Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: ARod's 500th HR ball going to Auction

Fyi, his 500 bat-$50k

his full 500 uniform-$75k

....alex still has them, give him a call! maybe hell except arms and legs.....

Quote Originally Posted by d2ray13 View Post
    Fyi, his 500 bat-$50k

his full 500 uniform-$75k

....alex still has them, give him a call! maybe hell except arms and legs.....
    d2ray13 (sorry i still dont know your first name),

You have to be the most connected high school senior in the hobby. More power to you. When you say full uniform are you saying pants and jersey or more than that like including stirups and belts?

Since you were a repeating customer of Elite and have sold numerous items with Elite COAs on this forum and because you have the largest ARod collection that I have heard here, you must have also asked Scot about the whereabouts of his 500 game items for your own collection.

Steve was told it had been sold privately and you were told that ARod still has it. I guess both could be true if Steve asked after you.

I was under the impression that ARod holds onto high end milestone items until he gets his price and that it's prudent for ARod dealers to only buy it from ARod at his asking price once they have secured a buyer for it with the dealer markup. This was true for other recent items like his bat that passed Mantle on the all-time HR list. Why let your money sit on a item if you can buy an item at the point of profit.

Anyways. It would be cool if someone from the forum were to own either the bat, jersey, or baseball. Hope it happens. Hope it's a west coast buyer too.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Little tidbits of auctioned 500th and 3 cases where the 500th were returned to the player.

A) Top balls sold (from 6/25/2003 http://a.espncdn.com/sportsbusiness/...5/1572871.html)

The homer Value

McGwire's 70th $3M

Aaron's 755th $650,000

Bonds' 73rd $517,500

Murray's 500th $500,000

Mantle's 500th $250,000

McGwire's 500th $250,000

Sosa's 66th $175,000

Ruth's first at Stadium $130,000

Fisk's Series shot $120,000

B) Griffey 500th

In 2004, a southern Illinois man caught Ken Griffey Jr.’s 500th home run ball at old Busch and gave it to the Cincinnati Reds’ star, no questions asked. His reward was being lavished with memorabilia plus a trip to the All-Star game.

C) Jim Thome 500th

While Stewart is passing up whatever the ball could earn at an auction house, he isn't coming away empty-handed. After the game it was announced that he would receive a number of signed pieces of memorabilia and two season tickets for the 2008 season.

In another truly altruistic move, Stewart elected to donate the two season tickets to the charity of Thome's choice. The tickets will be auctioned off during the Joyce Thome Benefit for the Children's Hospital of Illinois, an event named in honor of Thome's late mother.

"As I'm from Austin, Texas, and not from the great city of Chicago and not able to use the season tickets, I've asked to donate the season tickets to your charity for use," Stewart said. "That's the best thing I can think of to give back to the city of Chicago."

D) Frank Thomas 500th

So Thomas was pleasantly surprised when Todd Eisenlohr, a 24-year-old graphic designer from Pennock, Minn., offered him the ball. Eisenlohr, part of a group celebrating his mother’s birthday, reached across two seats to catch the ball — which, he said, might have hit his father on the head. Eisenlohr accepted an autographed jersey from Thomas, a ball and a bat in exchange.

He later said that all he really wanted was to shake Thomas’s hand, which he did after the game. Selling the ball, he said, never crossed his mind. “I don’t really care about that,” he said. “It’s only money.”
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

For all you 500th HR club collectors, there are three days left on the auction for Alex Rodriguez's 500th HR baseball and its at $48,721.

http://www.scpauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=552
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Banned

I'll bet this ball doubles between now and the final bell. suicide-squeeze may be the closest guess so far. I really don't know, I'm not an expert, but it IS a monumental piece of history, and MLB authenticated!!

And one more thing, joelsabi, that list you posted, although very helpful, needs to be updated as it is from 2003.

One item, for sure, that disects that list was Babe Ruth's 712th home run ball. It sold in a Hunt Auction a year or so ago, and it's hammer price was $150,000.00

Add the 15% buyers premium to it, and we're talking a grand total of:

$172,500.00 Add to that shipping and insurance, and we are talking serious collectors only, thank you.

That follows Sosa's 66th and makes 8th on that list assuming no others have slipped in since 2003).

By the way, that Sosa ball? How much do you think it's worth today? $10,000? Maybe $12,000?

Maybe not.

Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'll bet this ball doubles between now and the final bell. suicide-squeeze may be the closest guess so far. I really don't know, I'm not an expert, but it IS a monumental piece of history, and MLB authenticated!!

And one more thing, joelsabi, that list you posted, although very helpful, needs to be updated as it is from 2003.

One item, for sure, that disects that list was Babe Ruth's 712th home run ball. It sold in a Hunt Auction a year or so ago, and it's hammer price was $150,000.00

$172,500.00 Add to that shipping and insurance, and we are talking serious collectors only, thank you.

That follows Sosa's 66th and makes 8th on that list assuming no others have slipped in since 2003).

By the way, that Sosa ball? How much do you think it's worth today? $10,000? Maybe $12,000?

Maybe not.

Buster
    i would like to call someone spending $175K a bigtime collector or bigtime,serious collector. i would hope you can be a serious collector without spending that kind of dough.

that sosa ball lost its luster once mcguire passed up mcgwuire before the season ended. mcfarlane owns all those baseballs and i know that it was part of his trifecta of single season home run baseballs. he said the singles season baseballs were more "romantic" as it took the same amount of games to reach those totals.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

Maybe not.

Buster
    fyi, the 2003 list included commission.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    fyi, the 2003 list included commission.
    Knew that, thanks Joel!! That's why I clarified the prices in my post.

Buster

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    For all you 500th HR club collectors, there are three days left on the auction for Alex Rodriguez's 500th HR baseball and its at $48,721.

http://www.scpauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=552
    two days still left and still at the same bid amount.

i am assuming that there are 8 bidders interested in this item and that they are 500th hr collectors. If my memory serves me right you need to submit a bid prior to the initial closing period to be eligible for the extended bidding period.

when i bid with scp, i try to go in as low a bid as possible just to qualify and then throw in my maximum bid during the extended period. it does not make sence to bid more than once prior to the extended period, thus i assume at this level of collectors, the 8 bids are 8 different people.

is that what you would do?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Joel,

Andrew has a way of making things "come to life".

I'll guess..........$85,000-100,000+ for that home run ball. Remember, he plays in New York for the Bronx Bombers. It's the single most desireable milestone homerun ball of the "500" home run club hitters, their 500th.

The only downside(s) to this offering is the steroid connection, and the economy. Otherwise, the skies the limit on this one.
    Joel - Steve "Suicide_Squeeze" just called me and said that he is in the mix on bidding on the ball.

I laughed and told him that I could see him staying in until it gets to $85,000 so he hits his estimate and he promised me that wouldn't be the case.

Hope he wins it!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500