Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post
    Great point. The Cardinals and Reds really aren't that far apart, so how would it be fair to punish Albert for having the lesser team this year?
    I think more than likely Pujols will get passed on for the MVP because he has won the last two, and it gets boring awarding it to the same person every year. In past years it was hands down his award, but this year there a several close competitors and I think that and using the excuse that his BA is 20 points below his career average will be used as a reason to spread the award around a little.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by lakeerie92 View Post
    I think more than likely Pujols will get passed on for the MVP because he has won the last two, and it gets boring awarding it to the same person every year. In past years it was hands down his award, but this year there a several close competitors and I think that and using the excuse that his BA is 20 points below his career average will be used as a reason to spread the award around a little.
    You bring up one of the most valid points when it comes to Pujols and the MVP. It gets boring awarding it to him or he already has one, lets give it to someone else. It seems like more and more every year they look for reasons not to give it to him, even though year in and year out he has about the best overall numbers.

I think Votto will win this year only cause the Cardinals will miss the playoffs, and Votto and Pujols numbers are so close. If the Cards made the wildcard then I think it would go to Albert.

Not sure I would say the Cardinals are really "close" or have been for awhile, 6.5 games and it has been as high as 8 or so the past few weeks is a decent chunk. Teams do not make up that type of spread unless large meltdowns by one team.

Also not to start something but I wouldn't say Votto is significantly far behind him in walks and some of those statistics. At the same point Votto has played in about 8 or 9 less games then Pujols has and still amassed the stats.

Once again not trying to start a fight, just the Reds fan viewpoint.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Not sure I would say the Cardinals are really "close" or have been for awhile, 6.5 games and it has been as high as 8 or so the past few weeks is a decent chunk. Teams do not make up that type of spread unless large meltdowns by one team.

Also not to start something but I wouldn't say Votto is significantly far behind him in walks and some of those statistics. At the same point Votto has played in about 8 or 9 less games then Pujols has and still amassed the stats.

Once again not trying to start a fight, just the Reds fan viewpoint.
    I think close was just meaning not eliminated with a week to go. While they aren't going to get to post season, the Reds don't have a gigantic lead, but a good one.

While Votto is having a great year, I still believe Pujols is having a better year. If I was a Reds fan, I would probably argue Votto was. I am curious to see what others think on the issue, without worrying about which team is in first.

If we took away team standings, who would everyone vote for based purely on all the stats?
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by sportscrazy13 View Post
    You bring up one of the most valid points when it comes to Pujols and the MVP. It gets boring awarding it to him or he already has one, lets give it to someone else. It seems like more and more every year they look for reasons not to give it to him, even though year in and year out he has about the best overall numbers.

I think Votto will win this year only cause the Cardinals will miss the playoffs, and Votto and Pujols numbers are so close. If the Cards made the wildcard then I think it would go to Albert.
    I have heard others use that exact argument except saying Albert would have the edge because he has won before. In the past writers have given MVP's to the same players (Pujols, Bonds).
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post
    I have heard others use that exact argument except saying Albert would have the edge because he has won before. In the past writers have given MVP's to the same players (Pujols, Bonds).
    You are right that they do occasionally give it to the same player, but only once in the history of baseball has a player won the MVP in three consecutive years, and that was when Bonds won it in 4 consecutive years. In those Bonds years 2001 he hit 73 HR, 2002 he hit .370 with a .582 OBP, 2003 .529 OBP, 2004 .609 OBP. Alberts is a .414 and his numbers are so close to other players that I don't think he warrants being put in that category as the only other player to win 3 consecutive MVPs. Not yet at least
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Banned

Lightbulb Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Of course, if you want to turn the contender argument on its head and also add coinsideration to repeat winners, conside the NL's FIRST repeat winner...Hall of Famer Cubs SS Ernie Banks, who took home the award in 1958 and 1959, with the Cubs finihing uner .500 both times. Aberrations DO happen.

Banned

Talking Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Of course, if you want to turn the contender argument on its head and also add coinsideration to repeat winners, conside the NL's FIRST repeat winner...Hall of Famer Cubs SS Ernie Banks, who took home the award in 1958 and 1959, with the Cubs finihing uner .500 both times. Aberrations DO happen.
    Clarification...Banks was the first NL repeat winner in CONSECUTIVE SEASONS.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeerie92 View Post
    Alberts is a .414 and his numbers are so close to other players that I don't think he warrants being put in that category as the only other player to win 3 consecutive MVPs.
    The difference between Votto's .426 OPS and Pujols' .414 is statistically insignificant. So I guess that disqualifies Votto too. That and the fact that he doesn't lead in a single offensive category of course.

But at least both are well ahead of Gonzalez' OPS of .381. That and his 'Coors effect' splits (.386 average at home, .293 on the road, 26 HR at home, *8* on the road) should preclude him from any serious consideration for MVP.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    The difference between Votto's .426 OPS and Pujols' .414 is statistically insignificant. So I guess that disqualifies Votto too. That and the fact that he doesn't lead in a single offensive category of course.

But at least both are well ahead of Gonzalez' OPS of .381. That and his 'Coors effect' splits (.386 average at home, .293 on the road, 26 HR at home, *8* on the road) should preclude him from any serious consideration for MVP.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    You aren't listening to what I am saying. Bonds' through the roof OBP made it near impossible to give the MVP to anybody else. Those numbers will never be touched again. My argument is that Pujols has no through the roof numbers that make it impossible to give it to somebody else. His numbers are close to everybody else's. My opinion is Pujols isn't going to win it because he has one that past two and he is a boring pick. I was just trying to illustrate why that was my opinion
    Russell Wuerffel
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com