    Cargo will win mvp if he keeps tearing it up and possibly the triple crown??? This kid is a lot of fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by lakeerie92 View Post
    Doesn't that mean he is gaining ground not losing ground? Last week he needed 4.9 plate appearances per game, now he only needs 4.3. He has been leading off every game and averaging nearly 5 a game. I no longer think his plate appearances are going to be the issue as much as Cargo's torrid pace.
    Russell -

Maybe I should have worded that better. Last week, he was averaging 4.9 PAs a game. Now he is only averaging 4.3 PAs a game - meaning his number of PAs is going down.

I wasn't talking about what he needs to average - I was talking about how many PAs he was and is actually getting.

- Chris

That isn't the case though, he has 402 so he is 100 short with 23 games left. That is 4.3 needed per game. If he needed 4.9 per game last week that would mean he is exceeding the pace and should exceed 502 plate appearances. Now that the Braves are falling like a rock in the standings this is all I have to look forward to.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by lakeerie92 View Post
    That isn't the case though, he has 402 so he is 100 short with 23 games left. That is 4.3 needed per game. If he needed 4.9 per game last week that would mean he is exceeding the pace and should exceed 502 plate appearances. Now that the Braves are falling like a rock in the standings this is all I have to look forward to.
    Russell -

That IS (or was before tonight) the case. He had 398 PAs (per MLB's TPA number) before tonight and his PAs per game are 4.3 PAs per game. NOT what he needed, that is how many PAs he IS getting per game.

Last week he was averaging 4.9 PAs per game. Again, NOT what he needed, that is how many PAs he WAS getting per game.

That is a NET LOSS or .6 PAs per game. That means he is slowing down in how many PAs he is making.

If he continues to LOSE .6 PAs per game (x the 23 games that are NOW remaining - my earlier post was BEFORE tonights game was played), that means he will LOSE 13.8 Total Plate Appearances.

If he stays at 4.3 PAs a game, with 23 games remaining, he will gain 98.9 PA's + the 402 you say he has is 500.9. an 0 for 1 shouldn't hurt, but , as I said earlier he has LOST .6 PAs per game avg. If he loses .3 more and drops to 4 PAs he will be 8 PAs short of 502. If he drops .6 again to 3.7, he will be around 15 PAs short and an 0 for 15 tacked on would sink him.

Does that make sense now?

I am NOT talking about how many PAs he NEEDS to avg, I am talking about how many PAs he IS averaging.

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - If Cargo stays on the tear he is on, it will all be a moot point anyway.

I understand what you are saying, but what I am trying to say is that over the last 10 games he has averaged 4.7 PA a game. over the last 7 games 4.71 PA. I don't know where your 4.3 average is coming into play. 4.7 is what he is averaging right now. 4.3 a game is all he needs to get to 502. Currently at 402 he needs 100 more 4.34 x 23= 99.82 so even if you say 4.4 he is still going to hit 502 with roughly 2 games to spare.
    Russell Wuerffel
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com