Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

A tale (of the tape) of Three Yankees

Recently picked up a #31 Yankees BP jersey, with Majestic '98-99 tagging in the tail - size 48. It was recycled in 2000, evidenced by the memorial armband on the left sleeve (Bob Lemon). It may have been used by Dan Naulty in '99, or might have just been a leftover which saw its first use in 2000. The Steiner letter specifies that it's a Lance Johnson jersey.

Lance did wear #31 for the Yanks in 2000 (played April 2 - June 6). However, listed at 5'10" (generous) and 160 pounds (probably also generous), I'd be more inclined to believe that this jersey was used by Ben Ford (6'7"/200 - played June 23 - July 6) or Glenallen Hill (6'2"/210 - Jul 21 - end of season), if not both Ford and Hill.

While it's not impossible that Johnson wore the jersey, based on his size and photos throughout his career of wearing slim-fitting unis, I tend to doubt it.

Does anyone on the board have a uni of any of these 3 players for size references?
    R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

Banned

Re: A tale (of the tape) of Three Yankees

I've owned Cubs gamers of both One-Dog and Hill. Johnson was a 44 or thereabouts. Hill ran in the 50-52 range.

Dave M.
    Chicago area