Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Flags!

Re: Red Flags!

Bears "gamers" made by Wilson from the late 80's and early 90's. The mail-order "authentics" that were available during this time period are identical to Bears team issued jerseys. Bottom line, if it doesn't show game use, you've probably got a "store bought" jersey. I just saw a Payton mail-order sell on ebay for over $800. It was listed as "game used worn". Another just like it went for the more appropriate price of $114 partially because the seller didn't list it as a gamer and because it wasn't even Walter's size. It was a size 38 and Walter wore a 42.

You state that Wilson issued Authentic Bears Jerseys during the late eighties thru the early ninetys that are identical to Bears team issued Jerseys. How can you tell the difference? The one I own seems to have all of the proper tagging for a jersey issued during the late eighties. The only problem with it is I can't identifiy the players name on the back (Wynblade #45) I'm was thinking this could be a replacement player from 1987.but now it could be who ever ordered this jersey had Wilson sew their name on the back. Any additional information anyone can give about these jerseys that Wilson put out would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GLOVEHUNTER View Post
    but now it could be who ever ordered this jersey had Wilson sew their name on the back. Any additional information anyone can give about these jerseys that Wilson put out would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
    During this time period, the Bears jerseys had 2-color heat-pressed NOBs. If it is sewn, then it is most likely a "fan" jersey.

Would the name be heat pressed on a name plate or directly on the Jersey? mine has a name plate.

It should be heat-pressed to a nameplate. I have no knowledge of "scab" jerseys from '87. That deserves a little research.

Nolan Ryan Astros Jerseys with the Goodman tag in the neck, Goodman never put tags in the necks of Astros pull over jerseys they were always in the tail,I personally own 12 and have seen hundreads. They didnt start putting tags in the necks of his jerseys until Ryan was with the Rangers
    Mike Sharon
    george.sharon@cyfairvfd.org

russell athletic mlb "gamers" without a polyester flag tag. sure there are legit gamers out there lacking them, but it always makes me immediately look at the collar to see if a tag was cut out.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOVEHUNTER View Post
    You state that Wilson issued Authentic Bears Jerseys during the late eighties thru the early ninetys that are identical to Bears team issued Jerseys. How can you tell the difference? The one I own seems to have all of the proper tagging for a jersey issued during the late eighties. The only problem with it is I can't identifiy the players name on the back (Wynblade #45) I'm was thinking this could be a replacement player from 1987.but now it could be who ever ordered this jersey had Wilson sew their name on the back. Any additional information anyone can give about these jerseys that Wilson put out would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
    According to the Bears All-Time Roster which includes the "scab" teams from '82 and '87 there was never anybody with that name on the team and that was, of course, Fencik's # from '76 to '87, and nobody had that number again until "Ironhead" Heyward in '93.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hey everyone-
    I thought it might be a good idea to start a master list of game used items which are red flags. Doesn't mean these things are always fakes, it just means that there's reason to question. Please feel free to add to the list with info to back up your statements.
    Share the knowledge!
    Eric

Red Flags in the game used hobby
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Item:
    1994 Brett Favre Packers throwback jersey

Reason:
    Extra blank throwback jerseys were issued in various cuts and have trickled into the market as game used.

See gameusedforum.com archive
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/37997...ERICAN+AUCTION
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is what a letter looks like acknowledging that 36 Favre game cuts were produced and sold to grey flannel...

Name:  favregfc.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  14.5 KB
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Every single 2001 Bonds Jersey signed and said to be game worn. There only has been one real 2001 game worn bonds Jersey on the market. That was listed by Mike Quick and Coveh. All the rest are Jerseys signed with HR numbers and have never seen any game action. The extra tagging is missing under russell. Hoskins said he cut them off before the were sold BS. I have examined many of these Jerseys and there is no way tagging was cut off. The market was flooded with so called Game Used 2001 Jerseys.

ebay item Item number: 130243091647
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=003

Sad collectors have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on these
    Jerseys.