Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Eli and Giants Fake Memorabilia lawsuit

It's been my impression on a few occasions (ie: misleading autograph inscriptions pertaining to use) that Steiner has lower standards than they could/should. I still remember applauding the Chicago Cubs for bringing their GU program internal. I haven't known anything about the NY Giants or Eli Manning's memorabilia practices but it definitely brings up some issues. I have game used bats and ticket stubs that are PSA/DNA authenticated and some jerseys that were PSA/DNA authenticated for NFL Auctions. Can the sticker really be as relevant to a football jersey as a baseball bat? In my opinion, no. One has the most rigorous scientific standard of certainty possible. What's the sticker really mean for an NFL Auctions item though?

I'm not fully confident merely because something came from an NFL team... what if that team or league doesn't have respect for our hobby? Or, rigorously high standards for itself? I believe I've seen enough reason to be doubtful of the Arizona Cardinals and New York Giants. Anyway, teams' standards is exactly the problem this legal case seems to isolate for our hobby. In the case of NFL items up for auction I'd like to know which ones are photo-matched as a supplement to provenance, and which are not. My standards of confidence in the items differ from one to the other.

I collect game used Bengals and Reds items. Please contact me at plettner at fuse dot net if you may have something special or not represented in my collection. For very modern Bengals stuff I may also be as knowledgeable as anyone outside the locker room if you need an opinion. For older Bengals items or Reds items (any era) there are many folks whom are far more knowledgeable than I.

Re: Eli and Giants Fake Memorabilia law suit

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I wonder what members here have any of this stuff? Anyone want to share what Giants gear that have obtained through Steiner?
    I have an eli helmet that I acquired from a friend after he had some thoughts about it because wasn't finding any match..
    As I continued to search and search I was shocked to find out I could NOT find one match at all..
    And now this hits the news and BINGO.. I guess I have one of the Faked helmets that's in question...

eli helmet
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back side

Front side

Steiner coas

I will also say that I do know the person that owns and has the real game used Super Bowl 42 helmet as well as about 25 more helmets from that Super Bowl. , and I will say that I have seen the helmet in person and actually photo matched it as well and it is indeed without any doubt the actual helmet eli wore in the game ..

So I will strongly agree with the facts released that the eli helmet in the hall of fame is definitely not the helmet he wore in the game.
    Again there is no question about it. ....

Now I wonder what my next step will or should be as after reading all this and being sick to my stomach over the amount of money spent and having some faith in the Steiner COA and thinking I would find a match for my eli helmet .. And now NOTHING...

Hall of fame eli vs the eli he owns to the actual game photos.. .

Sorry for large pics I don't know how to make smaller.. But maybe the fact there bigger will help YOUS see the matches ..

And I am one that strongly can care less about a paper COA. Or loa.. I mostly go by photo matching because 95% of the time there's no lying or doubt with a perfect match.. ..
    This all is just unbelievable and they need to figure out who put theses fakes on the market.. And as a die hard giants fan.. I can't believe this would happen .

Hall of fame vs. Game used

Re: Eli and Giants Fake Memorabilia law suit

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    When something like this happens, and if true, how much liability should be placed on the memorabilia company selling to collectors? Like with Steiner, should they be considered innocent because they took Eli's word that the items were game used, or do they have a responsibility to photo match the items before selling them to the public? It's worrying to also hear that when buyers returned some items to Steiner saying the items couldn't be photomatched, that they did not investigate further and instead just sold it again to someone else.
    Plausible deniability.